3 rush songs that really drag!!!!

reani14

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Jul 7 2008, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 6 2008, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 6 2008, 11:18 AM)
I think everyone wants to like every Rush song.  Guess what, Rush isn't perfect.  If you find that the song drags, it probably means you don't like the song.
For me it's The way the wind blows, Speed of love, and Everyday Glory

Somehow (maybe I have a disease), I will listen to any Rush song, from Xanadu to Red Tide to Dog Years! Yep, I said it before and I will again, I love Dog Years!

But if I was forced to pick a "dragging" song, I'd probably pick TMMB. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it gets a *little* (not a lot) repetitive. Live, though, it ROCKS! 1022.gif

But you get to hear more of Lifesons' Les Paul... 2.gif 1022.gif

The goldtop reissue? (Proof I'm a geek, I read an article on the making of S&A.)

Yep the camera eye for me, would be way better if it was about 3 1/2 mins shorter I think.

I'm not as big a lover of the 'epics' as many Rush fans, and while I enjoy Cygnus x1 and Hemispheres, I do feel there are times when the same riff could be repeated less often so that the songs moved through more quickly. The waterfall sounds in 2112 tend to bore me a little, that sort of thing.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 6 2008, 11:49 PM)
I think everyone wants to like every Rush song.  Guess what, Rush isn't perfect.  If you find that the song drags, it probably means you don't like the song.

Somehow (maybe I have a disease), I will listen to any Rush song, from Xanadu to Red Tide to Dog Years! Yep, I said it before and I will again, I love Dog Years!

But if I was forced to pick a "dragging" song, I'd probably pick TMMB. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it gets a *little* (not a lot) repetitive. Live, though, it ROCKS! 1022.gif

I agree with Meg.

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 6 2008, 08:33 PM)
Rush fans have got to be the most critical, overanalytical fans ever. ph34r.gif

Your inclusion of the word 'got' was unecessary in your sentence.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Jul 6 2008, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 6 2008, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ Jul 7 2008, 12:26 AM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 6 2008, 06:06 PM)
i think everyone who likes guitar should see the 79 pink pop la villa performance and just watch al go off, hes such an underrated guiarist and alot fo people dont even know al.. i dont think you can judge rush if you never seen the live from the first 3 rows......

i really wish they would release that pink pop clip as an extra on the upcoming dvd.....

Here it is, but I'm sure most have seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtWxyRi8mwY

Always good to see it again; truly awesome.

After the solo where he keeps going up the neck, I scream the Eff word every time. 2.gif 1022.gif

ohmy.gif Shit! I just shit myself at that solo... 1022.gif 2.gif

I'm shocked at all the stoning The Camera Eye is getting for its length! ohmy.gif Absolutely epic song. Jacob's Ladder, too (I hardly see how that one drags on or is too repetitive).

Wow, certainly some tough critics here.

I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned 2112 yet. "Oh, what's with the Discovery crap. Too slow! We need something that rocks!" or "Any 20-minute is a waste of time listening to, and 2112 is no exception. Too long. It DRAGS..."

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Emoticons/HF%20Boards/shakeshead.gif

Edited by Show Don't Tell

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 6 2008, 08:56 AM)
1. main monkey.. good song, but seems to drag a little..
2. secret touch, drags out too long...
3. the way wind blows, could really drop that last verse...

anyone agree..

wtf.gif

not a list of 3 but some songs tha have overly long parts that can go.

working man-the ending

fountain of lamneth-panacea

2112-the beginning of discovery

xanadu-the 1st minute or 2

cygnus x-1-right after the intro narration

hemispheres-beginning of cygnus

la villa-beginning of the song

natural science-the waves at the end

camera eye-the 1st 2:21 that long piece inbetween the parts and the outro

the weapon-after the 2nd chorus

manhatten project-the beginning

show dont tell-beginning

the way the wind blows & spindrift-the beginnings and ends

btw i really like every song on this list,i didnt include any song that i just dont care for.

Edited by dethroned emperor

These long, epic songs that are being ripped on are musical journeys. They are not some casual listen as you're riding the escalator at Penny's. And remember..."the point of the journey is not to arrive."

Personally, I like the longer "journeys". 1022.gif yes.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (Lerxist @ Jul 9 2008, 12:20 AM)
These long, epic songs that are being ripped on are musical journeys. They are not some casual listen as you're riding the escalator at Penny's. And remember..."the point of the journey is not to arrive."

Personally, I like the longer "journeys". 1022.gif yes.gif

Spot on in my opinion! smile.gif

QUOTE (Fallen Catkin @ Jul 7 2008, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 6 2008, 11:49 PM)

I agree with Meg.

laugh.gif

Both Epics from Caress Of Steel just seem to go on and on for me, but Necromancer is significantly more bearable (and better) than Lamneth.

Those 2 along with Secret Touch (it was a tough choice between this one and The Way The Wind Blows)

Holy Shit! I read halfway through this thread before I realized it's nearly 12 years old! Anyway...there are some songs I'm not that crazy about *cough-Dog Years-cough*. But the only song that really drags for me is Ceiling Unlimited. "Winding like an ancient river, this song never ends..."