3 rush songs that really drag!!!!

reani14

Don't agree on Secret Touch or The Way The Wind Blows but I'm kinda with you on The Main Monkey Business...

I do enjoy that song but I don't think it has the magic of La Villa Strangiato, YYZ or even Malignant Narcissism. I think writing a good instrumental is very difficult as to inflict a lasting impression on someone it has to have stronger hooks and melodies than a regular song as there are no lyrics for a person to connect to. While I think The Main Monkey Business has some great musicianship I don't think the hooks are as strong as any of the previously mentioned songs, or indeed those of any other Rush instrumental.

I heard a while back on here it was originally almost three times its length? I therefore do understand why Rush choose to crop it down to size and build on the parts they thougth were strongest, yet I'm not sure they did enough reduction. Certainly not a song I would skip over but I don't get the urge to listen to it as often as I do a tune like YYZ or Where's My Thing. Good song that could have been great had it been shorter.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 6 2008, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 6 2008, 02:06 PM)
"The Camera Eye" drags on too long.

Don't make me write my essay on why The Camera Eye is long and repetitive again! laugh.gif

You know, the song is over praised. If it was half its current length it might be a Rush classic. As is, it's just very good. And too long.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 6 2008, 02:13 PM)

Don't make me write my essay on why The Camera Eye is long and repetitive again! laugh.gif

You know, the song is over praised. If it was half its current length it might be a Rush classic. As is, it's just very good. And too long.

I understand that a lot of the hype surrounding The Camera Eye has a lot to do with the band's outright refusal to peform it live. Personally its not that for me, long before I know of Geddy's attitude towards the song I was hugely in love with it, it was just unfortunate for me that they would never perform it live again. So for me it's nothing to do with that although I understand that's the main reasoning for some people to want the band to bring it back.

I'm quite happy that Bravado (Rush tribute) have taken to including the full length version in every show now. cool.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 6 2008, 01:13 PM)

I just listened to TCE through very good headphones at a high volume and I tell you that it sounded so..... epic! Sounded much better than when I usually listened to it ( and believe me, it still sounded great then!)

Oh and Secret Touch does not deserve to even be mentioned in this thread no.gif

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks the hype over TCE is way overblown. I always thought I'd get flamed for making that statement!

TRK, you're right on the money. If they had just quietly dropped it from the setlist I don't think it would have attained such lofty and mythical proportions among fans. It's a great song, but most of their other epics are better.

Oh, and I think Ghost of A Chance drags. Let the bd.gif begin.

TMMB doesnt drag on at all, IMO. its so cool to listen to, its like a mystical journey atop a pink monkey when i listen to it.

Secret Touch is a brilliant piece of music, needs NO changes.

TWTWB does go on a little too long with the "We can only grow the way the wind bloowwwss..", but i still love it anyway

i love secret touch. love his voice on it.

songs that drag for me are the ones with long solos. kind of like working man and by-tor and the snow dog. idk it just gets on my nerves after a while laugh.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jul 6 2008, 02:46 PM)
i love secret touch. love his voice on it.

songs that drag for me are the ones with long solos. kind of like working man and by-tor and the snow dog. idk it just gets on my nerves after a while laugh.gif

Except The Return Of The Prince. I could listen to that solo for aaages! I wish it was longer yes.gif

"Dog Years" drags from the 0:01 mark thru 4:55. If I were in a debate how great RUSh is and how brilliant Neil lyrics are and my opponent brought up this song I would retreat as quickly as possible with tail (sorry bad pun) between my legs.

Yeah, I agree on TMMB. I prefer Mal Nar on S&A anyway.

Edited by ashpkt
  • Like 1

I think everyone wants to like every Rush song. Guess what, Rush isn't perfect. If you find that the song drags, it probably means you don't like the song.

For me it's The way the wind blows, Speed of love, and Everyday Glory

Edited by hope70

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 6 2008, 06:13 AM)

You're right! 2.gif 1022.gif should make 3 minute pop songs from now on. Wonder if you think 2112, Xanadu, Hemisheres should be cropped too. No 2.gif song is too long. 1022.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Jul 6 2008, 12:29 PM)

You're right! 2.gif 1022.gif should make 3 minute pop songs from now on. Wonder if you think 2112, Xanadu, Hemisheres should be cropped too. No 2.gif song is too long. 1022.gif

eyesre4.gif

I disagree with the initial post; I think all three of those songs are awesome. Are they long? Yes. Are they too long? I can see where some would think so, but I like them as is. "Secret Touch" is long in a Dead-like trippy way - during a late section of the song, my mind drifts away to pleasant thoughts, and when the vocals/repeated theme return, I'm brought back to reality. "Oh yeah, I was listening to 'Secret Touch'! Where was I?" It's kinda nice. laugh.gif

I'll agree with whoever said "Ghost of a Chance" drags. I think it does - probably because it's so slow, and it's as "love song" as the band gets. No thanks; play something that really cooks, please.

I know I'm going to get shot for this but..

Xanadu. I think the beginning could get cut down a little. I like the lyrics and everything, the introduction with the bird sounds and percussion and such can get shorted down a minute or so. Don't get me wrong, I love the beginning with all the elements of sound, I just don't want to listen to such a long introduction.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 6 2008, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Jul 6 2008, 12:29 PM)

eyesre4.gif

I agree with ReRushed. TCE drags on and on. Its still a really good song but its just too repetitive.

I love Secret Touch! I didn't at first, but it grew on me big time. I'm kinda bummed it got dropped from the setlist.

TMMB is also a favorite, but I think I'd like it better without the vocals.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 6 2008, 09:13 AM)

Not for me! I love it and have from the first day i heard it. It's perfect.

• Like 1

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 6 2008, 08:56 AM)
1. main monkey.. good song, but seems to drag a little..
2. secret touch, drags out too long...
3. the way wind blows, could really drop that last verse...

anyone agree..

The only thing that is too long, not songs, but the breaks between new Rush releases. I need new Rush!

cool.gif