Your favorite philosophical quotes

Jack Aubrey

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlotte Bronte--Life appears to be too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrong. Edited by Boots

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

--Maya Angelou

Edited by Boots

Words of advice...from Lisa Dalbello:

Need is good. Neediness is not.

Listening is good. Selective listening is not.

Trust is earned. Mistrust is learned. Distrust comes from getting burned.

Holding on is good. Holding on too long is probably not.

Holding out can be exciting. Withholding is cruel and unkind.

Loving yourself is good. Being in love with your self-image is not.

It's not what you say. It's a lot what you do.

And honesty's like fate: it matters in the end.

"Poor kids,"Bill sighed. "Strange when you actually think of it. What's happenned, it's what many of them have wished for, for years.

That one guy, Though, with the 'stop Globalization'sign, him i never liked.

Talks the peace bullshit line to score with the girls, but down deep he is a potential killer.

Real Anarchist, hell, if he could have pulled the plug he'd of done it and laughed.

"Regarddless of that, most of them are OK, and besides, it's a free country, isn't it?"

He chuckled sadly and shook his head.

"They don't get it now. If this is as bad as I think it is... they'll be the first to die. They don't know how to survive without a society that supports them even as they curse it or rebel against it."

He sighed.

"Once they run out of food, then the reality will set in, but by that point,

anyone with a gun will tell them to kiss off if they come begging. And if those poor kids, if they have food, the ones with guns will take it.

They're used to free clinics, homeless shelters when they need 'em, former hippie types smiling and giving them a few bucks. That's all finished. They'll die like flies, poor kids, NO IDEA WHATSOEVER HOW VICIOUS THE WORLD CAN REALLY BE WHEN IT"S SCARED AND HUNGRY."

"Damn, I hate to see it. Wish their idealisms were true."

"Gandhi and Stalin"

"What?" John asked.

I used to tell Monica That when we'd get into politics. She'd always talk about how great Gandhi was. I'd tell her the only reason Gandhi survived after his first protest was he was dealing with the Brits.

If Stalin had been running India, he'd of been dead in a second, his name forgotten."

John filed that one away; it was a good point.

From The Book - One second after.

Author - William R. Forstchen

QUOTE (RUSHAMILEHIGH @ Dec 5 2010, 06:31 PM)
"Poor kids,"Bill sighed. "Strange when you actually think of it. What's happenned, it's what many of them have wished for, for years.
Talks the peace bullshit line to score with the girls, but down deep he is a potential killer.
Real Anarchist, hell, if he could have pulled the plug he'd of done it and laughed.

"Regarddless of that, most of them are OK, and besides, it's a free country, isn't it?"

"They don't get it now. If this is as bad as I think it is... they'll be the first to die. They don't know how to survive without a society that supports them even as they curse it or rebel against it."

He sighed.

anyone with a gun will tell them to kiss off if they come begging. And if those poor kids, if they have food, the ones with guns will take it.
They're used to free clinics, homeless shelters when they need 'em, former hippie types smiling and giving them a few bucks. That's all finished. They'll die like flies, poor kids, NO IDEA WHATSOEVER HOW VICIOUS THE WORLD CAN REALLY BE WHEN IT"S SCARED AND HUNGRY."

"Gandhi and Stalin"
"What?" John asked.

I used to tell Monica That when we'd get into politics. She'd always talk about how great Gandhi was. I'd tell her the only reason Gandhi survived after his first protest was he was dealing with the Brits.
If Stalin had been running India, he'd of been dead in a second, his name forgotten."

I like that, I once heard someone say that if the Japanese had made it as far as India they'd have found Gandhi's bayonetted and beheaded corpse floating down the Ganges.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 5 2010, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHAMILEHIGH @ Dec 5 2010, 06:31 PM)

He sighed.

They're used to free clinics, homeless shelters when they need 'em, former hippie types smiling and giving them a few bucks. That's all finished. They'll die like flies, poor kids,  NO IDEA WHATSOEVER HOW VICIOUS THE WORLD CAN REALLY BE WHEN IT"S SCARED AND HUNGRY."

"Gandhi and Stalin"
"What?" John asked.

I like that, I once heard someone say that if the Japanese had made it as far as India they'd have found Gandhi's bayonetted and beheaded corpse floating down the Ganges.

If you like that, you would love the book.

It's about an EMP happening in the U.S. and how fast our lives would fall apart.

There's a time for everything, including Heart & Sarah Mclachlan.

Hopefully I'll get to see both of them in 2011.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

From The Holy Bible (King James Version)

Attributed to King Solomon

To everything there is a season, and

a time to every purpose under heaven:

A time to be born, and

a time to die;

a time to plant, and

a time to pluck up

that which is planted;

A time to kill, and

a time to heal;

a time to break down, and

a time to build up;

A time to weep, and

a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and

a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and

a time to gather stones together;

a time to embrace, and

a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and

a time to lose;

a time to keep, and

a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and

a time to sew;

a time to keep silence, and

a time to speak;

A time to love, and

a time to hate;

a time of war; and

a time of peace.

Edited by Boots

"Only those who are willing to die are fit to live." -Captain Joseph Rhett Barker II.

This world has been attacked, mistreated, and disrespected; but the world isn't over: Live as if it was- Nathan Guerrette

The world doesn't belong to us, we belong to the world.- Nathan Guerrette

QUOTE (Tinwoodsman @ Jan 30 2009, 11:24 PM)
... a horse that farts will never tire; a man that farts is the man to hire.

the mighty unknown

That's funny because my grandfather always told me "never buy a horse that doesn't fart."

I guess there is some truth to that and he wasn't just trying to be a nut. laugh.gif

The greatest power lies in the unexplained.

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? -George Eliot

Above the clouds, the sun is always shining.

Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

You have to have dreams, or how else will they come true? -Astronaut Michael Fincke

Ideals are like the stars; we may never reach them, but we can set our course by them. -Carl Schurz

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. -John Wooden

There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going. -Beverly Sills

We may not be responsible for getting down, but we are responsible for getting up.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought. -Albert von Szent-Gyorgy

If being the best was easy, then everyone would do it.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

You can't have everything, so you must decide what you want most.

The world is change; life is opinion. -Democritus

It is not possible to step twice into the same river. -Heraclitus

Not from the start did the gods reveal all things to mortals, but in time, by inquiring, they make better discoveries.

All men have opinions, but few think. -Berkeley

Just because a path is well beaten is no proof it's the right one.

The easiest way to accept change is to be part of it.

The woods would be such a quiet place if only the best birds would sing.

It's not the sugar that makes the tea sweet, but the stirring.

Sooner or later, you've heard about all your best friends have to say. Then comes the tolerance of real love. -Ned Rorem

We are all students, and our teacher is life and time. -Mikhail Gorbachev

And lastly...

You don't stop having fun when you grow old. You grow old when you stop having fun.