Wall-E

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 7 2008, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 7 2008, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 7 2008, 11:54 AM)
We were able to take our oldest to this movie yesterday, unexpectedly.  All three of us loved it.  I was already emotional, and I cried a time or two.

It was just beautifully done, and such an honest commentary on what human nature has become.

Anybody doubt that 99% of the people on this planet wouldn't jump at the chance to ride around in a hover chair, with food delivered instantly, and a screen that stays 5 inches from your face?

I doubt it! yes.gif

What happened to the human characters in Wall-E happened because they were denied a choice. When they were given an alternative they fought for it.

I think the movie celebrated the human spirit.

And I don't think it's a masterpiece.

I never said it was a masterpiece, myself. It was good.

Those people weren't tied to those chairs, you know. And the "We have a POOL?" thing? They were too busy staring at their screens to notice until they were forced out of their chairs. They had choices, they just didn't take advantage of them.

Yes, sure, it celebrated the human spirit - in the end. But I know way too many people who already sit on their asses all day long, staring at the TV, feeding their faces...

Or maybe I'm just extra-cynical.

The masterpiece statement wasn't necessarily directed towards you. Sorry.

Ignorance is bliss. The characters were not given a choice. The film established it quite clearly. They were "raised" to be obedient and not to question things. That was the whole point.

They finally realized the choices that life offers when the started questioning the nanny state they were raised in. You gotta do things for yourself and sacrifice along the way! Just like Wall-E did!

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 7 2008, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 28 2008, 05:34 PM)
Excellent Pixar film. Not terribly kid-oriented. It's more a (serious) social sattire and love story combined. Very poignant and touching. The kids in the crowd were very quiet and seemed genuinely bored, but I loved it..(and really don't give a crap what the present generation of little A.D.D.-laden brats find uninteresting anyhow)! One of the most earnest romance stories I've seen in some time.

4-stars of 5

My daughter saw it with her grampa and she loved it. She is 7 years old. She wants to see it again.

Just an observation in my area at my showing is all.

trink39.gif

Who knows, maybe the lack of dialogue is a plus.

On TV I actually saw some folks reviewing a film (exit poll kind of thing...for a different film) and one person actually said, "It was great! There wasn't a lot of dialogue and story, which helped a lot because when they talk in films it's sooooo boring!!!"

god.help.us.all

Edited by Presto-digitation

Oh and don't NOT take your kids..! By all means, if you have a pulse you should go see this film, fetuses and Depends-wearers alike. It's probably the best film I've seen all year and infinitely more enjoyable (and well-crafted) than Indiana Jones...which KILLS me to admit. Let your kids make up their own minds.

I just live in red-neck central, where teeth are a commodity and "y'ins" is a word..!!! Nothing surprises me around here.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 7 2008, 02:55 PM)
We were able to take our oldest to this movie yesterday, unexpectedly.  All three of us loved it.  I was already emotional, and I cried a time or two.

It was just beautifully done, and such an honest commentary on what human nature has become.

Anybody doubt that 99% of the people on this planet wouldn't jump at the chance to ride around in a hover chair, with food delivered instantly, and a screen that stays 5 inches from your face?

I doubt it! yes.gif

What happened to the human characters in Wall-E happened because they were denied a choice. When they were given an alternative they fought for it.

Those people weren't tied to those chairs, you know. And the "We have a POOL?" thing? They were too busy staring at their screens to notice until they were forced out of their chairs. They had choices, they just didn't take advantage of them.

Yes, sure, it celebrated the human spirit - in the end. But I know way too many people who already sit on their asses all day long, staring at the TV, feeding their faces...

Not cynical. Hopeful, yet discontent. Like George Carlin. I was fortunate to see him 3 weeks before he died. In his routine, he was rippin' the human race a new a-hole, but I don't think he would be performing that material if he wasn't hopeful it would stir some change in some people. He would have had a field day with this movie.

I was also surprised that it seemed like no one but my wife and me laughed at the sound when Wall-E's solar charge finished. It got us every time.

Stay in the 1%. As Rush fans, that shouldn't be difficult. We tend to "deviate from the norm".

Sayin'?

QUOTE (eguy @ Jul 8 2008, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 7 2008, 02:55 PM)

I doubt it! yes.gif

Not cynical. Hopeful, yet discontent. Like George Carlin. I was fortunate to see him 3 weeks before he died. In his routine, he was rippin' the human race a new a-hole, but I don't think he would be performing that material if he wasn't hopeful it would stir some change in some people. He would have had a field day with this movie.

I was also surprised that it seemed like no one but my wife and me laughed at the sound when Wall-E's solar charge finished. It got us every time.

Stay in the 1%. As Rush fans, that shouldn't be difficult. We tend to "deviate from the norm".

Sayin'?

Hearin'.

Right on, man. trink39.gif

Anyone else notice that the exact same things happened in this movie that happened in finding nemo? Dad loses nemo, dad looks for nemo, dad finds nemo, nemo almost dies. they live happily ever after. Wall E loses eva, wall e looks for eva, wall e finds eva, wall e almost dies, wall e and eva live happily ever after.

Same thing, Different characters... ohmy.gif

QUOTE (RushRush10 @ Jul 14 2008, 11:57 AM)
Anyone else notice that the exact same things happened in this movie that happened in finding nemo? Dad loses nemo, dad looks for nemo, dad finds nemo, nemo almost dies. they live happily ever after. Wall E loses eva, wall e looks for eva, wall e finds eva, wall e almost dies, wall e and eva live happily ever after.

Same thing, Different characters... ohmy.gif

thank for the spoiler. angry.gif