Wall-E

Presto-digitation

Excellent Pixar film. Not terribly kid-oriented. It's more a (serious) social sattire and love story combined. Very poignant and touching. The kids in the crowd were very quiet and seemed genuinely bored, but I loved it..(and really don't give a crap what the present generation of little A.D.D.-laden brats find uninteresting anyhow)! One of the most earnest romance stories I've seen in some time.

4-stars of 5

Edited by Presto-digitation

That's not to say there aren't plenty of hijinks afoot and fun (physical comedy-based) moments...there are. But there was definite restless-kid sydrome going on in my showing, often vocally-so...(kids asking parents what was happening and when it got better...LOL).

The kids simply do not get the 30/40-something-based pop culture references (and there are plenty of wonderful ones, particularly within Wall-E's abode)...and the social commentary will be as over their head as M*A*S*H was to me at age 7. The deliberate pace of the romance and lonliness angles are incredibly moving (I actually teared up at one point), but most kids will find that stuff adult and boring.

Now ask me if I give a shit. biggrin.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 28 2008, 10:18 PM)
That's not to say there aren't plenty of hijinks afoot and fun (physical comedy-based) moments...there are. But there was definite restless-kid sydrome going on in my showing, often vocally-so...(kids asking parents what was happening and when it got better...LOL).

The kids simply do not get the 30/40-something-based pop culture references (and there are plenty of wonderful ones, particularly within Wall-E's abode)...and the social commentary will be as over their head as M*A*S*H was to me at age 7. The deliberate pace of the romance and lonliness angles are incredibly moving (I actually teared up at one point), but most kids will find that stuff adult and boring.

Now ask me if I give a shit. biggrin.gif

My kids are dying to see this movie... laugh.gif

I've got a very precocious 10 year old son...you think it'll still be way over his head? He's also dying to see this.

Some of the themes are over the very young's head but a 10 year old is going to dig it. Heck most of the themes in the classic Warner Bros. cartoons were over my head as a kid, and I can appreciate them now, but it didn't stop me from loving Bugs and Daffy etc. when I was young. wink.gif The reason real little kids might get bored is there is almost no dialogue in the first half of the movie. But that is where Pixar shines; pure story telling. When I saw it all the kids were laughing like crazy.

i might take my friend's 13 year old to see is. she's smart, but really immature for her age. i'm sure she'll like it. i do enjoy some of these newer kids films, but you still can't beat the classics. when everything was drawn by hand. but i like that the kids movies now aren't just for kids.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 29 2008, 09:07 AM)
I've got a very precocious 10 year old son...you think it'll still be way over his head? He's also dying to see this.

10 is probably safe. Really comes down to their personality. Under 10 is probably utter boredom. There are times when NOTHING but subtle stuff is happening and no dialogue through large stretches of the film, most notably the first 20 minutes or so.

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 29 2008, 11:15 AM)
Some of the themes are over the very young's head but a 10 year old is going to dig it. Heck most of the themes in the classic Warner Bros. cartoons were over my head as a kid, and I can appreciate them now, but it didn't stop me from loving Bugs and Daffy etc. when I was young. wink.gif The reason real little kids might get bored is there is almost no dialogue in the first half of the movie. But that is where Pixar shines; pure story telling. When I saw it all the kids were laughing like crazy.

I live around white trash trailer park southern hicks, so that might explain things on my end. tongue.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jun 29 2008, 11:26 AM)
i might take my friend's 13 year old to see is. she's smart, but really immature for her age. i'm sure she'll like it. i do enjoy some of these newer kids films, but you still can't beat the classics. when everything was drawn by hand. but i like that the kids movies now aren't just for kids.

Me too. People "our" age making films...very cool. I'm HUGE into American pop culture anyhow, so I really dig Pixar's films, their adult sensibilites, etc.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 29 2008, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jun 29 2008, 11:26 AM)

Me too. People "our" age making films...very cool. I'm HUGE into American pop culture anyhow, so I really dig Pixar's films, their adult sensibilites, etc.

I saw the ad on TV and saw where some character is hitting a computer and the lats one starts playing "Axel F." from Bev. Hills Cop. I thought it was funny for obvious reasons, but the kids thought it was funny just because it wasnt what was supposed to happen... thats one of those moments...

I'll prob go with my kids and see...

Wall-E was very adorable and heart-warming. I admit I shed a few tears towards the end! I'm planning on going to see it again... probably at the drive-in. smile.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 28 2008, 05:34 PM)
Excellent Pixar film. Not terribly kid-oriented. It's more a (serious) social sattire and love story combined. Very poignant and touching. The kids in the crowd were very quiet and seemed genuinely bored, but I loved it..(and really don't give a crap what the present generation of little A.D.D.-laden brats find uninteresting anyhow)! One of the most earnest romance stories I've seen in some time.

4-stars of 5

Umm..I have an ADD-laden brat.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 5 2008, 07:00 PM)

4-stars of 5

Umm..I have an ADD-laden brat.

I have three...

We were able to take our oldest to this movie yesterday, unexpectedly. All three of us loved it. I was already emotional, and I cried a time or two.

It was just beautifully done, and such an honest commentary on what human nature has become.

Anybody doubt that 99% of the people on this planet wouldn't jump at the chance to ride around in a hover chair, with food delivered instantly, and a screen that stays 5 inches from your face?

4-stars of 5

My daughter saw it with her grampa and she loved it. She is 7 years old. She wants to see it again.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 7 2008, 11:54 AM)
We were able to take our oldest to this movie yesterday, unexpectedly. All three of us loved it. I was already emotional, and I cried a time or two.

It was just beautifully done, and such an honest commentary on what human nature has become.

Anybody doubt that 99% of the people on this planet wouldn't jump at the chance to ride around in a hover chair, with food delivered instantly, and a screen that stays 5 inches from your face?

I doubt it! yes.gif

What happened to the human characters in Wall-E happened because they were denied a choice. When they were given an alternative they fought for it.

I think the movie celebrated the human spirit.

And I don't think it's a masterpiece.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 7 2008, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 7 2008, 11:54 AM)
We were able to take our oldest to this movie yesterday, unexpectedly.  All three of us loved it.  I was already emotional, and I cried a time or two.

I doubt it! yes.gif

What happened to the human characters in Wall-E happened because they were denied a choice. When they were given an alternative they fought for it.

I think the movie celebrated the human spirit.

And I don't think it's a masterpiece.

I never said it was a masterpiece, myself. It was good.

Those people weren't tied to those chairs, you know. And the "We have a POOL?" thing? They were too busy staring at their screens to notice until they were forced out of their chairs. They had choices, they just didn't take advantage of them.

Yes, sure, it celebrated the human spirit - in the end. But I know way too many people who already sit on their asses all day long, staring at the TV, feeding their faces...

Or maybe I'm just extra-cynical.