Bassist's Finger?

happysmiles007

i've been playing so much the past 3 wks, i've developed a crater in my index finger..it's so chapped, & if i play for more than 10 mins, it really starts to hurt. my dad says i just need to keep playing & it'll go away, but in the meantime, does anybody know of anything i can do to ease the pain so i can play longer? confused13.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 5 2005, 06:43 PM)
Is it the index finger on your right hand (plucking hand)? Do you use just your index finger or two or three fingers?

1-0-0, we're supposed to be talking about playing the bass. Not asking personal questions like this.. laugh.gif

Just your index! your lucky!! we drummers, well could be just me but I have a callous on every finger....sometimes 2 on one.....takes about a good year to make it go away if you keep playing tho...

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 5 2005, 06:32 PM)
i've been playing so much the past 3 wks, i've developed a crater in my index finger..it's so chapped, & if i play for more than 10 mins, it really starts to hurt.  my dad says i just need to keep playing & it'll go away, but in the meantime, does anybody know of anything i can do to ease the pain so i can play longer?  confused13.gif

Can you not wear protection on the affected area, like a thin plaster or something. It obviously doesn't want to be too thick as you would take away the sensation....(of playing that is! laugh.gif )

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Feb 5 2005, 07:10 PM)
Can you not wear protection on the affected area, like a thin plaster or something. It obviously doesn't want to be too thick as you would take away the sensation....(of playing that is! laugh.gif )

well, MY dad'd probably opt for superglue.. laugh.gif

haha!! i know EXACTLY what you mean.. tongue.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 5 2005, 07:08 PM)
oh yea....I forgot the sticks in the eyes as well (got another black eye from that as well)....I think I may be ust clumsy! lol

lol!! sounds painful!! i always get hit in the head w/ the neck, i'm not sure how i manage it..maybe we're both just clumsy tongue.gif

there is a certain kind of bandage tape that I use, it comes in a role and is completely waterproof. I would suggest wrapping the area in something like that while you play and use vaseline or some kind of moisturizer on it while you are not playing it to get it to heal faster. If you cannot get a hold of any of that stuff, then try something like electrical tape or duct tape, anything you can use to cover over the spot would be better for you.

Also keep playing, in a few more weeks, you will develope nice callouses on your fingers and you wont have that problem anymore. Nice to see you taking up the bass, it is definatly very fun to play. Personally I use my index, middle, ring, and pinky, only sparingly throwing my thumb in the mix (for my right hand).

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 5 2005, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 5 2005, 07:08 PM)
oh yea....I forgot the sticks in the eyes as well (got another black eye from that as well)....I think I may be ust clumsy! lol

lol!! sounds painful!! i always get hit in the head w/ the neck, i'm not sure how i manage it..maybe we're both just clumsy tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

sounds good to me..is there a certain brand i should get?

most definitely a very fun instrument..it's a little bit slower-paced than the guitar (by no means easier, but i have trouble with the coordination in that respect tongue.gif ) but i love the growl it gives. i guess what i love most about playing it is that you don't see a whole lot of girls who do..

mostly for me it's my index, then middle, then ring..i can't recall a time when i've ever had to use my pinky, you must be in serious! i like to use my thumb for the solo part in Driven & if there's 3+ notes in quick succession..like the intro for Back in Black..my other fingers just don't move fast enough.

thanks all!! i think i'll try moonraker's tape before i superglue it.. tongue.gif

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 5 2005, 07:33 PM)

I was just going to say that Flea from the Chili Peppers crazy glues his fingers when they open up, especially his thumb from when he slaps. It's not the best thing in the world for your skin, that's for sure.

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/images/cart/344.jpg

Finger ease is a spray on string lubricant and protector. A light mist up the neck and your strings will feel smooth as silk. Very helpful to beginners with tender fingers and players who play for extended periods of time. Or, if you just want to help speed up your playing, finger ease may be for you. It helps add life span to your strings by protecting them from the acidity of your sweat which is what corrodes stings.

www.worldmusicsupply.com/guitars/accessories

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 5 2005, 08:40 PM)
QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 5 2005, 07:33 PM)

I was just going to say that Flea from the Chili Peppers crazy glues his fingers when they open up, especially his thumb from when he slaps. It's not the best thing in the world for your skin, that's for sure.

really?! crazy, ack I would never do that! lol smile.gif trink36.gif

yeah, it wouldn't be the best thing for MY skin, but hey, if it comes to that..then i'd rather go for superglue than stop playing. i know, so dedicated. tongue.gif

that fret spray stuff sounds awesome!! i think i'll get me some..thanks Drumnut! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 6 2005, 11:01 AM)
yeah, it wouldn't be the best thing for MY skin, but hey, if it comes to that..then i'd rather go for superglue than stop playing. i know, so dedicated. tongue.gif

that fret spray stuff sounds awesome!! i think i'll get me some..thanks Drumnut! biggrin.gif

i'm guessing you have a band? Yea thats good that you have dedication....you need it to play your best. Heh I need a band...do you understand how many times I say that line? Too meny times lol. I use tape sometimes...but I think it just makes it worse...and I can't grip anything....doesn't feel natural, but that spray stuff looks cool!

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 6 2005, 01:08 PM)
i'm guessing you have a band? Yea thats good that you have dedication....you need it to play your best. Heh I need a band...do you understand how many times I say that line? Too meny times lol. I use tape sometimes...but I think it just makes it worse...and I can't grip anything....doesn't feel natural, but that spray stuff looks cool!

yups..all girls, all 14, & all we're lacking is a singer..can you sing? wink.gif we're the Heavy Metal Accidents, & my mom was our first fan. tongue.gif

VERY true. i'm sure you'd know this, since you've been playing guitar for 7 ( ohmy.gif ) years!! i hope my dedication lasts that long! biggrin.gif

i'm sure there's a group out there looking for a drummer..you're a pretty cool chick, i'm sure it won't take you long to find a band. it took us a WHILE to find a drummer. if worse comes to worse, find another musician & start your own band.. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't recommend any vaseline under a wrap. This will only soften the skin and defeat the callus. You want to toughen the skin. Occasionally I will wrap my plucking fingers with a single layer sport cloth tape.

I took a month off of regular playing and now my calluses are almost totally soft. They got a little tender after a recent rehearsal. When they get tender I'll take a day off and then play for at least an hour the next time or until they get tender again. But the more you play the faster they will harden. If you get blisters or the calluses break off CrazyGLue will work in a pinch. Stevie Ray Vaughan used to do this. I have read and know guys who also have done this.

For those of you that don't know CrazyGlue was developed in part as a battlefield suture.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

yeah, i've been putting some lotion on my hands to try & defeat the dry skin of winter, should i just skip my fingertips with that?

i've always played, but not as seriously as i am now, & it's really starting not only to hurt, but to itch like crazy!! it's super-annoying, & i'll do anything i can to get it to quit!

as for that battle suture stuff..you learn something new everyday! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 7 2005, 09:09 AM)
yeah, i've been putting some lotion on my hands to try & defeat the dry skin of winter, should i just skip my fingertips with that?

i've always played, but not as seriously as i am now, & it's really starting not only to hurt, but to itch like crazy!! it's super-annoying, & i'll do anything i can to get it to quit!

as for that battle suture stuff..you learn something new everyday! biggrin.gif

Lol, if it starts to itch, just keep playing your bass biggrin.gif