What Are We Drinking Tonight??

Midway Hawker

Well the Jupiter fest (see post #3504) was a gas, as usual. Some 59 exhibitors-craft brewers, brewpubs, etc.- turned out, and by the time I was done, I probably had 20 4 ounce samples of various brews.

Most of the lagers were drain pours, with the exception of Innis & Gunn's version aged with chips from rum casks.

One brewer had an eggnog infused ale-yuck.

Mostly it was the stouts and poretrs that held my attention: An imperial stout infused with chocolate and chili peppers. Funky Buddha's Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, which had me 40 deep in a line of 200 waiting for it to be tapped. A "Chocolate Brown Porter" by one member of a homebrew club with notes of carmel and vanilla, similar to Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout.

But the star IMHO was a firikin brought in by Founders Brewing. A chocolate porter infused with rum soaked cofee beans. Yowza, kept going back there, and downed 4 or 5 of those beauties!

The dog of the show was the food. Pulled pork tacos that did not look good, and pretzel bites in mustard cheese sauce not much better. I took the 3rd option, a bratwurst in prezel bun so tasteless no amount of kraut and mustard could save it. Sack the caterers!

This was my 4th trip to the JCBF, and the beer gets better every year. :hail:

A whole bunch of goodies-pre,during, and post Super Bowl.

New Belgium Fat Tire, Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Oskar Blue's Dales Pale Ale.

A Dos Equis will go into the chili pot, and two Negra Modelo's to drink with the chili.

Finish with a Terrapin Moo Hoo, and a bit of Labaude XO Armagnac.

Oban 14? I see we have another man of taste and decency here.

Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Hints of wood smoke, hints of the sea. This is a great highland whisky; one of my first single-malts.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Oban 14? I see we have another man of taste and decency here.

Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Hints of wood smoke, hints of the sea. This is a great highland whisky; one of my first single-malts.

:cheers:

I've only been exploring Scotch for about a year, so I'm still a novice. I had been drinking Dalwhinnie 15, but found it too delicate. I discovered Oban in my search for something similar but more full-bodied, and it was a great find!

• Like 1