Black Sabbath...

ozzy85

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jun 17 2008, 02:07 PM)
I find it interesting that Sabotage gets such a high rating from people.  It seems to be a fave on the Sabbath site I hang out at.  Oddly, it came out during a time of chaos in the band (bad management, trying to put a lid on drug use,) but is such a consistently good album.

I've seen Ozzy live a couple of times, but not Black Sabbath.  I'm hoping to rectify that with Heaven and Hell.  It's basically the Sabbath '82-83 lineup.

I will alway's remember the first time I heard Sabotage when it first came out. My friend called me on the phone and said to come over and listen to it. I was hooked in a matter of minutes!! Something about the sound, it seemed different from the previous albums. To me the guitar seemed heavier in a way. JMO!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 17 2008, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jun 17 2008, 04:42 PM)
The only Sabbath albums I have are the self-titled debut, Paranoid, and Master of Reality, and I like all of them, quite a lot, especially Paranoid.  1022.gif

I need to ask my dad if he has any more Sabbath vinyls he can convert before I go on a buying spree...

Sabotage wink.gif trink39.gif

Sabotage rules!

http://www.msn101.com/content/Emoticons/slayerguitar_3921U2.gifhttp://www.msn101.com/content/Emoticons/slayerguitar_3921U2.gifhttp://www.msn101.com/content/Emoticons/slayerguitar_3921U2.gifhttp://www.msn101.com/content/Emoticons/punk16_QZXAHB.gif

Since Blizzard of Ozz was the album that got me into hard rock, Sabbath soon followed. Master of Reality is my fav w/ Ozzy and Heaven and Hell w/ Ronnie.

Didn't think I'd ever see them live with Ozzy or Dio, but now I've seen them a couple times each thanks to the tours they've done in the last decade. And a couple years ago, I even got to meet Ozzy and Tony. Won a KLOS radio call-in contest for a Black Box CD set, then won the grand prize to meet them and sit in while they did the Rockline Radio show:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/CRSCHKUM6/IMbb/Rockline_2004.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/CRSCHKUM6/IMbb/SG01.jpg

Gibson SG signed by Tony

I'm a huge fan. The thing I like most in Sabbath is Tony's guitar sound, so I don't mind much the singers. My favourite albums are 1st, Paranoid, Sabotage, Born Again, Eternal Idol and Dehumanizer. That's Dio Masterpiece IMHO.

plain and simple, no sabbath =no metal

I like:

Master of Reality

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Born Again

Mob Rules

I have others but never quite got into them as much. My junior year of high school (Fall 85- Spring 86) was my Sabbath period. It was quite common for me to play "master of reality" right after playing "Power Windows".

I seem to be one of a handful of folks who really like "Born Again". Fave songs include "Trashed", "Disturbing the Priest", "Zero the Hero", "Digital Bitch", and "Hot Line"

Master of Reality is good all the way through.

QUOTE (Puckfiend @ Jun 17 2008, 11:35 PM)
Since Blizzard of Ozz was the album that got me into hard rock, Sabbath soon followed. Master of Reality is my fav w/ Ozzy and Heaven and Hell w/ Ronnie.

Didn't think I'd ever see them live with Ozzy or Dio, but now I've seen them a couple times each thanks to the tours they've done in the last decade. And a couple years ago, I even got to meet Ozzy and Tony. Won a KLOS radio call-in contest for a Black Box CD set, then won the grand prize to meet them and sit in while they did the Rockline Radio show:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/CRSCHKUM6/IMbb/Rockline_2004.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/CRSCHKUM6/IMbb/SG01.jpg
Gibson SG signed by Tony

Same here! I heard Ozzy first, then Black Sabbath later. This was in the early '80's, so I actually thought Black Sabbath was a Dio band. It wasn't until someone brought me a copy of Paranoid that I believed Ozzy was in Sabbath!

BTW, nice axe. SG's are cool.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 17 2008, 02:33 PM)
I can't f***ing stand Ozzy Osbourne or his horrible, horrible lyrics, that said I consider Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master Of Reality absolutely brilliant albums. Nothing touches Heaven & Hell though.

Wow! Tell us how you REALLY feel! tongue.gif

Black Sabbath are right up there with Rush on my list of favorites yes.gif Being the huge metal fan that I am, I realize Sabbath greatly influenced many of the other bands I love. I own all the stuff from the Ozzy-era, and plan on getting some Dio-era stuff too. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath probably ranks as my favorite, but really they're all great.

And these Ozzy haters around here need to wake up.... Ozzy rules!! 1022.gif tongue.gif Love his solo stuff too yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 17 2008, 03:33 PM)
I can't f***ing stand Ozzy Osbourne or his horrible, horrible lyrics, that said I consider Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master Of Reality absolutely brilliant albums. Nothing touches Heaven & Hell though.

That's where you're wrong RK, Ozzy didn't write the lyrics in Sabbath, bar Who Are You?, Geezer Butler wrote them. And even his solo stuff is not penned by him, Bob Daisley wrote the lyrics for Blizzard of Oz and every album up to and including No More Tears, which is how they came to have the big lawsuit a while back after non-payment of royalties. Ozzy can't write lyrics.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jun 18 2008, 10:12 AM)
Same here!  I heard  Ozzy first, then Black Sabbath later.  This was in the early '80's, so I actually thought Black Sabbath was a Dio band.  It wasn't until someone brought me a copy of Paranoid that I believed Ozzy was in Sabbath!

That reminds me of a funny story..

I had Speak of the Devil before I had Master of Reality... We're spending the weekend at my cousin's in Las Vegas. He is into metal too, and I look to see what he's got.. I pop in Master of Reality in the boom box as I'm going to bed after smoking a joint. I flick off the light and hit 'play'. It's pitch black and then the coughing intro started and scared the beejeebus out of me. drool1.gif

QUOTE (Puckfiend @ Jun 18 2008, 01:07 PM)
Same here!  I heard  Ozzy first, then Black Sabbath later.  This was in the early '80's, so I actually thought Black Sabbath was a Dio band.  It wasn't until someone brought me a copy of Paranoid that I believed Ozzy was in Sabbath!

I had Speak of the Devil before I had Master of Reality... We're spending the weekend at my cousin's in Las Vegas. He is into metal too, and I look to see what he's got.. I pop in Master of Reality in the boom box as I'm going to bed after smoking a joint. I flick off the light and hit 'play'. It's pitch black and then the coughing intro started and scared the beejeebus out of me. drool1.gif

Well, I remember borrowing a copy of Paranoid and listening for the first time... the ending to War Pigs sped up to a thousand miles and hour and I spun around to swat my tape deck. I thought at first it ate another tape! (DAMN IT! NOT AGAIN!)

My copy of Sabotage I played until it fried. laugh.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jun 18 2008, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (Puckfiend @ Jun 18 2008, 01:07 PM)

Well, I remember borrowing a copy of Paranoid and listening for the first time... the ending to War Pigs sped up to a thousand miles and hour and I spun around to swat my tape deck. I thought at first it ate another tape! (DAMN IT! NOT AGAIN!)

My copy of Sabotage I played until it fried. laugh.gif 1022.gif

my brother is ten years older than me and loved playign the drums. I'm sure my mom tried to keep me away from him in his teen years due to the whole bad influence thing. Anyways, when I got to high school and started getting into music everyone kept telling me to get anything from sabbath. I get Paranoid and I'll be damned if I didn;t already know the songs pretty well. It was a while before it hit me that I had overheard some of these albums (Physical Graffitti and Grand Funk also) so may times as a child and they were in my memory. This means Dad failed because he was trying to get me to like Hank senior.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 18 2008, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 18 2008, 01:55 PM)
Ozzy can't write

probably can;t read, either.

Nor can he speak, apparently. I mean, can anybody understand what he says anymore? rofl3.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 19 2008, 05:55 AM)

That's where you're wrong RK, Ozzy didn't write the lyrics in Sabbath, bar Who Are You?, Geezer Butler wrote them. And even his solo stuff is not penned by him, Bob Daisley wrote the lyrics for Blizzard of Oz and every album up to and including No More Tears, which is how they came to have the big lawsuit a while back after non-payment of royalties. Ozzy can't write lyrics.

The usual beating around the bush with RK tongue.gif

Neither does Oz play an instrument, but he does come up with some killer vocal melodies though, being a huge fan of the Beatles will do that to ya laugh.gif

As for the lyrics, I agree with the RK that some are banal as hell but theres nothing wrong with Daisley's contribution. A great songwriter indeed and came into Ozzy's career at the perfect time. Oooops, this was a Sabs thread, sorry unsure.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 18 2008, 05:09 PM)

Neither does Oz play an instrument, but he does come up with some killer vocal melodies though, being a huge fan of the Beatles will do that to ya laugh.gif

As for the lyrics, I agree with the RK that some are banal as hell but theres nothing wrong with Daisley's contribution. A great songwriter indeed and came into Ozzy's career at the perfect time. Oooops, this was a Sabs thread, sorry unsure.gif

ozzy does play harmonica and did so on an album. can't.....remember....song....

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 18 2008, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 18 2008, 05:09 PM)

ozzy does play harmonica and did so on an album. can't.....remember....song....

The Wizard, Black Sabbath...

His vocal melodies are good and totally original though and of course absolutely essential to the Sabbath sound, as essential as Iommi's riffs...