Good Morning Judges, It's Art Rock Album Poll Time

Favourite song on 10cc's Deceptive Bends?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite song on 10cc's Deceptive Bends?

• Good Morning Judge
    • The Things We Do For Love
    • Marriage Bureau Rendezvous
    • People In Love
    • Modern Man Blues
    • Honeymoon In B Troop
    • I Bought A Flat Guitar Tutor
    • You've Got A Cold
    • Feel The Benefit (Parts 1, 2 & 3)

I hate the cliched term "ahead of their time" but 10cc are one of the few bands who deserve it. While the music press were busy trying to make sense of their weird arrangements and hilarious lyrics or place them in the appropriate genre the best satirical Rock group in history were out there making some brilliant music.

Deceptive Bends could've spelled the end for 10cc. For those not familiar with the story Godley and Creme jumped ship and left Stewart and Gouldman with the very difficult challenge of following up How Dare You! alone. Amazingly the pulled it off.

Down to business; although I haven't heard everything 10cc has put out, in fact I haven't heard anything after Bloody Tourists this is certainly my favourite album. As for picking just one track it's very difficult, I'm tempted by both Good Morning Judge and The Things We Do For Love but in the end the 11 minute suite Feel The Benefit has gotta take the prize.

Check out this awesome live version of Feel The Benefit. Check out the bass solo in part 3. cool.gif

Edited by TheRocinanteKid

The Prog Lord stands with TheRocinanteKid entity. While 10cc should never be labelled a fully-inspirited Progressive Rock band the entities Godley, Creme, Stewart and Gouldman are always welcome in the realms of the Progiverse.

The Prog Lord urges those who hath not yet heard the music of these fine pioneering Art Rock parody Masters to seek out the albums Sheet Music, The Original Soundtrack and Deceptive Bends. Surely the pinnacle of their career.

While not angered with the less than overwhelming response to this thread created by TheRocinanteKid entity The Prog Lord feels many members of this collective gathering of Rush enthusiasts would find their time better spend here than discussing the ungodly bands Aerosmith, Kiss and the vomit-inducing Regressive Rock act known as Tool.

i don't know any of these biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2008, 12:46 AM)

Shame. I knew it was a bit of a risk going with 10cc, most of their single chart success was in Britain and they're not even really a Progressive Rock band although they certainly have elements of it; as The Prog Lord has pointed out.

If you think you might be interested in getting into them I would suggest watching the videos for Feel The Benefit I linked to in my original post and then checking out some of the more famous tunes like I'm Not In Love (Sure you know that anyway!), Rubber Bullets, The Wall Street Shuffle, The Things We Do For Love and I'm Mandy Fly Me. If you like those I guess the sky's the limit. Whether or not you like them is going to depend quite a bit on how you feel about Frank Zappa's Pop music parody songs and Queen's albums from the debut through to A Day At The Races.

Let me know. cool.gif

Edited by TheRocinanteKid

QUOTE (The Prog Lord @ Jun 2 2008, 03:45 PM)
and the vomit-inducing Regressive Rock act known as Tool.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 2 2008, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 3 2008, 12:46 AM)

Shame. I knew it was a bit of a risk going with 10cc, most of their single chart success was in Britain and they're not even really a Progressive Rock band although they certainly have elements of it; as The Prog Lord has pointed out.

If you think you might be interested in getting into them I would suggest watching the videos for Feel The Benefit I linked to in my original post and then checking out some of the more famous tunes like I'm Not In Love (Sure you know that anyway!), Rubber Bullets, The Wall Street Shuffle, The Things We Do For Love and I'm Mandy Fly Me. If you like those I guess the sky's the limit. Whether or not you like them is going to depend quite a bit on how you feel about Frank Zappa's Pop music parody songs and Queen's albums from the debut through to A Day At The Races.

Let me know. cool.gif

thank's ,i will check it out trink39.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 3 2008, 10:05 AM)
The Things We Do For Love. A little slice of pop heaven! yes.gif

Thanks. I didn't have high expectations for this thread anyway but I knew if there was one person who would reply it would be you. Saved me. cool.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 3 2008, 05:50 AM)

Thanks. I didn't have high expectations for this thread anyway but I knew if there was one person who would reply it would be you. Saved me. cool.gif

I liked them in the mid-70's just before I got into heavier stuff. I did have a cassette of the live album that came out around ('77?), but I forget what it was called. 10cc were from Manchester btw smile.gif

QUOTE (Kubla @ Jun 3 2008, 12:45 PM)

I liked them in the mid-70's just before I got into heavier stuff. I did have a cassette of the live album that came out around ('77?), but I forget what it was called. 10cc were from Manchester btw smile.gif

Yeah. It was probably Live And Let Live. That's their major live album and I think it was released around '77. I don't have it but I should get it...

They also put out one of those In Concert programmes for the BBC like Genesis from around the same time. There are clips of it on YouTube. The version of Rubber Bullets off there kills.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 3 2008, 06:53 AM)

Yeah. It was probably Live And Let Live. That's their major live album and I think it was released around '77. I don't have it but I should get it...

They also put out one of those In Concert programmes for the BBC like Genesis from around the same time. There are clips of it on YouTube. The version of Rubber Bullets off there kills.

Thats the one!

I liked it, it was pretty good. Its a shame they weren't just a little heavier, they would have made a good prog-rock band.

Of course 'Dreadlock Holiday' is played in snippets on SkySports Cricket coverage.

"I don't like cricket. I love it!"

Edited by Kubla

QUOTE (Kubla @ Jun 3 2008, 12:57 PM)

Thats the one!

I liked it, it was pretty good. Its a shame they weren't just a little heavier, they would have made a good prog-rock band.

Of course 'Dreadlock Holiday' is played in snippets on SkySports Cricket coverage.

Cool. I should try and get hold of it. Kind of agree on the heaviness factor. I think they could've gained a lot more respect from Rock fans had they fleshed out their sound more.

On the other hand I don't think the Pop band label people seem to slap o them is completely fair. A lot of the time they were really just taking the piss out of commercial music, especially on their debut album. Donna is hilarious, never fails to make me laugh. If they are to be classed as a Pop band I think you have to at least give them the subgenre Art Pop. In a similar way to Phil Collins' first three albums I think ithey were much more sophisticated than most chart-bothering music.

Do you know the story behind Dreadlock Holiday? Its actually based on real life events that happened to Graham Gouldman and Justin Hayward while they were on holiday in Jamaica.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 3 2008, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (Kubla @ Jun 3 2008, 12:57 PM)

Thats the one!

Cool. I should try and get hold of it. Kind of agree on the heaviness factor. I think they could've gained a lot more respect from Rock fans had they fleshed out their sound more.

On the other hand I don't think the Pop band label people seem to slap o them is completely fair. A lot of the time they were really just taking the piss out of commercial music, especially on their debut album. Donna is hilarious, never fails to make me laugh. If they are to be classed as a Pop band I think you have to at least give them the subgenre Art Pop. In a similar way to Phil Collins' first three albums I think ithey were much more sophisticated than most chart-bothering music.

Do you know the story behind Dreadlock Holiday? Its actually based on real life events that happened to Graham Gouldman and Justin Hayward while they were on holiday in Jamaica.

I agree. I don't think you can call them pop as such, but too soft to be a hard rock band.

IMO They fall into the same category as ELO, which was another of my favourite bands of that era, but they went really crappy in the '80's.

I did know something about the Jamaica thing, but I'd forgotten what it was laugh.gif Thanks for reminding me wink.gif

:bump:

God, Rocinante Kid has been gone for years. He was a good one.

I have been reliably informed by those in the know that Santa will be delivering the new 10cc box set, Tenology, in 3 weeks time. Yippee!!

So underrated, it's bordering on criminal.

Who?

Amazingly enough, one of the most successful UK singles bands of the '70's, art rock/prog pop pioneers.

All but forgotten.

I did look up their discography on wikipedia and all their success was over in the UK mainly. They barely made a dent over here, that's probably why i've never heard of them.