Hair color

Mara

My hair is purple ... With pink highlights. Sounds weird but it's professionally done so it's really cool (according to the kids I teach lol ) I posted a pic of me with my friend Emil on another thread somewhere if you want to see. That was when my hair was purple and black. Ech... I'm a Drama teacher AND a Scorpio ( we get bored easily) so that's my excuse laugh.gif

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a redhead:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/Decorated%20images/P8090007-1-1.jpg

(That's the one and only TRF circumstantial tree I'm standing with!)

As a brunette:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/CopyofOy.jpg

As a blonde:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/meancon-2-1-1.jpg

I'm still blonde but it's a darker shade now. I wanted something more along the lines of dark blonde/light brown. I haven't decided yet if I like it.

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 4 2010, 08:55 AM)
As a redhead:
http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/Decorated%20images/P8090007-1-1.jpg

As a brunette:

As a blonde:

I'm still blonde but it's a darker shade now. I wanted something more along the lines of dark blonde/light brown. I haven't decided yet if I like it.

I liked the red the best! But they all suit you. Lucky b*tch wink.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 4 2010, 01:03 PM)
As a redhead:

As a brunette:

As a blonde:

The lighter color does make most people look younger, it's true. It's one reason I went back to blonde.

Janie, you will find that one plus of having slightly darker blonde is that it's a little less maintenance. I just had mine LIGHTENED, meaning I'll have to get it touched up a bit sooner. But I'd been doing highlights/lowlights for so long it was starting to look sort of dishwater-y.

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Sep 4 2010, 12:34 AM)
My hair is purple ... With pink highlights. Sounds weird but it's professionally done so it's really cool (according to the kids I teach lol ) I posted a pic of me with my friend Emil on another thread somewhere if you want to see. That was when my hair was purple and black. Ech... I'm a Drama teacher AND a Scorpio ( we get bored easily) so that's my excuse laugh.gif

sounds awesome smile.gif don't take this the wrong way, but the description kind of reminds me of Tonks from Harry Potter. she was always changing her hair color to pink or purple or what-not.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 4 2010, 03:02 PM)
s
As a blonde:

The lighter color does make most people look younger, it's true. It's one reason I went back to blonde.

Janie, you will find that one plus of having slightly darker blonde is that it's a little less maintenance. I just had mine LIGHTENED, meaning I'll have to get it touched up a bit sooner. But I'd been doing highlights/lowlights for so long it was starting to look sort of dishwater-y.

I did like this shade of blonde but since my natural color is so dark, the roots (and my eyebrows) made it too uncomfortable. Plus, my stylist wanted me to wait 8 weeks between salon visits and that was tough! I wet with a darker blonde because I didn't want it to be quite so obvious when the roots were showing. But this darker shade doesn't excite me as much as the lighter shade. Oh what is a brunette to do!? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 5 2010, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 4 2010, 03:02 PM)
s
As a blonde:

I did like this shade of blonde but since my natural color is so dark, the roots (and my eyebrows) made it too uncomfortable. Plus, my stylist wanted me to wait 8 weeks between salon visits and that was tough! I wet with a darker blonde because I didn't want it to be quite so obvious when the roots were showing. But this darker shade doesn't excite me as much as the lighter shade. Oh what is a brunette to do!? laugh.gif

I have dark brows, and I like the contrast. yes.gif

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Sep 5 2010, 07:36 AM)
QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Sep 4 2010, 12:34 AM)
My hair is purple ... With pink highlights. Sounds weird but it's professionally done so it's really cool (according to the kids I teach lol ) I posted a pic of me with my friend Emil on another thread somewhere if you want to see. That was when my hair was purple and black. Ech... I'm a Drama teacher AND a Scorpio ( we get bored easily) so that's my excuse  laugh.gif

sounds awesome smile.gif don't take this the wrong way, but the description kind of reminds me of Tonks from Harry Potter. she was always changing her hair color to pink or purple or what-not.

Thanks .. and I'm fine with the Tonks reference biggrin.gif Mine is a little darker for now. Will hopefully get pics taken at the Rush star in Hollywood very soon so you can see it wink.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Sep 4 2010, 12:22 AM)
Ok, so look at my profile pic and my signature. Yup...that's me. And that is my natural hair color. I have always been fairly happy with it (it lightens in the summer, and darkens in the winter), and have resisted all temptation to color it. I might change my mind after I turn gray (only a few stray hairs so far!), but for now I am alright with it. Seems to fit me. confused13.gif

I'd have to totally agree that your hair works for you. In fact, as a male I'd say "don't touch it!" lol.......

It's very refreshing seeing a woman who let's her hair grow out and doesn't have it so twisted and curled up all the time. your hair is very nice, too me anyways.

QUOTE (Joeblw09 @ Sep 15 2010, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Sep 4 2010, 12:22 AM)
Ok, so look at my profile pic and my signature.  Yup...that's me.  And that is my natural hair color.  I have always been fairly happy with it (it lightens in the summer, and darkens in the winter), and have resisted all temptation to color it.  I might change my mind after I turn gray (only a few stray hairs so far!), but for now I am alright with it.  Seems to fit me.  confused13.gif

I'd have to totally agree that your hair works for you. In fact, as a male I'd say "don't touch it!" lol.......

It's very refreshing seeing a woman who let's her hair grow out and doesn't have it so twisted and curled up all the time. your hair is very nice, too me anyways.

Aaaww...thanks! wub.gif

I sometimes take the time to curl it, but it doesn't hold the curl very well at times because it's fine, so it seems like a waste. confused13.gif I've had it shoulder length and that seems to fit me alright as well. It grows fast, so even when I cut it, it grows back quickly. laugh.gif

I don't, I dyed my hair black three years ago. and I just grew it all out. I love my natural color. smile.gif

it was Dark!!

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n317/listen2tool/photoalbum_27072190_user9989930-1.jpg

I like it black but, the Maintenance is stressful.

I used to get it done a lot. But, I eased up in the last year. I had done black hair and put in red at one point. It faded a bit, and then I settled on letting my natural colour come out.

It figures that didn't last too long. I got some highlights in it.

I want to do straight black again, but...it doesn't really fit in these days. Then again, a lot of people say I would look great as a blonde.

Don't know about that one.

rofl3.gif tongue.gif

I started coloring my hair when I was in my early 30's. From birth (or rather 3 yrs old because I was a baldy) until after my first daughter was born, my hair was naturally pale blonde - platinum when I was young, darkening just slightly as I got older. I used to be so precious about my hair - proud that I never colored it. But each of my pregnancies sucked more & more of the "Marilyn Monroe" out of my hair. My natural color is now a dishwater blonde. For the last 6 years, I usually go light in the summer and add lowlights in the winter. I have to go reddish for lowlights though because the gold colors absolutely do not show up. I joked with my stylist that maybe I should go red for this winter...he & the hubby were both ok with that. And I might be too. After all, it's just hair. If I don't like the result, I can just cut it, color it or cover it.

Here is a pic of my daughters. My hair was naturally the color of my older daughter's up until I was 32.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs484.ash1/26494_366625980819_526420819_4810300_1839679_n.jpg

ETA: You can see what my looks like now, not so naturally, if you click on my profile.

Edited by TheBlonde

Well, I'm trying to decide whether or not to do mine. The gray is taking over. I usually use an auburn shade but my natural color is mousy-brown. I've experimented a little over the years; black, red, plum.... I tend towards liking reddish colors.

The last time I colored it was last July:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs528.snc3/29992_1452422318163_1461439455_1177848_7631486_n.jpg

I'm the one without the curly moptop laugh.gif

So, to dye or not to dye - what do ya think?

QUOTE (TheBlonde @ Oct 7 2010, 01:54 PM)
I started coloring my hair when I was in my early 30's. From birth (or rather 3 yrs old because I was a baldy) until after my first daughter was born, my hair was naturally pale blonde - platinum when I was young, darkening just slightly as I got older. I used to be so precious about my hair - proud that I never colored it. But each of my pregnancies sucked more & more of the "Marilyn Monroe" out of my hair. My natural color is now a dishwater blonde. For the last 6 years, I usually go light in the summer and add lowlights in the winter. I have to go reddish for lowlights though because the gold colors absolutely do not show up. I joked with my stylist that maybe I should go red for this winter...he & the hubby were both ok with that. And I might be too. After all, it's just hair. If I don't like the result, I can just cut it, color it or cover it.

Here is a pic of my daughters. My hair was naturally the color of my older daughter's up until I was 32.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs484.ash1/26494_366625980819_526420819_4810300_1839679_n.jpg

ETA: You can see what my looks like now, not so naturally, if you click on my profile.

Wow! Now that is some beautiful hair. I love your hair color in your profile pic. You're very pretty too. B!tch. tongue.gif

I think I am going to leave blonde hair to the blondes and return to being a brunette. My hair has a lot of red in it though and I'm finding that, that is a tricky color to work with.

When I had darker hair and colored it, it was never really an issue to go 6-8 weeks between colorings. But having dark hair and going blonde... hooboy... it is really, really hard to wait those eight weeks. I absolutely hate having dark roots.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 7 2010, 05:59 PM)
Well, I'm trying to decide whether or not to do mine. The gray is taking over. I usually use an auburn shade but my natural color is mousy-brown. I've experimented a little over the years; black, red, plum.... I tend towards liking reddish colors.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs528.snc3/29992_1452422318163_1461439455_1177848_7631486_n.jpg

I'm the one without the curly moptop laugh.gif

You're brave to get so close to a llama (or is it an alpaca?).

I say go for red again!

laugh.gif

That's an alpaca. He's the herd leader (we have 5) and his name is Rio! He doesn't dance upon the sand but he has been known to roll in it. wink.gif

Thanks for the vote......

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 8 2010, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Oct 7 2010, 05:59 PM)

I'm the one without the curly moptop  laugh.gif

You're brave to get so close to a llama (or is it an alpaca?).

I say go for red again!

Yes, I agree. Red does seem like you.

That's such a cute picture. biggrin.gif

Well, okay then.... I'll pick up some auburn hair dye this week.

Rio will approve, I'm sure laugh.gif

Digging up an old thread to say I finally did it. smile.gif

I got tired of shelling out $250 for color every 3 months; my colorist is fabulous but it's an expense I just can't justify. So my hair grew out and I was reminded how much I hate my natural dull turd brown color.

I dithered for ages on whether to do the bleaching thing at home. I was terrified I'd fry my hair or turn it orange. (My hair is dark enough that I can't just go buy a bottle of Clairol light blonde - it needs serious bleach). I read everything I could find on how to do it, what the downsides might be. . .etc.

I finally went to Sally Beauty Supply and picked up professional bleaching powder, developer, and toner. Strand-tested the hell out of it to make sure it wouldn't cook or turn brassy. And indeed, it was bright, bright, bright, WHITE blonde after the bleaching step. The toner didn't quite cool it down enough, so I gave it a couple of days to recover and hit it with a darker shade.

It is now a lovely, soft ash blonde. And after a couple of shots of heavy, heavy conditioner, very soft and silky. I am thrilled. Yes, it'll be a little higher maintenance than the professional foils I used to have done (I'll have to touch up roots every 3-4 weeks), but still, much cheaper than what I used to pay!

I started getting silver threads in my mane at about age 23...the year I got married...hmmm.

Anyway, at age 36, it now comes in very prominently gray. sad.gif I, too, have the mousy brown, but it tends to pull auburn eventually.

I'm very lucky to have a best friend who is a stylist and I get the at-home treatment for the cost of supplies (which I just keep stocked here at home).

She does a great job on my hair. I get a nice golden brown with a large portion of the top layer of hair blonde (works for blending the root growth for longer than 3 weeks LOL) and I spice it up with some bright red or deep purple streaks.

Toying with the idea of putting some groovy purple or red wine streaks or something.

Just for fun, see how I like it.

I will NOT cover my silvers, though! A few dozen more than before, and they are silver! Not grey or off-white or anything, they freakin'shine silver! I love it biggrin.gif (coz I'm weird that way) cool.gif

But I love the idea of some playful purple or red wine as an accent or .. like, under the main length... kind of thing. (I don't know what the hell to call that, but... ya know)

I think it would look so damn cool with my multi-shade brunette. I have some auburn highlights in, naturally (red-heads in my family!) And I think purple would be awesome...

Not sure what my stylist would say, though. Or if she'd do it. She says my hairs gotten kind of weak. (Might be my diet, I went to a vegetarian diet earlier this year...)

How can I strengthen my hair up.?.

Funnily enough, I've personally never had the desire to make my hair any different colour. I guess I'm just an atypical teenager (and woman). Sometimes I make remarks about wishing I had someone else's hair (I have a special fondness for red hair), but that's just in fun. I like mine the way it is. The only change I've ever made is getting a perm last year on my birthday, so my hair could resemble Geddy's for a time. wub.gif Edited by NobodysHeroine

Not yet, although people are making comments...'wow, its REALLY coming in' (the grey, I mean)

I say my hair is magical and I earned every strand... tongue.gif