Hair color

Mara

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Aug 13 2008, 04:01 PM)
Now it seems that my natural hair color is more dominant, but there's still slightly Black ends...

Oh yeah, my hair dying days are indeed OVER. smile.gif

I don't blame you! Could you cut the black ends off or is there more than just a few inches of black ends? How long is your hair?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 14 2008, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 13 2008, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 13 2008, 04:23 PM)
My hair really lightened up in all this sun. I wasn't liking it at all! So now it's deep, dark brown but the red still comes through a little. I'd give anything to have just a nice, soft brown color. I hate how this red comes through everything.

OMG me too! Damn red hair! Argh thats why I need an ash blonde to tone this colour down. Damn red keeps brightening it up. angry.gif Sakes!

I can't believe how much the red dominates. No matter the color, you see red. It sorts of looks like I put in red highlights into a dark color.

That's why if I ever wanted to go blond, I would have to have my hair bleached white probably and then have the blond color put in. That would fry my hair and then the upkeep would be insane. My hair grows fast so I would always be in for touch ups.

Jeez! Hair!!

Ya Im going to the store today to see if I can fix up this disaster. Looking at it today it doesnt look so bad but its not a good look for me. I need a much cooler, whiter blonde with brown undertones to get rid of this red. My problem is being a natural redhead I have always had to deal with red coming through anything I do. Except for black. But no way in hell Im doing black again, too much upkeep.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 14 2008, 09:16 AM)
I don't blame you! Could you cut the black ends off or is there more than just a few inches of black ends? How long is your hair?

Oh, it's a tad longer than shoulder length, my hair...

I see no reason to cut off the ends now, as the black looks more dark red than anything, not to mention I think the bi-colored hair looks kinda cool! biggrin.gif

I remember that one of my blonde friends dyed her hair black. She didn't look good with it (for the reasons Dhani described above).

After that she told me, "Once you go black, you never go back---because you just can't! laugh.gif Well---it wasn't really "never", but a couple of years is a long time to grow it out!

She didn't want to use bleach/color remover as it would wreck her hair more.

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Aug 27 2008, 12:35 PM)
My hair's brown. Not really dark or light, just... brown. I've never dyed it, though, and I've been advised by several people not to because it has so many natural highlights and lowlights. Hm.

Actually my hair has natural highlights and lowlights as well. I have dyed my hair ever since I was 16 and I still have them. And I even dyed it black! So dont be afraid of a lil experimentation. biggrin.gif Always consult your hairstylist if you have any questions they are there to help you. yes.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 27 2008, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Aug 27 2008, 12:35 PM)
My hair's brown. Not really dark or light, just... brown. I've never dyed it, though, and I've been advised by several people not to because it has so many natural highlights and lowlights. Hm.

Actually my hair has natural highlights and lowlights as well. I have dyed my hair ever since I was 16 and I still have them. And I even dyed it black! So dont be afraid of a lil experimentation. biggrin.gif Always consult your hairstylist if you have any questions they are there to help you. yes.gif

That's good to hear. yes.gif Once I get settled in with school I might do something adventurous. laugh.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 27 2008, 01:13 PM)
I did mine again this weekend-- another application of Manic Panic Divine Wine. It looks awesome, but I wish it didn't run for like a week afterward. When I do my hair after a workout, it turns my hands pink. banghead.gif

When I used to dye mine red I had pink towels, pink workout shirts (from where I sweated), and my boyfriend of the time had more than one pink pillowcase. yes.gif

Just got mine touched up on Saturday. I went back to my regular guy - screw the additional $50 in price + the extra distance. Jeff is so much better than the sour-faced woman who did it last time. She wouldn't listen, wouldn't use bleach, even though my natural hair color is too dark for just peroxide. and it was very uneven - she missed a whole chunk up front. SO. . .I will never leave Jeff again. He does beautiful color!

This may sound very un-PC, but gay men are the best at color. Although I am sure Alsgalpal could take 'em all on!

QUOTE (lya2112yyz @ Aug 27 2008, 12:21 PM)
I have the chinese hair. Absolutely no variation between one chinese person's hair or anothers, unless they dye it. I can be bothered to dye mine, plus it can be hard to get the right kind...

I think Asian hair is beautiful - the color, the texture. Still, I can see why you'd be frustrated if you wanted a change but your hair wouldn't cooperate.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Aug 27 2008, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (lya2112yyz @ Aug 27 2008, 12:21 PM)
I have the chinese hair. Absolutely no variation between one chinese person's hair or anothers, unless they dye it. I can be bothered to dye mine, plus it can be hard to get the right kind...

I think Asian hair is beautiful - the color, the texture. Still, I can see why you'd be frustrated if you wanted a change but your hair wouldn't cooperate.

I put red hints in once.... bad idea, it looked terrible. I cut my hair back to a bob cut and let it grow out. My hair is now past my waist, black as ever and silky... thank god!

I did mine again this weekend-- another application of Manic Panic Divine Wine. It looks awesome, but I wish it didn't run for like a week afterward. When I do my hair after a workout, it turns my hands pink. banghead.gif

Manic Panic is a terrible product. Try Fudge or Durections. Actually going to the salon is best cause they bleach your hair and give you a colour that wont fade or run.

Remember to not shampoo a week after dying your hair.. just conditioner. No warm water also.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 28 2008, 09:14 AM)
I did mine again this weekend-- another application of Manic Panic Divine Wine.  It looks awesome, but I wish it didn't run for like a week afterward.  When I do my hair after a workout, it turns my hands pink.  banghead.gif

Manic Panic is a terrible product. Try Fudge or Durections. Actually going to the salon is best cause they bleach your hair and give you a colour that wont fade or run.

Remember to not shampoo a week after dying your hair.. just conditioner. No warm water also.

Good call on the salon-- it's pricey, but I got awesome results the last time I went, plus I didn't have to mess up my entire bathroom with dye. biggrin.gif I don't bleach my hair, though, since I'm afraid of damaging it. That's actually why I opted for the Manic Panic, since it's vegetable-based. Unfortunately there's a trade-off-- if you want earth-friendly colors, you don't get the permanence of a chemical dye, it seems. I'll have to try the other products you mentioned, at any rate.

The shampoo thing is another good tip. My problem is that I go to the gym every morning and I have to at least rinse my hair lest I reek of sweat for the rest of the day. I rinse it with the coldest water I can stand, since that prevents the hair cuticle from opening up and letting out more dye.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 28 2008, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 28 2008, 09:14 AM)
I did mine again this weekend-- another application of Manic Panic Divine Wine.  It looks awesome, but I wish it didn't run for like a week afterward.  When I do my hair after a workout, it turns my hands pink.  banghead.gif

Good call on the salon-- it's pricey, but I got awesome results the last time I went, plus I didn't have to mess up my entire bathroom with dye. biggrin.gif I don't bleach my hair, though, since I'm afraid of damaging it. That's actually why I opted for the Manic Panic, since it's vegetable-based. Unfortunately there's a trade-off-- if you want earth-friendly colors, you don't get the permanence of a chemical dye, it seems. I'll have to try the other products you mentioned, at any rate.

The shampoo thing is another good tip. My problem is that I go to the gym every morning and I have to at least rinse my hair lest I reek of sweat for the rest of the day. I rinse it with the coldest water I can stand, since that prevents the hair cuticle from opening up and letting out more dye.

I have to wash my hair daily. The roots just get too greasy and nasty if I don't, plus I sweat like a pig when I work out - hair is drenched afterwards. In order to avoid drying the rest of the hair out, I usually just scrub my scalp and let the shampoo rinse through to the ends.

After I go to my stylist to cover over them cwazy silver hairs, I don't let her blow dry or flatiron my hair anymore. For some time, I have instead asked her to slather my hair in a very deep conditioner; then she sits me under the bonnet dryer for 20 minutes or so. I will sometimes add a dab of miso to the conditioner (no, I'm not kidding!) because it helps to soothe my dye-irritated scalp.

(Miso's good for a lot of things, not just as a soup base!)

I have subtle blonde highlights on brown hair. I need to get the damn things touched up, but I think I'm going to wait until after Halloween. I'm planning on skipping my anti-frizz, throwing on a pair of odd glasses, and going as an effortless version of Geddy Lee.

"I got my hair highlighted because I thought some strands were more important than others." -Mitch Hedberg

QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Jun 26 2008, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 19 2008, 10:57 AM)
I hit this thread by accident, but I wanna tell you your hair is awesome. Anyone in their right mind would love it. It looks natural in color and is overall very pretty. It would be criminal to die it! OK, I'm outta here. That's my 2 cents. unsure.gif

Thanks! =] You are very sweet. heart.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif You have the exact same hair as my ex girlfriend! and they are beautiful smile.gif

Mine's dark brown with occasional grey roots fists crying.gif

I used to think I'd go grey gracefully when the time came, but now it's here I'm not liking it at all. angry.gif

Maybe when it's completely white I'll give up the colouring - or maybe get a purple rinse or something - but for now it's a sober and respectable natural brown.

Had to find a hair-related thread to get all catty in...

I used to like watching "Jon & Kate Plus 8" but now I'm disgusted by the whole thing - all the tabloid crap, etc.

But what in the holy hell is UP with Kate Gosselin's hair? I've seen it called a reverse mullet. rofl3.gif

http://www.celebrity-gossip.net/images/photos/kate-gosselin-affair-night.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DyYpTwA8SJw/SWpdApSoaGI/AAAAAAAAAIc/fYLRyj9YqaE/s320/n1537302550_30144282_2808.jpg

Weird...but not in a cool, individualistic way. She's a weird chick.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 22 2009, 12:55 PM)

I used to like watching "Jon & Kate Plus 8" but now I'm disgusted by the whole thing - all the tabloid crap, etc.

But what in the holy hell is UP with Kate Gosselin's hair? I've seen it called a reverse mullet. rofl3.gif

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DyYpTwA8SJw/SWpdApSoaGI/AAAAAAAAAIc/fYLRyj9YqaE/s320/n1537302550_30144282_2808.jpg
Weird...

Oh man I remember that being in style near the end of the 90s like 1999. All the girls in my highschool went and got that style. All the gina/punk wannabees. UGH. It's basically long in the front and then the back is short enough so you can spike it out. Ok... I did a variation on this too but it was before that fad started... and it was asymmetrical which is a lil different then this one. It was also light blonde and magenta pink in the front. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 22 2009, 10:55 AM)

But what in the holy hell is UP with Kate Gosselin's hair?  I've seen it called a reverse mullet.  rofl3.gif

Weird...but not in a cool, individualistic way.  She's a weird chick.

Thank you!

It's wrong on so many levels. She's already in the media, she doesn't need to funkify herself to garner more attention. Plus, she's an older woman. I'm all for being a little different and trying new things with hair, makeup and wardrobe but at the same time, some styles are just a better fit for younger people. She can't pull this look off well. The color is way wrong and the cut is horrid! I get the feeling she's trying hard to separate herself from mom/housewife into cool, funky chick doing her own thing and having a little side of sumthin sumthin with her bodyguard (she has a bodyguard?).

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ May 23 2009, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 22 2009, 10:55 AM)

But what in the holy hell is UP with Kate Gosselin's hair?  I've seen it called a reverse mullet.  rofl3.gif

Weird...but not in a cool, individualistic way.  She's a weird chick.

Thank you!

It's wrong on so many levels. She's already in the media, she doesn't need to funkify herself to garner more attention. Plus, she's an older woman. I'm all for being a little different and trying new things with hair, makeup and wardrobe but at the same time, some styles are just a better fit for younger people. She can't pull this look off well. The color is way wrong and the cut is horrid! I get the feeling she's trying hard to separate herself from mom/housewife into cool, funky chick doing her own thing and having a little side of sumthin sumthin with her bodyguard (she has a bodyguard?).

Good lord, it looks like rats chewed off the hair in the back.

Also, that stripey thing with the color is way out of date as well. At least with blonde coloring.

Edited by Mara

Anybody else watch "Jon and Kate"?

I'm considering starting a thread to snark in, esp. after watching some of last night's new episode, plus reading "Kate's" blog...

Any takers if I do?