Hair color

Mara

have never colored my hair, too lazy for regular haircuts, so i could never dye my hair. biggrin.gif my hair is thick and really wavy and can be very frizzy. especially now that we have this horrible humid weather. i always keep it tied up somehow. biggrin.gif

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I will ever color my hair. When wet, it's about to my waist. I have brown hair that's always had red highlights but lately I have graham cracker highlights confused13.gif The "grey" strands that showing are actually silver. Not enough to get excited about, but if I ever do I will definitely visit a salon. Edited by Dances with the Moon

I tried a dark red for a while, and it was kinda fun! Immediately post-color, though, I had to be very careful as the color would sometimes "bleed" onto towels or clothing when my hair was wet.

And once I bought the wrong shade AND left it on too long (strand test/schmand test). When I came out of the bathroom, my boyfriend took one look at me and said,"Is it supposed to be purple?" ohmy.gif It was easily fixed, though.

QUOTE (Dances with the Moon @ Jun 14 2008, 07:44 PM)
I'm not sure if I will ever color my hair. When wet, it's about to my waist. I have brown hair that's always had red highlights but lately I have graham cracker highlights confused13.gif The "grey" strands that showing are actually silver. Not enough to get excited about, but if I ever do I will definitely visit a salon.

I actually kind of like the silver that's starting to show up. Now that dull mousy-grayish crap needs to be covered up, but these few brilliant silver strands are rather nice. They have a different texture than the rest of my hair and I wouldn't mind having a whole head of them biggrin.gif

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jun 15 2008, 09:17 AM)
QUOTE (Dances with the Moon @ Jun 14 2008, 07:44 PM)
I'm not sure if I will ever color my hair.  When wet, it's about to my waist.  I have brown hair that's always had red highlights but lately I have graham cracker highlights confused13.gif The "grey" strands that showing are actually silver.  Not enough to get excited about, but if I ever do I will definitely visit a salon.

I actually kind of like the silver that's starting to show up. Now that dull mousy-grayish crap needs to be covered up, but these few brilliant silver strands are rather nice. They have a different texture than the rest of my hair and I wouldn't mind having a whole head of them biggrin.gif

I think silvery gray is very pretty.

I hope when the rest of my head turns to silver, grey, white, etc. it will end up like Emmylou Harris'.

but knowing my hair, I will end up looking like Einstein instead. doh.gif

I didn't start coloring my hair until I was around 35 - I am a redhead and as I got older I was turning blonde ... funny because when I was younger thats all I wanted - to be a blonde - but I was too afraid to use anything on my hair back then laugh.gif

NEVER! ahhh!

I got highlights once when I was like 10 and I cried for about four days.

I am way too emotionally attached to my hair.

I cry almost every time it's cut. I'm soooo picky.

There's no way I would avoid suicide if I dyed it.

QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Jun 16 2008, 10:17 PM)
NEVER! ahhh!
I got highlights once when I was like 10 and I cried for about four days.
I am way too emotionally attached to my hair.
I cry almost every time it's cut. I'm soooo picky.
There's no way I would avoid suicide if I dyed it.

You have beautiful hair. No need to dye it.

QUOTE (Dances with the Moon @ Jun 18 2008, 12:43 AM)
You have beautiful hair. No need to dye it.

Thank you. I used to hate my hair but I love it now. The only reason I ever would dye it would be to make it brighter - it gets kinda dark in the wintertime - but I still don't think I would. I am way too emotional about my hair and I know I wouldn't be happy with anything but it naturally. lol.

QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Jun 18 2008, 01:57 PM)
You have beautiful hair.  No need to dye it.

Thank you. I used to hate my hair but I love it now. The only reason I ever would dye it would be to make it brighter - it gets kinda dark in the wintertime - but I still don't think I would. I am way too emotional about my hair and I know I wouldn't be happy with anything but it naturally. lol.

You do have pretty hair. My mom's was about that same shade when she was younger, and she of course hated it when she was growing up. Funny story - she dyed it black when she went to college. A couple weeks later she went home to be in a friend's wedding. Her dad didn't even NOTICE it until she was walking down the aisle in the bridal procession - and she'd been home for around three days at that point!

I dyed mine black for a murder mystery party once, years ago. These days I leave it alone, although if I could find a decent local source for henna I'd love to go back to doing that...color neutral, but my hair always felt so soft and lush after a cow-pie treatment. I even got to like the smell back when I was using it regularly.

I color to cover, eh em, you know....a lil gray, but I match my natural color as best I can. Edited by umoveme

QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Jun 18 2008, 01:57 PM)
You have beautiful hair.  No need to dye it.

I hit this thread by accident, but I wanna tell you your hair is awesome. Anyone in their right mind would love it. It looks natural in color and is overall very pretty. It would be criminal to die it! OK, I'm outta here. That's my 2 cents. unsure.gif

Edited by the masked drummer

the way I look at it is the more grays in my hair the lighter it looks smile.gif natural highlights?

Tried hair color once, too much money, lasted a week and dried out my hair too much, so I stick with what nature and the Florida sun give me cool.gif

My uhair is a strange sort of shade right now. In the sunlight it looks red and indoors it looks like it is highlighted blonde or something. My hair has always been weird. I wanna dye it violet... hmm maybe I will buy a wig first.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 19 2008, 10:57 AM)
I hit this thread by accident, but I wanna tell you your hair is awesome. Anyone in their right mind would love it. It looks natural in color and is overall very pretty. It would be criminal to die it! OK, I'm outta here. That's my 2 cents. unsure.gif

Thanks! =] You are very sweet. heart.gif

Well, now that I've cut my hair I've made a 180 on the topic of hair coloring! I have an appointment for Saturday. I'm thinking a deep, subtle red would be cool. I also thought about deep violet, but I just started my current job a couple of weeks ago and I'm not yet sure how well that would go over. laugh.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 26 2008, 01:53 PM)
Well, now that I've cut my hair I've made a 180 on the topic of hair coloring! I have an appointment for Saturday. I'm thinking a deep, subtle red would be cool. I also thought about deep violet, but I just started my current job a couple of weeks ago and I'm not yet sure how well that would go over. laugh.gif

Tell them you want deepest plum. Its a violet shade that is almost black and it looks really bright in the sunlight. biggrin.gif

I once got a cellophane hair treatment when I was unsure about coloring. I remember the color was cinnamon - but you would only see the color when light hit it. I really liked it and it last though the summer.

AGP might know more on what exactly it is. OH AGP....

*grumble*

I have some very prominent greys in the front of my hair, right where my widow's peak is.

*GRUMBLE*

Not ready to resort to haircolor though. Yet.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 30 2008, 03:13 AM)
I dyed my hair purple last night. Will post pics soon! Just in time for Rush Week! biggrin.gif

Neat! I went for deep red this time-- it's very subtle. I think next time I'll go for plum, per your earlier advice. smile.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 30 2008, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 30 2008, 03:13 AM)
I dyed my hair purple last night. Will post pics soon!  Just in time for Rush Week!  biggrin.gif

Neat! I went for deep red this time-- it's very subtle. I think next time I'll go for plum, per your earlier advice. smile.gif

Good idea! Because my hair is naturally red it really made the purple dye pop! So if you dye it over your red, it should go popzors as well! biggrin.gif