Hair color

Mara

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 11 2009, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (doublereeder @ Jun 11 2009, 01:23 AM)
I got some more red in a week ago.
biggrin.gif

Looks much more vibrant than the last batch.

I wanna see!!

I'll have to get a shot with the web cam.

When I look presentable.

Of course.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 10 2009, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jun 10 2009, 05:39 PM)
Sometimes I wonder if Alex Lifeson puts color in his hair.

I look at some photos and the hair color is very dark and others it is lighter.

I also look at Geddy's hair in the later years and it looks like there is more of a black reddish color than the brown color he had in the early years.

With Neil it is hard to tell now because he either shaves all of his hair off and lets it grow back in the summer he mentions in his book or he is always wearing a hat of some kind - his African prayer caps he uses when he drums, a regular sports cap, or a motorcycle helmet. It is hard to tell.

Neil definitely has a bit of gray. But if he dyes it, then he's paying a fortune for a very, very good colorist. It's usually pretty noticeable when men dye their hair.

Neil has more than a touch of gray rofl3.gif

The guy is nearing 60, that ain't his natural color.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jun 19 2009, 09:48 AM)

I also look at Geddy's hair in the later years and it looks like there is more of a black reddish color than the brown color he had in the early years.

With Neil it is hard to tell now because he either shaves all of his hair off and lets it grow back in the summer he mentions in his book or he is always wearing a hat of some kind - his African prayer caps he uses when he drums, a regular sports cap, or a motorcycle helmet. It is hard to tell.

Neil definitely has a bit of gray. But if he dyes it, then he's paying a fortune for a very, very good colorist. It's usually pretty noticeable when men dye their hair.

Eh, my husband is only a couple years behind Neil, and he has yet to show ANY gray. It's falling out, yes, but it isn't gray.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2009, 07:50 AM)

Eh, my husband is only a couple years behind Neil, and he has yet to show ANY gray. It's falling out, yes, but it isn't gray.

um, I met him during his ghostrider days. It was pretty gray then.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jun 19 2009, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2009, 07:50 AM)

um, I met him during his ghostrider days. It was pretty gray then.

Well, after viewing the pics from last night, he's got a pretty good colorist. Safe to say he's not a "Grecian Formula" kind of a guy!

Personally, I like gray on men. My last BF prior to meeting my husband was all gray by 40, and he looks great. Now I'm curious to see what NEP looks like if he just lets it go.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jun 19 2009, 06:48 AM)

You can tell in recent pics that he's having his hair colored. I wish men wouldn't do this. I can't stand a guy who colors his hair. Gray is so distinguished and sexy. On a man. I'll color my hair up until the bitter end dammit!

Speaking of color, I'm getting mine done this afternoon! biggrin.gif

Can't wait. I love the pampering, and this place gives a full treatment - chair massage, the works. Having my hair played with gets me soooo relaxed.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2009, 07:14 AM)
Speaking of color, I'm getting mine done this afternoon! biggrin.gif
Can't wait. I love the pampering, and this place gives a full treatment - chair massage, the works. Having my hair played with gets me soooo relaxed.

I'm the same way. I love the feeling of someone playing with my hair. I will fall right asleep. I hate when I get a "talker." Drives me up the wall.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jun 19 2009, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jun 19 2009, 06:48 AM)

You can tell in recent pics that he's having his hair colored. I wish men wouldn't do this. I can't stand a guy who colors his hair. Gray is so distinguished and sexy. On a man. I'll color my hair up until the bitter end dammit!

I hear ya! My theory is, as long as I keep getting it colored, I'll never know when the gray starts.

You know, I have several pics of Neil from back in the RTB days, and his hair was DARK. Much darker than anything prior or since. I wonder if that's when he started hitting Miss Clairol?

I'm gonna go for a trim this weekend I think. The mop needs it... then going for a colouring in a few weeks. smile.gif I can't believe how long my hair is getting... it hasn't been this long since I was a kid. No joke! I always either had it short or had it that midlength that used to piss me off cause you cant do anything with it except wait till it grows out or cut it.. I get bored easily so I usually just cut it. I only had it really short once and NEVER again! I love my hair too much to just lop it all off like that ever again.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 19 2009, 12:54 PM)
I'm gonna go for a trim this weekend I think. The mop needs it... then going for a colouring in a few weeks. smile.gif I can't believe how long my hair is getting... it hasn't been this long since I was a kid. No joke! I always either had it short or had it that midlength that used to piss me off cause you cant do anything with it except wait till it grows out or cut it.. I get bored easily so I usually just cut it. I only had it really short once and NEVER again! I love my hair too much to just lop it all off like that ever again.

I go through this pattern of cutting my hair really short and then letting it grow really long. I love seeing the stylists expression when I walk in with long hair and tell them I want it short. "Are you sure? You're not going to freak out or anything on me, are you?"

My favorite is short. I like layers to be about 3-4" long and then I curl my hair all over in small chunks and then mess it up. It has that perfect messy morning hair look. I can't do it justice but it looks the best on me IMO. It's the only time I get loads of compliments on my hair. Plus, something like that goes better with my quirky sense of humor and the way I dress. Long hair is boring but men view it more as sexy I think. Except for when I pull it back into a ponytail. My husband's favorite response, "Pulling your hair back in a ponytail is not the same as taking a shower."

Ah, back from the salon. Shannon did a stellar job. She gets the foils so close to the scalp and does teeny, teeny pieces, so I can go a long time between color jobs. At $120 a pop that's important.

Hair length - the shortest I've been since I was a kid is chin length. I have to have something to pull up or French braid or whatever. Don't want layers. To much to fuss with. Right now it's just above my pits.

When I was 9, my mom had it all cut off. And didn't tell me that was the plan when she took me to the stylist. My hair was below my shoulders, and when Janice (I have hated that name since) was done, it was that awful shag haircut that was so popular in the 70's. Basically I went from girly hair to boy hair. I was normally a nice, polite kid, but I burst into tears, told them I hated the haircut, told Janice I hated HER, and said I was never getting my hair cut again. Remember when you were in elementary school, what happened to the kids who got really drastic haircuts? Everyone laughed. Yeah.

Mom felt really bad afterwards. So bad, in fact, that she let me do whatever with my hair forever after. As long as it was clean and brushed, she let me grow it however long I wanted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/squeaktoysneezer/ChristineGrade2.jpg

This was me in grade 2... it was a lil after this picture was taken that I made the mistake of going to bed with gum in mouth. So of course it ended up in my hair and that meant... bye bye hair. sad.gif At least it wasn't that high up in my hair so it didn't get cut too short. But still that's prolly the longest it's ever been... although now Im reaching that mark and Im gonna keep going. yes.gif

I usually color my hair, because I don't like my natural color (some cold, dark, grayish brown...). I used to color it reddish. Then, when I was into Nirvana and punk stuff (when I was 15) I made it neon red.

laugh.gif

After that, it was absolutely black (gothic-time... hehe). Then I went back to natural and used a spray to make them brighter, it was a very dark blond then....

Then red again and a year ago I decided that I couldn't wear some of my favourite colours (red, purple ...) if I had red hair. So now I colour it close to nature, which looks best. First it was brown-black and now it's chocolate brown. I only try to get rid of the grayish natural color.

(sorry if I switched between color and colour... this was a really hard to write text for me... wink.gif )

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 19 2009, 06:23 PM)
When I was 9, my mom had it all cut off. And didn't tell me that was the plan when she took me to the stylist. My hair was below my shoulders, and when Janice (I have hated that name since) was done, it was that awful shag haircut that was so popular in the 70's. Basically I went from girly hair to boy hair. I was normally a nice, polite kid, but I burst into tears, told them I hated the haircut, told Janice I hated HER, and said I was never getting my hair cut again. Remember when you were in elementary school, what happened to the kids who got really drastic haircuts? Everyone laughed. Yeah.

Mom felt really bad afterwards. So bad, in fact, that she let me do whatever with my hair forever after. As long as it was clean and brushed, she let me grow it however long I wanted.

OOH...that happened to me too, not quite as tragic, as I decided the short look of the 70's was a good idea, until of course it was done. ohmy.gif

I decided one more time in the early 80s to cut short again...and that was the end of that. Been long ever since, and no matter how many times my friend says I'm getting "too old" for long hair, it will stay!

but to the topic at hand...just colored it again a few weeks ago...was going to just do the natural color (dark brown) with caramel highlights, but somehow managed to walk out with dark brown with a burgundy hue--back to my rock star hair! 1022.gif

QUOTE (proudlyrushian @ Aug 28 2009, 01:43 PM)
I've never coloured my hair. I'm happy with red; after all Geddy's daughter (and if I recall correctly, also wife) is redheaded! tongue.gif

Hey another redhead! trink39.gif While I'm happy with my natural colour now, I do get bored quickly with everything and I used to dye it a new colour every month but I've been lucky to have it go back to my natural colour. I've heard stories about other redheads dying their hair and never getting their colour back the way it was. So if you're happy with your natural colour I say leave it. LOL

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 28 2009, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (proudlyrushian @ Aug 28 2009, 01:43 PM)
I've never coloured my hair. I'm happy with red; after all Geddy's daughter (and if I recall correctly, also wife) is redheaded! tongue.gif

Hey another redhead! trink39.gif While I'm happy with my natural colour now, I do get bored quickly with everything and I used to dye it a new colour every month but I've been lucky to have it go back to my natural colour. I've heard stories about other redheads dying their hair and never getting their colour back the way it was. So if you're happy with your natural colour I say leave it. LOL

Haha, exactly! laugh.gif Why mess with something good? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Aug 10 2009, 05:20 PM)
I am actually Trying to let my Natural color grow in. and when my natural color grows to my shoulders I am gonna cut it and Never dye My hair again.

I was going to do that.

but my natural color is

WHITE.

I'm too young to look old. It's getting colored until I can't do it myself anymore.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Aug 28 2009, 09:00 PM)
QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Aug 10 2009, 05:20 PM)
I am actually Trying to let my Natural color grow in. and when my natural color grows to my shoulders I am gonna cut it and Never dye My hair again.

I was going to do that.

but my natural color is

WHITE.

I'm too young to look old. It's getting colored until I can't do it myself anymore.

My grandma was the same way when she was younger she was born with white hair and had it until she was 18 and she dyed it. and now her Hair Has no grays.. She dyes her hair Brown and it stays that way. Amazing! She is 64.

Edited by Victoria's Ladder

I haven't seen my natural hair color in...almost 17 years. When I married daHubby in 1994, the first thing I did when we got back from the honeymoon was march my ass to the closest salon and have it dyed bright screaming red. It's been every shade of red, eggplant and burgundy, and right now it's blue black with a lot of blue highlighting.

I told hubby "As Og is my witness, I shall never be blonde again!"

[i don't make a very pretty blonde]

Ok, so look at my profile pic and my signature. Yup...that's me. And that is my natural hair color. I have always been fairly happy with it (it lightens in the summer, and darkens in the winter), and have resisted all temptation to color it. I might change my mind after I turn gray (only a few stray hairs so far!), but for now I am alright with it. Seems to fit me. confused13.gif

My hair's always been dark brown, but for a while i had blonde highlights, and at one point it was almost black with some purple (don't worry it was tasteful, not...gross. it was cool because you could only see it in certain lights smile.gif and hey, i was on a huge deep purple kick LOL)

right now it's just a teeny bit darker than my natural color and i plan to keep it this way wub.gif