Hair color

Mara

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 30 2008, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 30 2008, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 30 2008, 03:13 AM)
I dyed my hair purple last night. Will post pics soon!  Just in time for Rush Week!  biggrin.gif

Neat! I went for deep red this time-- it's very subtle. I think next time I'll go for plum, per your earlier advice. smile.gif

Good idea! Because my hair is naturally red it really made the purple dye pop! So if you dye it over your red, it should go popzors as well! biggrin.gif

Cool! Can we get pics?

A word to the wise: I used to dye mine red, and it does sometimes take a little while for the color to "set". Be careful with anything white. My ex-boyfriend had more than one pink pillowcase because of my adventures with L'Oreal. Sweetheart that he is, he never complained about it.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 30 2008, 07:12 PM)
I dyed my hair purple last night. Will post pics soon!  Just in time for Rush Week!  biggrin.gif

Neat! I went for deep red this time-- it's very subtle. I think next time I'll go for plum, per your earlier advice. smile.gif

Good idea! Because my hair is naturally red it really made the purple dye pop! So if you dye it over your red, it should go popzors as well! biggrin.gif

Cool! Can we get pics?

A word to the wise: I used to dye mine red, and it does sometimes take a little while for the color to "set". Be careful with anything white. My ex-boyfriend had more than one pink pillowcase because of my adventures with L'Oreal. Sweetheart that he is, he never complained about it.

I have dyed my hair for years. I have figured out lil tricks to keeping the colour from fading and bleeding out. biggrin.gif I have white pillowcases myself and they are still white today! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 30 2008, 09:40 PM)

Cool! Can we get pics?

I have dyed my hair for years. I have figured out lil tricks to keeping the colour from fading and bleeding out. biggrin.gif I have white pillowcases myself and they are still white today! laugh.gif

Wish I'd known you then! biggrin.gif I had stained towels, workout clothes (from sweaty hair), pillowcases. . .

I only ever had trouble with the red shades, though. The dark browns were no problem, ever. Now of course it's blonde, so pretty fail-safe there!

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 30 2008, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 30 2008, 09:40 PM)

Cool! Can we get pics?

Wish I'd known you then! biggrin.gif I had stained towels, workout clothes (from sweaty hair), pillowcases. . .

I only ever had trouble with the red shades, though. The dark browns were no problem, ever. Now of course it's blonde, so pretty fail-safe there!

Ya whats blonde dye gonna do... laugh.gif although bleach sucks if you get it on dark clothes. angry.gif I ruined a pair of pants bleaching my hair once. Black pants had stupid pink dots on it. I have dyed my hair every colour, now. laugh.gif

I get blonde highlights every other haircut. My hair is pretty light to begin with, so I can let it go for a while and the roots aren't noticeable. smile.gif

QUOTE (izzy @ Jun 2 2008, 04:26 PM)
...then I found 3 gray hairs, so I yanked them out...

Oh, Izzy, don't do that if you see any more! When my aunt first started going gray, she would pluck out her gray hairs and didn't realize at first that they weren't growing back. She actually managed to thin out her hair quite a bit in a few spots. I don't know if this is something that in any way depends on a person's hair type or genetics or what have you, but I personally wouldn't take any chances.

I once had a hairstylist who soooo badly wanted to highlight my hair and I said no. I think she was just greedy as she also was talking me into getting full perms when I have naturally curly hair and only occasionally need a partial perm to perk up the top which tends to straighten out. Needless to say, I didn't go to her for very long.

My hair has natural highlights that I like, anyway. It used to be more blondish than it is now. It's now more brown but still has gold blonde to strawberry blonde and even more mohogany highlights. I'm fortunate not to have any gray yet (both my parents were in their mid to late 40s before they started getting any, so I guess it's genetic.) but I have no idea what I'll do once the gray shows up. I think it will be hard to try to get a good match to my natural color. Plus, I'm also wary about all those chemicals so I'm glad I don't need the perm very often.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I love silvers/greys!

I have one friend who is turning silver-grey, and it's just gorgeous! Long and smooth, soft shade of brown near the bottom, and grey about half the length. It looks silvery in the sun, soft grey otherwise.

Mine are almost white in the midst of dark chocolate, shining a little toward silverwhite in the sun.

My dad looks awesome with a head full of white and grey... it suits him, somehow. Looks 'right' on him...

I was bored this weekend and my $80 dye job was already washing out (grr), so I dyed my hair with Manic Panic Divine Wine. It looks awesome. The only annoying thing is that it still runs every time I get my hair wet, and I appear to have dyed my fingernails pink. doh.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jul 15 2008, 11:30 AM)
I was bored this weekend and my $80 dye job was already washing out (grr), so I dyed my hair with Manic Panic Divine Wine. It looks awesome. The only annoying thing is that it still runs every time I get my hair wet, and I appear to have dyed my fingernails pink. doh.gif

No worries, when I dyed my hair this awesome shade of purple I dyed one finger tip purple. Just soak it in nail polish remover, it will come right off.

The only problems I have with Manic Panic hair dye is that it dries out your hair and it tints it really weird when it fades. So you will have to bleach the crap outta it.

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Jul 15 2008, 03:11 AM)
Maybe I'm just weird, but I love silvers/greys!
I have one friend who is turning silver-grey, and it's just gorgeous! Long and smooth, soft shade of brown near the bottom, and grey about half the length. It looks silvery in the sun, soft grey otherwise.
Mine are almost white in the midst of dark chocolate, shining a little toward silverwhite in the sun.
My dad looks awesome with a head full of white and grey... it suits him, somehow. Looks 'right' on him...

I agree completely, I love silver/grey hair, especially on guys. I never found Tom Cruise attractive till I saw him with silver hair in Collateral. biggrin.gif

And I personally dye my hair and I've been doing it since I was about 14. Its been red, purple, a dark shade of blue (almost black) and then deep, dark black for the past 5 years I think. My hair is naturally a mousey brown but I think the black looks better on me. I get it dyed about every 2, 2 1/2 months.

Nah...my hair is honey blonde (or dishwater blonde if you wanna be a dick about it tongue.gif ) It's gotten darker with age, but it still has a metallic golden-coppery shine in the sun and gets natural highlights. I tried some Sun-In a few years ago....got a little carried away and won't use that stuff again....

I've been coloring my hair for years. After seeing the first few grays at a much to young age. I can't picture myself with gray hair ever!

I started "silvering" at 22. My hair is a natural Asian black (blue-black, I guess it's called). I'm also 46, and the Unwritten Law of Beauty Secrets or something says that at this age, I'm supposed to bleach the mofo and go blonde or some such. I thumb my nose at that law. I fart in its general direction. My stylist agrees, and just keeps painting her matching blue-black shade into my hair....

I like it. Why should some canon of beauty tell us what we should and shouldn't do, anyway?

:::::goes off to braid her armpits::::: wink.gif

I had my phase of hair dying, and tried just about every natural color there is, the last being black (cos of my love for Prof. Snape, lol)...Now the black has completely grown out, and all that remains are my Dirty Blonde locks...

Don't think I'll be dying my hair again ever...

I've been thinking about going blond but as a brunette, I know that haircolor will be HIGH maintenance. It may be worth it though. It's something I've always wanted to do. I don't know if I have the right skin coloring to go blond though...

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 5 2008, 09:00 AM)
I've been thinking about going blond but as a brunette, I know that haircolor will be HIGH maintenance. It may be worth it though. It's something I've always wanted to do. I don't know if I have the right skin coloring to go blond though...

Thats why there are many different shades of blonde. I myself am pale as hell but when I went a honey blonde it gave my face some colour and made me look less washed out. I also have done light blonde, but to make sure it doesnt make you look too light you might wanna highlight it. biggrin.gif

Dont be afraid to try something new with your hair, you can always change it back if you dont like it.

Good luck! trink39.gif

Well I had a blunder this time but at least I can fix it in a few days. I bleached the purple out of my hair and then dyed it a light shade of beige blonde. No dice... so I gotta get an ash blonde shade to tone it down a few notches. LOL z7shysterical.gif

Im such an idiot sometimes. wacko.gif

My hair really lightened up in all this sun. I wasn't liking it at all! So now it's deep, dark brown but the red still comes through a little. I'd give anything to have just a nice, soft brown color. I hate how this red comes through everything.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 13 2008, 04:23 PM)
My hair really lightened up in all this sun. I wasn't liking it at all! So now it's deep, dark brown but the red still comes through a little. I'd give anything to have just a nice, soft brown color. I hate how this red comes through everything.

OMG me too! Damn red hair! Argh thats why I need an ash blonde to tone this colour down. Damn red keeps brightening it up. angry.gif Sakes!

When I dyed my hair black, it did not go well with my fair skin, and I looked like one of those goth chicks, lol laugh.gif

Needless to say, as I was growing out the black (rather than getting my hair stripped), mum decided to buy me some Golden Brown hair dye to use, thinking that it would cover up the black, but instead, I had Golden Brown hair with Black ends,and when that grew out, I had TRI-colored hair!!

Now it seems that my natural hair color is more dominant, but there's still slightly Black ends...

Oh yeah, my hair dying days are indeed OVER. smile.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 13 2008, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 13 2008, 04:23 PM)

OMG me too! Damn red hair! Argh thats why I need an ash blonde to tone this colour down. Damn red keeps brightening it up. angry.gif Sakes!

I can't believe how much the red dominates. No matter the color, you see red. It sorts of looks like I put in red highlights into a dark color.

That's why if I ever wanted to go blond, I would have to have my hair bleached white probably and then have the blond color put in. That would fry my hair and then the upkeep would be insane. My hair grows fast so I would always be in for touch ups.

Jeez! Hair!!