Hair color

Mara

I just got back from having about an inch and a half of root growth touched up. Three hours with my head in foils. . .at least the aliens couldn't hear my thoughts. I copped a few schla03.gif

It got me thinking, though. How many of us NWW apply some sort of color process to their hair? How many stick with what Nature gave them? (Nature was kind enough to give ME mousy, turd-brown locks with no character whatsoever. I recently went back to an ashy blonde shade. I've colored it kind of an espresso shade for the last 5 years).

Do you color your hair, ladies?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't, since I'm paranoid about putting chemicals on my hair, plus I'm cheap and lazy. laugh.gif I do kind of want to try that henna they sell at Lush, though. It would be quite the operation, since my hair is almost tailbone-length. It's times like this I miss having close friends who are women, because who else is going to help you out with an undertaking like that? In fact-- anyone else here live in Los Angeles? XD

QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 31 2008, 04:50 PM)
I don't, since I'm paranoid about putting chemicals on my hair, plus I'm cheap and lazy. laugh.gif I do kind of want to try that henna they sell at Lush, though. It would be quite the operation, since my hair is almost tailbone-length. It's times like this I miss having close friends who are women, because who else is going to help you out with an undertaking like that? In fact-- anyone else here live in Los Angeles? XD

My hair was just below my tailbone until two years ago. It STAYED in a braid. . .literally. I slept with the braid in, got up and went to the gym 1st thing, then unbraided it to wash it in the shower. As soon as I got out of the shower - back into the braid! Part of it was that I hated having to horse around with a blow dryer for half an hour, especially in the summer. Also, I used to build houses for a living and it made no sense to have 3 feet of hair slinging all over the place on the jobsite. ("Hey! Francisco! Watch it with the Sawzall!")

It was cool, though. I enjoyed the attention it got, although I could do without perfect strangers coming up and tugging on my braid.

Now it's just long enough for a ponytail - right below my shoulders. Sometimes I do miss it!

Kinda reminds me what I need to do next week...touch up the grey nature and my 4 kids have given me. laugh.gif

I have been puting stuff in my hair for as long as I can remember, frosting, highlights, cellophane hair treatment and recently color.

I once had some sun-kissed process being done and the building had to be evacuated due to a fire, by the time we got back in and I was able to rince my hair ohmy.gif it was almost white blonde in spots and fried.

I try and do it myself. When I need an extra hand my daughter pitches in, as long as I promise to give her a few highlights too.

What I would love to have done is a cholesterol treatment, but I don't know if that is still done. unsure.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ May 31 2008, 05:20 PM)
Kinda reminds me what I need to do next week...touch up the grey nature and my 4 kids have given me. laugh.gif

I have been puting stuff in my hair for as long as I can remember, frosting, highlights, cellophane hair treatment and recently color.

I once had some sun-kissed process being done and the building had to be evacuated due to a fire, by the time we got back in and I was able to rince my hair ohmy.gif it was almost white blonde in spots and fried.

I try and do it myself. When I need an extra hand my daughter pitches in, as long as I promise to give her a few highlights too.

What I would love to have done is a cholesterol treatment, but I don't know if that is still done. unsure.gif

If you want a do-it-yourself cholesterol treatment, you can buy it in the black hair care section. I used to do it when my hair was impossibly long, as the last foot or so would get very dry. It does kinda stink, though, so I followed it up with my regular conditioner (Pantene, nothing fancy - it's a great detangler).

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 31 2008, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ May 31 2008, 05:20 PM)

I once had some sun-kissed process being done and the building had to be evacuated due to a fire, by the time we got back in and I was able to rince my hair  ohmy.gif it was almost white blonde in spots and fried.

If you want a do-it-yourself cholesterol treatment, you can buy it in the black hair care section. I used to do it when my hair was impossibly long, as the last foot or so would get very dry. It does kinda stink, though, so I followed it up with my regular conditioner (Pantene, nothing fancy - it's a great detangler).

Oh - i don't remember a stink unsure.gif - maybe I should try something else. eh.gif

I perm for curl, so color is out for the moment. I think that I've dyed my hair just about every color in existence over the years, though - albeit not always on purpose. I guess that's why they always warn you to do a strand test...

I went gray before I was 30, so I have been coloring a long time, and I do it myself. I like Hydrience, but I don't use their pre-conditioning treatment. It's almost time to do it again...

QUOTE (Maddy @ May 31 2008, 08:17 PM)
I perm for curl, so color is out for the moment. I think that I've dyed my hair just about every color in existence over the years, though - albeit not always on purpose. I guess that's why they always warn you to do a strand test...

Yah. . .I've had it turn magenta, and once I turned the top part canary yellow when I was trying to save $$$ and do my touch-ups myself. The next day I strolled into the salon, baseball cap firmly in place, for a color correction, which cost more than a regular touch-up would have.

Blonde is not something I can do at home. My hair HAS to have bleach, because it has a lot of red undertones, and the drugstore stuff just turns it orange. Plus all those foils . . .can't do that to your own head.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 31 2008, 03:50 PM)
I don't, since I'm paranoid about putting chemicals on my hair, plus I'm cheap and lazy. laugh.gif I do kind of want to try that henna they sell at Lush, though.  It would be quite the operation, since my hair is almost tailbone-length.  It's times like this I miss having close friends who are women, because who else is going to help you out with an undertaking like that?  In fact-- anyone else here live in Los Angeles? XD

I've been using henna for about 20 years now, and my hair is a bit below waist-length - definitely quite an undertaking with something as heavy and unwieldy as wet henna.

Wish I was in LA, Edgy; we could do each other's! It's not for the faint of heart, though; true henna feels, looks, and smells precisely like cow crap. The results are wonderful, though. Though my hair is quite long, it's rather thin and the henna thickens it and makes it glossy. My natural color, previously dark blond, has over the years turned into a nondescript grayish brownish. I usually use a burgundy or mahogany shade.

I'm with you, Marathonist - the braid. yes.gif the attention is nice, but the braid is better! Except when on a date... then the hair is in pins, to be removed when the time is right wink.gif laugh.gif

K

Edited by OriginalFan

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ May 31 2008, 09:06 PM)

I'm with you, Marathonist - the braid. yes.gif the attention is nice, but the braid is better! Except when on a date... then the hair is in pins, to be removed when the time is right wink.gif laugh.gif

Good call! laugh.gif

I do, I was salt and pepper at 26 which was a *few* wink.gif years ago and I've been coloring it ever since. I go every 4 weeks to get it done which is a huge pain since it grows so fast and I get highlights every 3 months or so. My hair is really healthy and has a lot of shine. As long as you don't fry it with overprocessing, blow dryers, flat irons etc. you can color it if you'd like and still have it look healthy.

If it wasn't for the grey though I wouldn't mess with it. Far too much work to keep up and I liked my natural color. Oh well I'm still far too young to be grey.

All my life, I had (what I considered to be) perfect, California blonde hair. Golden, bordering on platinum. I scoffed at coloring.

That is, until my two very blonde daughters sucked the California right out of my hair, leaving me with drab, "dishwater" blonde hair. Now, I am a full fledged follower of the Color Brigade. And I vary my color depending on the time of year...always blondish. In the fall I have reddish lowlights and gold highlights put in. And in the summer I get bleached.

I've been dying my hair since I was 12.

I was about to let it grow back, because I dyed my hair dark again, then I found 3 gray hairs, so I yanked them out and dyed my hair again. (I'm 18 now). So I'm kind of hoping those were just freak hairs because whenever my roots are showing I haven't noticed any since.

I've dyed my hair blond, reddish-brown, black, deep purple, red, brown with pink and blue, blond with pink... today it's reddish.

I've always done my hair myself, and my mom helps me cut it.

Edited by izzy

Nope, no coloring here. I have very dark brown hair that is naturally curly. It's just past my shoulders in length.

I'm studiously avoiding the greys I find every morning. *whistling idly*

I get honey-colored highlights every couple months or so. They're about $50 each time, but it comes with a cut and style too, so not too bad. I've done color at home but because of the difference in chemicals from a box, no matter what color I put it, it leaves my hair orangy-red. When I get it done at the salon, the color stays put and makes my hair look healthier than box color (even though dying isn't really "healthy" for the hair)

I think highlights give my hair a little more dimension than the dark brown it is. Right now the style is an angled bob so it looks kinda edgy.

In high school, I played with colour a couple of times...

But it never really was quite "right" looking. So I let my hair grow out. Yeah, it looked kinda funny for a while, but I always wore it pulled back anyway, so no one really noticed.

Then I saw a couple of silvers starting (massive test anxiety... and it was showing up!) And I thought they looked kinda cool, so I never bothered with colouring again.

Now, it's a couple dozen silver strands, and it still looks cool, to me.

I do my mother-in-law's hair, though. Light auburn looks wonderful on her.

Edited by Garden Dancer

I've been colouring mine since I was about 15. These days it's just to hide the greys but it's been all manner of weird and wonderfuls. Must do it again soon as the grey bits are showing through. I just don't like 'em!

Not yet, but I'm getting there...and I have more silver on one side than the other - tell me that's not a pain in the ass...

QUOTE (librarian @ Jun 6 2008, 06:11 PM)
Not yet, but I'm getting there...and I have more silver on one side than the other - tell me that's not a pain in the ass...

I've decided that as long as I keep coloring my hair, I'll never know when the grey starts!

Only my hairdresser knows for sure . . .

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z147/HenHaven/Forum%20pics/TortoiseandHare.jpg

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif laugh.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

nope, never again (tho i reserve the right to change my mind wink.gif )

from age 13 to about 26 i used the lightest Loreal blonde they made,

but i hated the maintenance. angry.gif

when i decided i was sick of it, i couldn't remember (or even guess)

what my natural color was. i picked a light brown,

but came out WAY to dark. laugh.gif

so i was brunette for a day before it faded into a lovely shade of lavender eh.gif

fortunately, it was halloween, and i got away with it. unsure.gif

then it faded to blondish again until my real color grew out. ph34r.gif

once the real color got long enough, i had the rest cut off 1287.gif

and got a spiral perm which is still with me *gulp* 13 years later. 653.gif

i'm not sure what color it is now confused13.gif

it's blonde in the morning light and red in the afternoon sun fing.gif

...with gray "highlights" biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jun 13 2008, 08:11 PM)
nope, never again (tho i reserve the right to change my mind wink.gif )

from age 13 to about 26 i used the lightest Loreal blonde they made,
but i hated the maintenance.  angry.gif 
when i decided i was sick of it, i couldn't remember (or even guess)
what my natural color was.  i picked a light brown,
but came out WAY to dark.  laugh.gif
so i was brunette for a day before it faded into a lovely shade of lavender  eh.gif 
fortunately, it was halloween, and i got away with it.  unsure.gif 
then it faded to blondish again until my real color grew out.  ph34r.gif
once the real color got long enough, i had the rest cut off  1287.gif
and got a spiral perm which is still with me *gulp* 13 years later. 653.gif

i'm not sure what color it is now confused13.gif
it's blonde in the morning light and red in the afternoon sun  fing.gif
...with gray "highlights"  biggrin.gif

Your hair is beautiful, Rolinda!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/Kismet00/Dallas/BeautifulRolinda-1.jpg

biggrin.gif I love this pic!

Edited by OriginalFan

I hate having to admit it, but yes....I had to start coloring about 6 yrs ago. Along with joy, happiness, wub.gif and 2 c-section scars, my children also gave me more gray hair than I could stand! sad.gif eh.gif