Mystery to '1001001' solved?

Maestro

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ May 31 2008, 11:16 AM)
I dont know if it was mentioned, but there's no mystery to 1001001. That's binary code, used in all computers. That's the language that computers speak. They're using the metaphor of machines in the song, and that's just something to represent that in the chorus.

They're basically saying the computer has gone mad.

No one's saying theres a mystery. We're saying that it's pretty handy that it comes to = I in ASCII which is basically just as universal as binary is wink.gif.

Given the subject matter of the song, I consider this relatively important, if not just very coincidential, yes? And also not beyond the realms of possibility considering the amount of Binary/Decimal/Hex/ASCII tables out there.. It's been a well known fact for a long time smile.gif.

Of course the only way to know is to sit down with them and ask them specifically wink.gif.

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Jun 1 2008, 03:25 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 31 2008, 11:16 AM)
I dont know if it was mentioned, but there's no mystery to 1001001. That's binary code, used in all computers. That's the language that computers speak. They're using the metaphor of machines in the song, and that's just something to represent that in the chorus.

They're basically saying the computer has gone mad.

No one's saying theres a mystery. We're saying that it's pretty handy that it comes to = I in ASCII which is basically just as universal as binary is wink.gif.

Given the subject matter of the song, I consider this relatively important, if not just very coincidential, yes? And also not beyond the realms of possibility considering the amount of Binary/Decimal/Hex/ASCII tables out there.. It's been a well known fact for a long time smile.gif.

Of course the only way to know is to sit down with them and ask them specifically wink.gif.

goodpost.gif

From the Thread: 2112 Would Be The Perfect Song If... [...It Were Only 79 Seconds Longer.]

It could be 21 minutes and 12 seconds after all [Here we go disecting 2112 again Why is it that we can't seem to leave that album alone? ]. wink.gif

How to devour 79 seconds... ..To make it fit:

2112 was first released on vinyl, no? Consider this: once the LP is on the turntable, it takes a considerable number of seconds before the album actually cues up. This number of seconds will vary depending on the model of turntable in question. Also, depending on the stylus, anti-skating and tracking level, as well as the adjusted weight on the stylus armature -not to mention the condition of the LP itself- the silent lead-in and lead-out might add an additional second or two.

What I'm saying is that from the moment the 'play' button is pressed until the stylus arm returns to its normal postion at rest could easily take an entire 21 minutes and 12 seconds. yes.gif

It all depends on how you look at it.

For those of you who might argue the point with: The playlength itself is actually 20:33, I offer this: Yes, it is - at 33.333 r/m. But if you have a variable pitch control, what would happen if you slowed it down just a bit? A barely perceptable bit? Round it down to the nearest integer -33? That would add a few seconds, to be sure. I haven't done the math myself, but the result might prove mildly interesting.

Lastly, 20m33s works out to 1233 seconds.

Why couldn't they add just 1 second? Just one more second?

'uh-one, two, three 'FOOUUURRRRR....' wink.gif

Or is 1233 the way it was meant (or intended) to be so we here, now, today could ponder this great mystery some 32 years later? rofl3.gif

If I need 2112's playlength to be 21m12s in order to rest peacfully, assured all is well in a perfectly balanced universe, it is already so close anyway, I could probably find a way to do so without deeply disturbing anyone.

old.gif

III.

Edited by Maestro

QUOTE (Maestro @ Jun 4 2008, 11:38 PM)
From the Thread: 2112 Would Be The Perfect Song If... [...It Were Only 79 Seconds Longer.]

It could be 21 minutes and 12 seconds after all [Here we go disecting 2112 again Why is it that we can't seem to leave that album alone? ]. wink.gif

2112 was first released on vinyl, no? Consider this: once the LP is on the turntable, it takes a considerable number of seconds before the album actually cues up. This number of seconds will vary depending on the model of turntable in question. Also, depending on the stylus, anti-skating and tracking level, as well as the adjusted weight on the stylus armature -not to mention the condition of the LP itself- the silent lead-in and lead-out might add an additional second or two.

What I'm saying is that from the moment the 'play' button is pressed until the stylus arm returns to its normal postion at rest could easily take an entire 21 minutes and 12 seconds. yes.gif

For those of you who might argue the point with: The playlength itself is actually 20:33, I offer this: Yes, it is - at 33.333 r/m. But if you have a variable pitch control, what would happen if you slowed it down just a bit? A barely perceptable bit? Round it down to the nearest integer -33? That would add a few seconds, to be sure. I haven't done the math myself, but the result might prove mildly interesting.

'uh-one, two, three 'FOOUUURRRRR....' wink.gif

Or is 1233 the way it was meant (or intended) to be so we here, now, today could ponder this great mystery some 32 years later? rofl3.gif

If I need 2112's playlength to be 21m12s in order to rest peacfully, assured all is well in a perfectly balanced universe, it is already so close anyway, I could probably find a way to do so without deeply disturbing anyone.

old.gif

III.

I'm sure that in some perfectly balanced parallel universe, Rush's 2112 is exactly 21:12 laugh.gif It's just that in OUR universe, time is running some miniscule iota of a degree faster... or slower... I forget which... tongue.gif

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ May 24 2008, 11:39 PM)
umm
yeah, o.k! wacko.gif

How much cool10.gif did it take to figure that out?? LOL.gif

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jun 5 2008, 07:06 AM)
QUOTE (Maestro @ Jun 4 2008, 11:38 PM)
From the Thread: 2112 Would Be The Perfect Song If...    [...It Were Only 79 Seconds Longer.]

It could be 21 minutes and 12 seconds after all [Here we go disecting 2112 again  Why is it that we can't seem to leave that album alone? ].    wink.gif

What I'm saying is that from the moment the 'play' button is pressed until the stylus arm returns to its normal postion at rest could easily take an entire 21 minutes and 12 seconds.  yes.gif

'uh-one, two, three 'FOOUUURRRRR....'  wink.gif

Or is 1233 the way it was meant (or intended) to be so we here, now, today could ponder this great mystery some 32 years later?  rofl3.gif

old.gif

III.

I'm sure that in some perfectly balanced parallel universe, Rush's 2112 is exactly 21:12 laugh.gif It's just that in OUR universe, time is running some miniscule iota of a degree faster... or slower... I forget which... tongue.gif

Are you the mother of our children, or who? tongue.gif

Stumbling upon this thread feels like resurrecting a madman's dreams, yeah i'm just gonna stick with the theory that Analogue Kid, Digital Man and New World Man are all about the same person

Stumbling upon this thread feels like resurrecting a madman's dreams, yeah i'm just gonna stick with the theory that Analogue Kid, Digital Man and New World Man are all about the same person

I am sticking with Passage to Bangkok, Tai Shan and Territories are about parts of Asia

I am sticking with Passage to Bangkok, Tai Shan and Territories are about parts of Asia

I can't remember if Bogota is the capital of Laos or Cambodia.

Standby let me call Sonny Crockett, he will know

Bogotá is the capital of Colombia, a large country in northwestern South America.