Starting Guitar

Hello everyone, I know you probably are all seasoned musicians, but maybe someone could help me by pointing me in the right direction for beginning guitar. I know music, have played keyboards and several other instruments since I was little, but I have always been fascinated with guitar (electric) and wondered if anyone could give me some pointers to start. Particularly, what should a beginner buy? I do not want to spend $1000 to start, would rather start with something really basic with a small amplifier. I know this is probably an annoying question, I just don't know and I know that if I go into a music store to buy it then the salesman is going to try to sell me something that I don't need. Edited by Apollo was astonished

Do a search in the musician's section here. There some good deals posted from earlier. Can't go wrong with a Fender starter pack. They're around $300 and include an amp, cable, gig bag, strap and stuff.

Check Musician's Friend

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Feb 1 2005, 12:46 AM)
Do a search in the musician's section here. There some good deals posted from earlier. Can't go wrong with a Fender starter pack. They're around $300 and include an amp, cable, gig bag, strap and stuff.
Check Musician's Friend

My niece got that package for Christmas...I was very surprised at the quality of the guitar and amp in there! The Fender Squire guitar was very playable, and the 15watt Fender amp had plenty of kick for a beginner's amp.

This package goes for $280.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guit...ase_pid/519633/

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/519633.jpg

check out some yamaha pacificas as well, they're very nice, and also affordable.

Musician's Friend is owned by Guitar Center. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

It has always been my opinion to buy a better instrument than what you need. How many potential musicians have just given up early on because their instrument was poorly crafted and didn't sound good or was just too frustrating to play? A well crafted instrument will always have resale value if it is well cared for.

My opinion, but it's not my money....

Not really. They're taking over the world. I have a friend who is one of their top sellers. They move inventory around from store to store so having stores in remote locations works for them because they can move thier stock anywhere.

QUOTE (Apollo was astonished @ Jan 31 2005, 08:23 PM)
Hello everyone, I know you probably are all seasoned musicians, but maybe someone could help me by pointing me in the right direction for beginning guitar. I know music, have played keyboards and several other instruments since I was little, but I have always been fascinated with guitar (electric) and wondered if anyone could give me some pointers to start. Particularly, what should a beginner buy? I do not want to spend $1000 to start, would rather start with something really basic with a small amplifier. I know this is probably an annoying question, I just don't know and I know that if I go into a music store to buy it then the salesman is going to try to sell me something that I don't need.

well from my experience,when I started out with a 150 dollar guitar and a cheaper amp and I played those for several years until i practiced and practiced and got better,then i started buying better equipment as i got better,i would not let a salesman sale me anything i didnt need right off the bat