the Genesis thread

edgyspice

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 27 2008, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 27 2008, 07:32 AM)

Sunrise, Florida:  IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality are pleased to announce the release of a new single from Simon Collins featuring, for the first time in his career a cover of a Genesis song paying tribute to his father Phil Collins' work with the band. The song, "Keep it Dark" from the album "Abacab," was chosen by Simon and co-producer Dave Kerzner of Sonic Reality.

That's one of my fave Genesis songs! I'll have to DL it when I get home.

I tried the link and it was down. sad.gif

Maybe his MySapce page has it.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 7 2008, 06:19 AM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 6 2008, 10:13 PM)
Tasia dear, thanks for posting those clips.  The "Watcher" was about 18 months ago...I think we sound a LOT better now.  ohmy.gif

Well I think you guys sounded pretty damn good already! Better now you say? Well, more YouTube clips please! yes.gif

thanks!!

I hope we will have some more recent clips up soon. I will post here when that happens. smile.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 27 2008, 02:39 AM)
GENESIS 1970-75 RELEASED NOV 10 2008!!!!

All albums from Trespass to Lamb, DVD footage and a disc of extras, including "Genesis Plays Jackson", a soundtrack for an aborted BBC Art film on the work of painter Michael Jackson.

And there was me thinking it was their take on the Jackson 5 ouvre. Now that would be interesting. Or horrific. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

I cannot wait for this box to come out, if the DVDs' are anything like the other 2 sets we're in for a treat.

I did not buy the previous two boxes, just a couple of the individual releases (Trick, ATTW3, and Duke) cause I wanted the extras.

But, since this has the Jackson tapes, I have no choice but to buy the whole darn thing.

Buyer beware though.... if you love these albums, KEEP your old albums and CDs. The remixes thus far, although very interesting, have been (mostly) highly compressed. In my mind they will never replace the original versions. Same goes for the other 2 box sets as well....

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 27 2008, 08:32 AM)
I don't know if any of you realized Phil Collins son, Simon, is following in his dad's footsteps. I just stumbled upon this.

Simon Collins Tribute to Genesis with IK and Sonic Reality Products
Sunrise, FL Jun 14, 2007 in Music and Recording
http://prmac.com/release-id-526.htm

Sunrise, Florida: IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality are pleased to announce the release of a new single from Simon Collins featuring, for the first time in his career a cover of a Genesis song paying tribute to his father Phil Collins' work with the band. The song, "Keep it Dark" from the album "Abacab," was chosen by Simon and co-producer Dave Kerzner of Sonic Reality.

"I've always had a special affinity for this song," says Collins, "and when I met Dave during Genesis' rehearsals for their upcoming reunion tour, we both agreed it would be a cool song to do together."

This modernized and futuristic version of the early 1980's offbeat Genesis single, "Keep it Dark," was created by Simon and Dave from the ground up using Dave's cutting edge music software made with IK Multimedia and Sonic Reality. From virtual guitar amplifiers in products like AmpliTube and AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix™ to acoustic drums and other sounds from products such as SampleTank, Sonik Synth and Studiophonik, this track was made almost entirely inside the computer.

"So many musicians, including Genesis themselves, use our software to make music with the computer," says Kerzner. "I was really excited to use these musical tools with Simon to pay tribute to one of my favorite bands, Genesis."

Simon Collins' music is a fusion of pop, progressive rock and electronica and the song "Keep it Dark" has a theme that fits in with Simon's fascination with space, science, mystery and the unknown. This version takes the song into darker sonic territory and uses IK software to weave rich complex textures with dimension and edge.

The song is available as a limited-time free download from: http://www.keepitdark.net

For more information on Simon Collins visit: http://www.simoncollins.net and http://www.myspace.com/sonicreality

Cool cover of Keep It Dark there!!

It was played before the Genesis show at the Hollywood Bowl..both nights.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 27 2008, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 27 2008, 01:39 AM)
GENESIS 1970-75 RELEASED NOV 10 2008!!!!

All albums from Trespass to Lamb, DVD footage and a disc of extras, including "Genesis Plays Jackson", a soundtrack for an aborted BBC Art film on the work of painter Michael Jackson.

And there was me thinking it was their take on the Jackson 5 ouvre. Now that would be interesting. Or horrific. ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif

I cannot wait for this box to come out, if the DVDs' are anything like the other 2 sets we're in for a treat.

Is this the long-awaited box set my friends keep talking wistfully about? I heard it got delayed a bunch of times. Anyone know why?

I'd heard that PG wanted more work done on the surround mix for Lamb Lies Down...

I hope it's worth the wait! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 27 2008, 01:02 PM)
Buyer beware though.... if you love these albums, KEEP your old albums and CDs. The remixes thus far, although very interesting, have been (mostly) highly compressed. In my mind they will never replace the original versions. Same goes for the other 2 box sets as well....

Wait, are these the same box sets that included the SACDs? Because at the very least, Duke, Trick of the Tail and Abacab sounded OK to me.

Genesis plays Jackson, huh? That's another reel of music I had no idea existed. They keep mounting. I came across another two just recently. A while back I told Mystic Slipperman about stumbling across the studio material on Side Four of Three Sides Live and how I hadn't heard songs like 'Paperlate' and 'You Might Recall' since their brief stint on the radio back when I was a kid. But, just this week I found a three-song EP that apparently came out in 1977. 'Spot The Pigeon' they called it. I have no idea how it was released or if many at all got to hear the thing back in the day. But, it's nothing to get real excited about anyway. Only the last track 'Inside and Out' appears to be a keeper. And, the whole lot is probably comprised of leftovers from the Wind and Wuthering sessions. Nevertheless, another three new Genesis songs for those who have never heard them. But, I'd like to know if this Pigeon EP was released as part of the second box??

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 27 2008, 08:01 PM)
Buyer beware though.... if you love these albums, KEEP your old albums and CDs.  The remixes thus far, although very interesting, have been (mostly) highly compressed.  In my mind they will never replace the original versions.  Same goes for the other 2 box sets as well....

Wait, are these the same box sets that included the SACDs? Because at the very least, Duke, Trick of the Tail and Abacab sounded OK to me.

Yes...they are the same.

I'm glad you like the way they sound. I wish *I* did.... sad.gif

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 28 2008, 08:14 AM)
Genesis plays Jackson, huh? That's another reel of music I had no idea existed. They keep mounting. I came across another two just recently. A while back I told Mystic Slipperman about stumbling across the studio material on Side Four of Three Sides Live and how I hadn't heard songs like 'Paperlate' and 'You Might Recall' since their brief stint on the radio back when I was a kid. But, just this week I found a three-song EP that apparently came out in 1977. 'Spot The Pigeon' they called it. I have no idea how it was released or if many at all got to hear the thing back in the day. But, it's nothing to get real excited about anyway. Only the last track 'Inside and Out' appears to be a keeper. And, the whole lot is probably comprised of leftovers from the Wind and Wuthering sessions. Nevertheless, another three new Genesis songs for those who have never heard them. But, I'd like to know if this Pigeon EP was released as part of the second box??

aaahh. Spot the Pigeon EP. And you discovered the one great track on it.."Inside And Out".

It came out in summer 1977, and Genesis played "Inside and Out" live very briefly during this period.

These tracks are on the "bonus disc" that came with the 1976-82 box set.

Nah, I just listened to it again and the lead-off track, 'Match of the Day' is catchy as all get-out. I should know by now not to judge a song on the first time I hear it, but I'll do it again tomorrow for sure. lol. Is this Genesis Plays Jackson a finished piece of music that never got published, like along the lines of Tull's Chateau D'isaster?

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 28 2008, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (moltenlava @ Aug 28 2008, 08:14 AM)
Genesis plays Jackson, huh?  That's another reel of music I had no idea existed.  They keep mounting.  I came across another two just recently.  A while back I told Mystic Slipperman about stumbling across the studio material on Side Four of Three Sides Live and how I hadn't heard songs like 'Paperlate' and 'You Might Recall' since their brief stint on the radio back when I was a kid.  But, just this week I found a three-song EP that apparently came out in 1977.  'Spot The Pigeon' they called it.  I have no idea how it was released or if many at all got to hear the thing back in the day.  But, it's nothing to get real excited about anyway.  Only the last track 'Inside and Out' appears to be a keeper.  And, the whole lot is probably comprised of leftovers from the Wind and Wuthering sessions.  Nevertheless, another three new Genesis songs for those who have never heard them.  But, I'd like to know if this Pigeon EP was released as part of the second box??

aaahh. Spot the Pigeon EP. And you discovered the one great track on it.."Inside And Out".

It came out in summer 1977, and Genesis played "Inside and Out" live very briefly during this period.

These tracks are on the "bonus disc" that came with the 1976-82 box set.

Actually, I like all cuts off StP. 653.gif

edit: typo

Out of all my friends that will a,ctually listen to Genesis with me, they all prefer Phil Collins era over Peter Gabriel. I highly enjoy the Peter Gabriel era more, especially the songs; The Knife, SEBTP, Musical Box, and some others i cant name off the top of my head right now.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 28 2008, 08:07 AM)
Buyer beware though.... if you love these albums, KEEP your old albums and CDs.  The remixes thus far, although very interesting, have been (mostly) highly compressed.  In my mind they will never replace the original versions.  Same goes for the other 2 box sets as well....

Yes...they are the same.

I was listening to my friend's SACD copies, and he owns the British editions. So maybe there's a difference in the mix between the UK and US versions? I dunno. He and I think the mixes are top-notch, though. confused13.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 2 2008, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 28 2008, 08:07 AM)

Yes...they are the same.

I was listening to my friend's SACD copies, and he owns the British editions. So maybe there's a difference in the mix between the UK and US versions? I dunno. He and I think the mixes are top-notch, though. confused13.gif

This is one of those issues which (IMO) has really divided the Genesis fanbase.

I wonder what people will think of the remixes in 5 years... smile.gif

If I can find a way to post it, I will post a comparison between the original mix of Dance on a Volcano and the remix/remaster. The mix and compression differences are VERY apparent on that track. In the end, everyone decides for themselves which they prefer though!

Maybe it's different for me 'cause I grew up on the original CDs (and then bought the LPs). As cool as the remixes are, for me they'll never supplant the originals. Also, I am hyper-sensitive to compression, particularly on music I know really well. So that also plays into it.

To my knowledge the stereo discs are the same, UK or US. But the Surround discs are a little different. One of my buddies who has a great surround system hasn't made up his mind which versions he likes better....yet!

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 2 2008, 12:19 PM)

This is one of those issues which (IMO) has really divided the Genesis fanbase.

I wonder what people will think of the remixes in 5 years... smile.gif

If I can find a way to post it, I will post a comparison between the original mix of Dance on a Volcano and the remix/remaster. The mix and compression differences are VERY apparent on that track. In the end, everyone decides for themselves which they prefer though!

Maybe it's different for me 'cause I grew up on the original CDs (and then bought the LPs). As cool as the remixes are, for me they'll never supplant the originals. Also, I am hyper-sensitive to compression, particularly on music I know really well. So that also plays into it.

To my knowledge the stereo discs are the same, UK or US. But the Surround discs are a little different. One of my buddies who has a great surround system hasn't made up his mind which versions he likes better....yet!

I'd be interested in hearing the comparison if you're able to post it.

I guess I'll have to make my friend play those albums again next time I see him so I can listen a bit closer. Gee, what a chore! biggrin.gif

i have not heard paperlate in years and years . i forgot all about that song

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 4 2008, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 4 2008, 08:22 AM)

I love that song! Especially the way Phil plays on it.

I have always liked side four of Three Sides Live.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 4 2008, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 4 2008, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 4 2008, 08:22 AM)

I love that song! Especially the way Phil plays on it.

I have always liked side four of Three Sides Live.

Me too...I remember when You Might Recall got lots of FM radio play.

The last two tracks on that side (Evidence of Autumn and Open Door) are wonderful....they were leftovers from Duke. Strong period for Genesis!

Archived