the Genesis thread

edgyspice

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 6 2008, 05:40 PM)
This is what Sunday afternoon boredom does to you; and no I'm not stoned.

Until I heard The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway I always felt that Pink Floyd's The Wall was the most disturbing, confusing concept album ever written. But The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway goes beyond that.

I've read at least two huge essays from different people explaining their theories on the album and deciphering some of the smartest lyrics ever written. A lot of it is incognito or innuendo, for example "cuddling the porcupine" representing masturbating or "Rael, Imperial Aerosol Kid, wipes his gun he's forgotten what he did" being a reference to graffiting the subway or performing some kind of illegal sex act that somehow negatively affects the character Brother John and sets the foundation for the rest of the story.

However the one thing that I've never seen explained either directly or through some double entendre is the presence of The Lamb. As Rael exits the subway why the f**k is a lamb lying down there? The easy way out for these essay writers who can't explain it is to call it a red herring or just a random occurance out of nowhere that happened to sound good in the lyrics and as a title but no...

I have solved the mystery, or at least created my own interpretation that may be interesting to some of you. One of several meanings is quite obvious and when I first came across it this morning I was pretty surprised that none of the two essays I've read who have pulled so much from the album that I could never do have missed the significant of The Lamb. They've gone into great detail over lines like "Lenny Bruce declares a truce" that I wouldn't have even given a second thought yet it's so straight forward;

The Lamb, as in the season of Spring represents new life being born. Whatever it was that Rael did in the subway has resulted in "the Wall Of Death" being lowered in Times Square and him essentially embarking on his weird underground journey in the parrallel universe version of New York City. I know this is rebirth rather than birth but I do feel that Rael's rebirth in the alternative New York is what The Lamb is doing there.

A lesser known symbolism of lambs is sacrifice, not exactly sure where this originates from but I know I'm right. Rael sacrifices his erm... pubic hair which I'm not exactly sure how to explain but there you go, there's also bigger sacrifices than this, check out the The Lamia for example and I guess saving John could be seen as potential self sacrifice.

Anyway there you go, I typed it out for myself but if anyone wants to read it there it is. I considered starting a thread for other people's reactions and interpretations of the record but I just don't think the response would be great enough to warrant an entire thread. But any other interesting theories should be posted here I'd be more than happy to read through them, very interesting to me...

One day I want to write my own The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway theories down, I have some other slight tangents to what has been written in others I've read, at the moment with work most of the week and worrying about exam results I don't think it would be a good time but I thought it might be worth saving what I already have.

Great stuff! applaudit.gif

Did you see the Mojo award ceremony and post show interviews on www.mojo4music.com, with Al Murray?

They won the lifetime achievement award.

Very funny stuff indeed

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 6 2008, 07:40 PM)
A lesser known symbolism of lambs is sacrifice, not exactly sure where this originates from but I know I'm right.

From the Bible. There are several quotes in which Jesus is symbolized by a lamb taken to sacrifice. That's why I had to gasp when you said "lesser known": it's always been manifest for me.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 8 2008, 11:03 AM)
A lesser known symbolism of lambs is sacrifice, not exactly sure where this originates from but I know I'm right.

From the Bible. There are several quotes in which Jesus is symbolized by a lamb taken to sacrifice. That's why I had to gasp when you said "lesser known": it's always been manifest for me.

Lesser known to me then I guess. I'm not religious. ohmy.gif

And no Hatchetaxe&saw, didn't see that but wish I had... Is it on YouTube?

I think not knowing can be a good thing. It's hard to get inside of Peter Gabriel's mind. Same with Jon Anderson. Listening to their music is like looking at surrealist paintings. There's a message in there that may be only clear to the creator and a mystery to everyone else.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 8 2008, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 8 2008, 11:03 AM)

Lesser known to me then I guess. I'm not religious. ohmy.gif

And no Hatchetaxe&saw, didn't see that but wish I had... Is it on YouTube?

It's on the website mentioned above. It's a howl!

I love all of Genesis's albums, but my absolute favorites are Trespass through Wind and Wuthering. There's just a magic that's contained within those albums, that's not on any other Genesis album (although Duke comes close.)

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Jul 9 2008, 08:09 AM)
I love all of Genesis's albums, but my absolute favorites are Trespass through Wind and Wuthering. There's just a magic that's contained within those albums, that's not on any other Genesis album (although Duke comes close.)

There's a certain "whimsy" to the tunes. Almost child-like in its storytelling format.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 9 2008, 02:25 PM)
I admit I think Trespass is a snoozefest. sad.gif

There are a couple decent tunes on Trepass. White Mountain and Stagnation come to mind.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 9 2008, 07:31 PM)

There are a couple decent tunes on Trepass. White Mountain and Stagnation come to mind.

I don't like those ones. I love The Knife and Looking For Someone is pretty cool, the rest I can go without ever hearing again.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 9 2008, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 9 2008, 07:31 PM)

I don't like those ones. I love The Knife and Looking For Someone is pretty cool, the rest I can go without ever hearing again.

I love "Stagnation." sad.gif

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Jul 9 2008, 03:01 PM)
Stagnation, Visions of Angels, White Mountain...

Trespass is one of my top Genesis albums. Criminally underrated imo yes.gif

yeah, I like Trespass, too. "Stagnation" is probably my fave.

Fun Trespass Fact: "Visions of Angels" was written by Ant Phillips for Peter Gabriel's girlfriend (later wife) Jill, who he had an unrequited crush on. It's sort of funny to imagine Peter singing that song live night after night and just having no clue. XD

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jul 9 2008, 03:57 PM)
Fun Trespass Fact: "Visions of Angels" was written by Ant Phillips for Peter Gabriel's girlfriend (later wife) Jill, who he had an unrequited crush on. It's sort of funny to imagine Peter singing that song live night after night and just having no clue. XD

I never knew that. Cool tidbit! yes.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 9 2008, 09:00 PM)
Fun Trespass Fact: "Visions of Angels" was written by Ant Phillips for Peter Gabriel's girlfriend (later wife) Jill, who he had an unrequited crush on.  It's sort of funny to imagine Peter singing that song live night after night and just having no clue. XD

Is that in Chapter And Verse? I'm sure I heard it someone before but can't remember where... Probably that book right?

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 9 2008, 12:30 PM)
Fun Trespass Fact: "Visions of Angels" was written by Ant Phillips for Peter Gabriel's girlfriend (later wife) Jill, who he had an unrequited crush on.  It's sort of funny to imagine Peter singing that song live night after night and just having no clue. XD

Is that in Chapter And Verse? I'm sure I heard it someone before but can't remember where... Probably that book right?

Yes indeed!

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jul 9 2008, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jul 9 2008, 12:30 PM)

Yes indeed!

Thought so, I should read that again... it's sat behind me right now!

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jul 9 2008, 10:01 PM)
Almost forgot: check out the lastest addition to my living room wall! (Pardon the poor picture quality.)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/edgyspice/IMG00012.jpg

A week after the Bicentennial

Archived