IRON MAN !

Tick

If im the first to see it, let me just say it was awesome indeed ! Robert Downey was the perfect Tony Stark, and being a big fan of the comic book, im a tough critic. This movie ranks among the best of all the Marvel comic book adaptions to reach the big screen. See it and post your thoughts. Please, no spoilers. It will be a tough summer blockbuster for this years crop to top.

Fantastic movie! Lots of fun. Go see it!

Oh, and sit throught the credits, there's a cool surprise afterwards.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 2 2008, 09:17 PM)
Fantastic movie! Lots of fun. Go see it!

Oh, and sit throught the credits, there's a cool surprise afterwards.

Damn I wish I stayed!

Just got back. Grade A stuff. Robert Downey Jr. was brilliant. Yeah, I had some problems with stuff, but not enough to diminish the overall effect. Highly entertaining. Highly recommended. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

4 stars of 5. One star knock for some typical genre fighting scenes that don't rise above the norm, especially near the end. The stuff in the Middle East represent the best of the action.

The BEST parts of these film are where not much happens at all....like Stark building both suits, especially the second one. His interaction with his watch-dog robot are both keenly sweet and funny. Lots of really sincere charm there, the type of subtle elements so often MISSING from like comic book films. I almost could've done entirely WITHOUT the end sequence, which felt forced and gratuitous. Thankfully this almost after-thought "battle" was brief.

Have no doubts about Downey. He's the entire reason this film rises well above the norm for hero films. He nails the Stark character perfectly and the alcoholism is just keenly ironic.

That being said it's not nearly as good as Batman Begins, insofar as the plot...character development....and that's probably because I prefer the more "serious" side of these films. BUT it is good fun. And the Downey Jr./Bridges relationship adds up to a pair of performances that is above what you normally get for a "comic book" movie.

Even the humor is finely handled (well written and again, perfectly acted)...and, as importantly, well timed. So often the humor in these kinds of films comes unintentionally...and the "jokes" fall flat. Not here.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 5 2008, 04:32 AM)
4 stars of 5. One star knock for some typical genre fighting scenes that don't rise above the norm, especially near the end. The stuff in the Middle East represent the best of the action.

The BEST parts of these film are where not much happens at all....like Stark building both suits, especially the second one. His interaction with his watch-dog robot are both keenly sweet and funny. Lots of really sincere charm there, the type of subtle elements so often MISSING from like comic book films. I almost could've done entirely WITHOUT the end sequence, which felt forced and gratuitous. Thankfully this almost after-thought "battle" was brief.

Have no doubts about Downey. He's the entire reason this film rises well above the norm for hero films. He nails the Stark character perfectly and the alcoholism is just keenly ironic.

That being said it's not nearly as good as Batman Begins, insofar as the plot...character development....and that's probably because I prefer the more "serious" side of these films. BUT it is good fun. And the Downey Jr./Bridges relationship adds up to a pair of performances that is above what you normally get for a "comic book" movie.

Even the humor is finely handled (well written and again, perfectly acted)...and, as importantly, well timed. So often the humor in these kinds of films comes unintentionally...and the "jokes" fall flat. Not here.

Totally agree with you!! The "big battle" moment I found kinda boring... The best moments are the ones you pointed out... Just a little praise for Gwyneth Paltrow - she is gorgeous and has some good lines...

Overall a very good movie! Robert Downey is great!

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ May 5 2008, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ May 4 2008, 09:53 PM)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/ciszowski_matt/ironman.jpg

laugh.gif That's rich! Is that actually in the movie I wonder?

Where else would it be from?

QUOTE (snowdogged @ May 5 2008, 01:41 PM)

(PSSSST...the sign) wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 5 2008, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ May 5 2008, 01:41 PM)

(PSSSST...the sign) wink.gif

I guess it is possible, but I would bet money that it is a scene from the movie.