50 Best Cult Books

Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 1 2008, 07:59 PM)
Are there any books on the list that you haven't read but curious to check out?

The Dice Man sounds like a very interesting read. Unfortunately my local library doesn't have it.

anybody else read The Dice Man?

The Dice Man is interesting. The writing is a challenge - it isn't something you can breeze through. It's almost stream of consciousness in some spots. There are sequels, which I haven't read.

Interesting factoid: For anyone who ever liked the 80's band Talk Talk, their song "Such A Shame" was inspired by The Dice Man.

Vonnegut, Bulgakov, Rand (although Atlas Shrugged is far superior to Fountainhead), Huxley, Adams... It's certainly a list I can live with.

Their remark about Calvino's Winter Night are spot on.

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ May 2 2008, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 1 2008, 07:59 PM)
Are there any books on the list that you haven't read but curious to check out? 

The Dice Man sounds like a very interesting read.  Unfortunately my local library doesn't have it.

anybody else read The Dice Man?

The Dice Man....

I can tell you all about it....

Hickory, dickory dock,

Some b**ch was suckin'.....

Or maybe this one.

Little Miss Muffett, sat on a tuffett,

Eating her curds and whey.

Along came a spider, sat down beside her,

and said,"What's in the bowl b**ch"?!

It goes on, and on......

I like what Dennis Miller said about Andrew Dice Clay (who I, incidentally, never found funny): "He's Fonzie with Tourette's Syndrome"! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 15 2008, 02:10 PM)
I like what Dennis Miller said about Andrew Dice Clay (who I, incidentally, never found funny): "He's Fonzie with Tourette's Syndrome"!  laugh.gif

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

Miller also impersonated the 'liberal intelligentsia' on Dice: "I can see right through Andrew Dice Clay, but then again, I do have a degree from Tallahassee JuCo..." laugh.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Slime @ May 15 2008, 12:11 AM)
Slaughterhouse Five is necessary reading for any human being who has a pulse, but I think any book that could be assigned reading in school is no longer in "cult" territory.

slaughterhouse-five is one of my favorite books from my favorite author. i immediately though of it when i saw this thread and sure enough it was the first one on the list.

the thing about your comment is that slaughterhouse five was assigned as summer reading for my 12th grade english class. so was the stranger by camus. two life changing books though.

Edited by heartofcygnus

Not on the list - - but EVERYWHERE cool around here in academic circles of all ages you can find people carrying the little white covered book, Manifesto, by anonymous.

It is an easy, but profound read, in the style of a journal.

The author, in the middle of ADD-type ramblings comes up with really sensual observations:

Cars passed slow with the wind brushing up my hair. I listened to the dusty dirt on the bottoms of my new leather shoes. I felt slow like a fish underwater, like a soft cloud pulled along.

If you still have a pinch of rebellion in your soul, as I do, I recommend this cute little book as a fun summer read!!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 2 2008, 04:02 AM)

Snobbery is a dreadful thing, but intellectual snobbery is worse.

goodpost.gif

Nice list, there's a few books on there I would like to check out. Fear and Loathing for example, the only copy of it I had disappeared before I could read it, which seems to happen to most of my books. I do wonder why Orwell's 1984 isn't on this list as well. A couple books I would add are Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (a required read as a freshman in a college science course) and The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea.

To Kill a Mocking Bird is one of the best books I ever read, and probably the best work of fiction I have read. Others on the list I have read: Catcher in the Rye, Siddhartha, and Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I just realized...This is twice today I have written "Siddhartha" somewhere on TRF...

ph34r.gif

Edited by LoneStar Boogie

Gary Jennings' The Journeyer and Aztec should be on that list, along with Clive Barker's Imagica and Herbert's first Dune trilogy.

And where the feck are Adams' Watership Down and Maia?

QUOTE (Slime @ May 15 2008, 12:11 AM)
Slaughterhouse Five is necessary reading for any human being who has a pulse, but I think any book that could be assigned reading in school is no longer in "cult" territory.

When I teach it, we're in CULT territory!!!! yes.gif laugh.gif

In fact I've been preparing my lesson plans to open in two weeks and I had to re-visit this thread for some good ideas!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Hare biggrin.gif