The Worst of Rush

darth by tor

I'm afraid there certainly are bad Rush songs, and the ratio of good to bad seems to decrease very time they put out a new album.

My own list of absolute howlers would include Freeze, Red Sector A, Dog Years, Virtuality, How It Is, Nobody's Hero, Cygnus X-1. Less shocking, but still pretty bad would include, but not be limited to Jacob's Ladder, Driven, Witch Hunt, to name but a few.

Actually I don't really like anything off Roll The Bones or Counterparts. Does Feedback count? Nice songs, terrible versions.

The thing is that this a totally subjective matter. Taking the tracks you listed and comparing them with the opinions on this board, we find that Nobody's Hero comes in as the 4th most popular track on Counterparts, Jacob's Ladder is the 3rd most popular on Permamnent Waves, Cygnus X-1 (which, elswewhere, you have been most vocal in expressing your abhorrence of) is the 2nd most popular off A Farewell to Kings and Red Sector A is the most popular on Grace Under Pressure. In addition, Roll the Bones and Counterparts come in at 8th = in the most popular studio album poll.

Now, I know this won't affect your opinion of these tracks and albums, nor should they. However, it goes to show that they aren't universally condemned and that diversity in the norm when it comes to Rush

Cygnus X-1 is my favourite song.

My list is:

Think I'm Going Bald

Chemistery

Tai Shan

War Paint

Red Tide

Hand Over Fist

You Bet Your Life

The Speed Of Love

Everyday Glory

Half The World

Out Of The Cradle

SHABAM!!!! cat.gif

Feel free to disagree

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 04:19 PM)
The thing is that this a totally subjective matter. Taking the tracks you listed and comparing them with the opinions on this board, we find that Nobody's Hero comes in as the 4th most popular track on Counterparts, Jacob's Ladder is the 3rd most popular on Permamnent Waves, Cygnus X-1 (which, elswewhere, you have been most vocal in expressing your abhorrence of) is the 2nd most popular off A Farewell to Kings and Red Sector A is the most popular on Grace Under Pressure.

I understand your point, but I'm one who believes in a notion of 'good taste'. I don't think it's a meaningless term, I do think that good and bad taste exist, not just 'different taste'.

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 30 2005, 11:09 PM)
The thing is that this a totally subjective matter.  Taking the tracks you listed and comparing them with the opinions on this board, we find that Nobody's Hero comes in as the 4th most popular track on Counterparts, Jacob's Ladder is the 3rd most popular on Permamnent Waves, Cygnus X-1 (which, elswewhere, you have been most vocal in expressing your abhorrence of) is the 2nd most popular off A Farewell to Kings and Red Sector A is the most popular on Grace Under Pressure.

I understand your point, but I'm one who believes in a notion of 'good taste'. I don't think it's a meaningless term, I do think that good and bad taste exist, not just 'different taste'.

But who are you to decide what is good taste and what is bad taste?

Quite frankly, I find your statement to astoundingly arrogant and incredibly offensive.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 30 2005, 11:09 PM)
The thing is that this a totally subjective matter.  Taking the tracks you listed and comparing them with the opinions on this board, we find that Nobody's Hero comes in as the 4th most popular track on Counterparts, Jacob's Ladder is the 3rd most popular on Permamnent Waves, Cygnus X-1 (which, elswewhere, you have been most vocal in expressing your abhorrence of) is the 2nd most popular off A Farewell to Kings and Red Sector A is the most popular on Grace Under Pressure.

Quite frankly, I find your statement to astoundingly arrogant and incredibly offensive.

Me too.

There can be no such thing as a universal element of bad taste.

Every person has a different opinion of "good" taste. When quizzing the majority of the public I am sure you will find they do not believe Rush to be of "good" taste. I am also sure that you will find general public taste has changed since Rush were first around (I am coming to my point soon schla03.gif lol.) Because of this we have no way to define, discover or prove what this "good" taste is, so talking about it would be next to meaningless.

All we can talk about is what we believe to be good or bad in our own tastes.

So in all respects say it is shit if you want however you have to remember that other people think different yes.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 06:30 PM)

Oh please. biggrin.gif

You must surely maintain some notion of good taste and bad taste. There must be something you consider to be in poor taste, you must have some idea of something approaching good and bad taste with respect to music, or art in general.

You must surely understand that there's a sense in which a preference of (say) a recording of a tramp vomiting into a metal dustbin over (perhaps) Moving Pictures suggests poor taste. Or perhaps you think that's 'arrogant'.

Have you never heard of modern Art? Some pieces similar to what you describedare very highly regarded.

Open your mind mate. Other people consider things differently to you. People change their opinions as well. Taste is not a constant thing. One minute prog was on top of the world and the next punk rock took it all down. Don't you see Yes, Floyd and Rush were good taste but then were bad and vice versa with Punk.

Kindly shut yer yap. 19.gif

I think its you that have missed the point that I was trying to make ot maybe you've got your head so far up your arse and you're so blionded by the contents of your own naval that you don't wish to understand.

YES I beleive that there is such things as good taste and bad taste, everyone in the world does and if they say they don't then they are a liar. HOWEVER I am not arrogant or delusional enough to feel that my notions of good taste in any way, shape or forms superceeds what another may think is good taste.

The point of my response to your post of 11:09PM is the inference you made that you are the only person who has good taste and that anyone who disagrees has bad taste.

Furthermore, you comment about a tramp vomiting into a dustbin is so ridiculous that i had to read your post twice to make sure I hadn't got it wrong.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 30 2005, 07:00 PM)
I think its you that have missed the point that I was trying to make ot maybe you've got your head so far up your arse and you're so blionded by the contents of your own naval that you don't wish to understand.

YES I beleive that there is such things as good taste and bad taste, everyone in the world does and if they say they don't then they are a liar. HOWEVER I am not arrogant or delusional enough to feel that my notions of good taste in any way, shape or forms superceeds what another may think is good taste.

The point of my response to your post of 11:09PM is the inference you made that you are the only person who has good taste and that anyone who disagrees has bad taste.

Furthermore, you comment about a tramp vomiting into a dustbin is so ridiculous that i had to read your post twice to make sure I hadn't got it wrong.

With all due respect (and I use the phrase carefully, lol) - it is you who need to remove your head from your rectum, metaphorically speaking of course; or perhaps you enjoy breakfast so much that you like to experience it twice.

Some things really are in poor taste; the dustbin scenario was drawn in the hope that an extreme hypothesis would help you to understand my point, but perhaps I was a little ambitious there.

Of course what's in poor taste is a matter of opinion; nonetheless I don't feel inhibited in expressing one - and if you look around, you'll find that statements suggesting that particular albums or songs are 'good' or 'bad' are not uncommon. There's really not a lot of point in whining about it here.

And remember - arrogance is subjective as well, and I don't personally give a toss what you personally find arrogant rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Uncle @ Jan 30 2005, 06:59 PM)
Have you never heard of modern Art? Some pieces similar to what you described are very highly regarded.

Yes, and I find that to be in poor taste, on the whole. Hope I haven't upset you too much there biggrin.gif

And remember - arrogance is subjective as well, and I don't personally give a toss what you personally find arrogant 

Yeah bloody hilarious.

In my honest opinion you are a t**t rofl3.gif

Edited by Uncle

no seriously not upset

but my point is that you may find it in poor taste but many others do not??

even going by your theory how can we verify that your taste is the definition of good taste?

QUOTE (Uncle @ Jan 30 2005, 07:15 PM)
Did you get the second album too?

Man that Catn avec Sandpaper Sonata really leves an impresion doesn't it? biggrin.gif

Oh yeah. Had to have the 2nd one. I've got a live bootleg version too cool.gif

QUOTE (Uncle @ Jan 30 2005, 07:27 PM)
no seriously not upset

but my point is that you may find it in poor taste but many others do not??

even going by your theory how can we verify that your taste is the definition of good taste?

Did I suggest that it was a universal definition?

I didn't start this thread, Uncle. I simply contributed to it in the spirit in which it was conceived.

Fair enough but since you admitted it then it is meaningless to talk of any piece of art to be bad taste.

If you don't like it thats fine but don't condem it as bad.

QUOTE (Uncle @ Jan 31 2005, 04:05 PM)
Fair enough but since you admitted it then it is meaningless to talk of any piece of art to be bad taste.

confused13.gif

There ya go... in a nutshell.

QUOTE (Uncle @ Jan 31 2005, 04:05 PM)

I'm sorry, there really are such things as 'good' and 'bad' in art, certainly including music. We may not always agree on specific instances, granted.

You know I think even you would admit, were you unfortunate enough to hear them, that the acoustic demos of my own songs I recorded as a teenager onto a cassette, are, in something approaching an absolute sense, really quite 'bad'. I think you'd agree that (say) Dark Side Of The Moon or Signals show stronger songwriting, more accomplished instrumental performances, certainly more competent production and engineering. I think you might even, if pushed, concede that those two albums are actually, dare I say it, 'better' than my old tape of half-arsed acoustic performances was, before I threw it away.

But if that's too controversial, and you can't agree that Rush make 'good' music, somewhat 'better' than my own recordings all those years ago, think of a 'good' song like this - one that's more likely to appeal more strongly to a 'general', not individual, notion of good taste.

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 30 2005, 07:25 PM)

Yes, and I find that to be in poor taste, on the whole. Hope I haven't upset you too much there biggrin.gif

I, for one, find the tone and malicous intent reflected in your posts (in general) to be in extremely POOR TASTE...

But, that is just my opinion.......

upyours.gif

Look mate! your going round in circles.

Either you think there is an absolute form of good taste or you don't please decide.

You keep contradicting yourself.