NHL Labor Talks Break Down

neilpeart_gal

QUOTE (ChefEllwood @ Feb 20 2005, 11:28 AM)
I'm very disappointed. The backlash in the North American media has started already. It's all about greed, ( I mean both owners, and players).
Hockey used to be played by talented players who grew up loving, and caring for the game.
I hope Bettman, Goodenow, and a whole load of players realize the damage they've done, 'cause there's going to be a sh*t-load of people looking for work. sad.gif

Well said Chef. I, too, thought hockey players were different from other athletes. Alas, 'tis not so. They're just like the rest and so are the owners. mad.gif What these idiots don't seem to be realizing, is that the NHL quite possibly may never recover.

Its interesting.... while a lot of Canadian fans are up in arms about our beloved sport being over, It just doesn't matter to me. And don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of my Vancouver Canucks ever since I was 2 years old.... but I could see this coming. There are a lot of opinions on who's right on this issue, but my personal opinion is that until Bettman is gone, a satisfactory deal will never be made. This whole thing has just turned into a press debacle where each side is trying to score points with the media to look better in comparison.

What have I done to combat the loss of hockey? Become a major NFL fan. I was always a fan of American football but during the lockout I had enough time to watch all 17 weeks + playoffs of the NFL, and I have now become a major fan of the game. I'm not even sure I'll come back to hockey when it returns smile.gif

NHL, NHLPA to meet Thursday

TSN.ca Staff

3/15/2005

It looks as though the NHL and NHL Players' Association will return to the bargaining table on Thursday.

Sources say that is the day the two sides are expected to resume negotiations. The location of the meeting is being kept secret, although there are strong suspicions it will take place in New York City.

The two sides met for 90 minutes on Friday in Toronto.

The NHLPA was represented in Friday's meeting by Goodenow, senior director Ted Saskin, associate counsel Ian Pulver and outside counsel John McCambridge. Bettman headed up the league side along with Bill Daly, senior vice-president and general counsel David Zimmerman and outside counsel Bob Batterman.

The NHL is hoping to get a deal done in time to save the entry draft slated for Ottawa in June, when it could welcome phenom Sidney Crosby into its fold with the first overall pick. It would also give the league a chance to re-launch itself with new rules meant to open up the game and an aggressive marketing campaign to try and lure back disenchanted hockey fans.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=118473

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 15 2005, 10:37 PM)
... to re-launch itself with new rules meant to open up the game and an aggressive marketing campaign to try and lure back disenchanted hockey fans.

New rules? What are the new rules? Surely not line icing....??? confused13.gif or crap like that. We got rid of line icing over here as it was terribly boring.

Anyone enlighten me? Pleeeeeeeeeease biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Draconator @ Mar 16 2005, 11:07 AM)
I think what was talked about was eliminating the center line (2 line passes) and the touch-up icing rule.

That and widening up the blue lines I believe in order to try to open up play.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the blue ice looks cool for the Sabres. Now they just need to change to logo back to the old Blue and Gold one.

Archived