Official The Mars Volta thread

There are various threads relating to these amazing fellows, so I thought maybe we could start an official thread and keep it going.

Fave song at this point is - Ouroborous

Let discussion commence!!

That is a great song, Bedlam is pretty bizarre, but great when you have you listened a few times it rocks hard!!

I've been a fan since the first album. I think the first two are my favorites, but Bedlam is pretty great too. Amputechture was a little weaker than the others, but it's got some great material also. They're one of those bands in the same category for me as Rush, Radiohead, NIN, and Arcade Fire, where I'll buy absolutely anything they put out on release day even if I haven't heard it/read any reviews. LOVE them.

Still have yet to see them live, unfortunately.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 17 2008, 09:41 PM)
I've been a fan since the first album. I think the first two are my favorites, but Bedlam is pretty great too. Amputechture was a little weaker than the others, but it's got some great material also. I'll buy absolutely anything they put out on release day even if I haven't heard it/read any reviews. LOVE them.

My thoughts exactly.

The only difference you and I have, PK, is that your favorite is De-Loused and mine is Frances.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 17 2008, 08:41 PM)
I've been a fan since the first album. I think the first two are my favorites, but Bedlam is pretty great too. Amputechture was a little weaker than the others, but it's got some great material also. They're one of those bands in the same category for me as Rush, Radiohead, NIN, and Arcade Fire, where I'll buy absolutely anything they put out on release day even if I haven't heard it/read any reviews. LOVE them.

Wow I agree exactly with Puppetking on this one, it's not quite a first but it's close...

wink.gif

Hey, you know what, Protest the Hero sort of remind me of The Mars Volta albeit with a more metallic approach...

Awesome and pretty unique band. One of my top 10 favorites for sure! Songs on the new album like "Oroborous", "Goliath" and "Cavalettas" are just brilliant as is most the material on their previous albums. Would kill to see these guys collaborate and/or tour with Tool 1022.gif

I think some of the effects Cedric uses on the vocals are a bit OTT on Bedlam, but other than that I think it's a great album smile.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 19 2008, 10:07 AM)

I cannot get into this band.  I just bought Francis the Mute and it just doesn't work for me. 

I've heard Deloused twice now and I can't get into them at all. Musically I thought it had a lot of great stuff going on, but vocally it just killed it for me. I also some them on tv once on the Henry Rollins show. They had tons of energy and musically it was VERY EXCITING, but once the lead singer started singing, I could only handle about 30 more seconds and I just had to turn it off.

Then again, I have a hard time with most modern bands...

real good drummer , some of the stuff i have heard was not for me but i will keep listening

1022.gif

I've been kinda getting into these guys the last few months. I have Frances and Deloused. They're a band like Tool where it works best for me to listen to the whole album, not just a few songs. I'm glad concept albums haven't entirely died out. Weird, but cool weird.

Great band that has yet to release a bad album. Amputechture was mediocre, but not bad. It's hard for me to pick a number one album. Either De-Loused or Bedlam really stand out as favorites. Saw them last year at the House of Blues in Cleveland and they put on an excellent show. I really dug how they went about performing. They'd start off a song, always recognizable, then they'd really expose their progressive elements by delving into a ten or fifteen minute jam session before coming back and finishing off the last few minutes of the song. The show could have been better as it was originally scheduled for The Agora. A smaller, more underground club in Cleveland would have made it a much better experience. Unfortunately several jackasses in the front row continued moshing even after several warnings from Cedric to stop, so they ended the show early. Regardless, they still played for a little over two hours. They put on a real intense and energetic show. I'd definitely see them again.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ May 27 2009, 03:35 PM)
Great band that has yet to release a bad album. Amputechture was mediocre, but not bad. It's hard for me to pick a number one album. Either De-Loused or Bedlam really stand out as favorites. Saw them last year at the House of Blues in Cleveland and they put on an excellent show. I really dug how they went about performing. They'd start off a song, always recognizable, then they'd really expose their progressive elements by delving into a ten or fifteen minute jam session before coming back and finishing off the last few minutes of the song. The show could have been better as it was originally scheduled for The Agora. A smaller, more underground club in Cleveland would have made it a much better experience. Unfortunately several jackasses in the front row continued moshing even after several warnings from Cedric to stop, so they ended the show early. Regardless, they still played for a little over two hours. They put on a real intense and energetic show. I'd definitely see them again.

goodpost.gif

They were great live. Unfortunately there were some assholes in attendance at the show i saw too and we did not get a encore either.

Archived