Easiest Rush song on bass

hektur

I understand that ever the easier Rush songs are probably somewhat tough becuse of Ged's talent but I'd like to learn some rush on the bass. As a begginer, if a put some time and effort into it what would be the easiest/s songs by Rush to learn?

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Apr 9 2008, 07:57 PM)
first off, this is the wrong section, this should be in "Making Modern Music" biggrin.gif

Try Hope or Tears, they are really easy on bass biggrin.gif

for real though, Superconductor is pretty easy i think, Far Cry isn't hard.

Oh, sorry, if mods see this thread then please move it on over to that forum.

I learned hope on bass today, took a few hours but I think I got the first 20 or so secondes down pat. I'll try tears tommorow. Hah.

I think I might look into Far Cry over Superconductor.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Distant Early Warning is really easy (for a rush song). In The End is too, but its boring to play, kind of. Tom Sawyer isn't that hard, and neither is Cygnus X-1 part one, and if you do manage to learn Cygnus as a beginner, i think you'll feel a pretty good sense of accomplishment smile.gif

A Passage to Bangkok is very easy.

The main riff goes something like

|---------------------------------------------|

|------2------0-----2------------------------|

|-----------------------2----222--3-2-3----|

|-00-----0------0-------------------------3-|

The rest isn't all that hard.

The Pass isn't hard either as someone mentioned.

The first song I ever learned isn't a rush song, but I'll suggest it anyway. It would be Killing in the Name by RATM. It isn't dry and boring,is still kinna fun to play, and is very easy. its got a few basic parts to it that just repeat.

Drop D Tuning

Into (triplets)

|-----------------

|-----------------

|---------6-6-6-

|-0-0-0---------

Main riff

|--------------------------------

|---------3h4------------------

|---3h5---------5--------------

|-0------------------2h3p2-0-

variation in second verse

|-----------------------------------------10-

|-----------------------------10-11-12-----

|----3h5--8h9-10-11-12------------------

|-0-------------------------------------------

"Now you do what the told ya"

|------------

|------------

|--5-5-R-5-

|------------

The other part goes

|----------------------

|-----------------------

|-5-5-R-5-R-5-----3-

|----------------3-5---

Really easy song to play. Its not Rush, but a fun bass line to learn on none the less. Funny how the Guitar hero version is harder than the real thing...

I'm always surprised by how many people constantly fail to mention this one when a thread like thsi comes up:

Making Memories. Half of the song doesn't even have any bass and once it does finally kick in its pretty much just 2 riffs plus a simple fill repeated over and over throughout.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Apr 9 2008, 08:45 PM)
Tom Sawyer except the bass riff during the guitar solo.

That's a good song to learn and that bass riff is a great exercise for your hands.Tom Sawyer was one of the first songs I'd learned and and still play every now and then---

Edit: another one that I remember from when I'd started playing is Different Strings is easy ...and that song will give you that sense of rhythm for slow songs it'll be good if you can find the Sheet music to the song is also easy for begin reading music...

Edited by ElPatron

Distant Early Warning is a good song to learn if you're a beginner. It's relatively easy because there are no fast runs and there are not a lot of different parts to remember.

Vital Signs is not difficult for the same reasons. Playing that main bass riff over and over will help build your chops. I love playing that bass solo at the end. You can really put feeling into it.

Even if you can't play a whole song because of fast runs you can still play bits and pieces. The goal is to build your chops so you can then eventually try the harder stuff.