Gas prices are killing me !

Tick

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1.15/litre in Northwest Territories.

I found Alberta had the cheapest gas at $1.06/l in some places.

On average it costs $75 to top up my Mazda. I will get 600-650km on a tank (350-400mi).

Who out there uses oil heat in their homes? Heating oil prices have risen just like gasoline has. I have a 200 gallon tank in my basement, and during the winter it needs to be filled about once every two months. It used to cost about $300 to fill it. Last week's fill-up cost almost $700. The previous one in January cost $590.

And you never know when your tank is going to be filled -- they fill it when they think you need it -- so seeing those bills in the mailbox is always a nice surprise.

And natural gas heat has gone way up, too. Those customers are also getting slammed with exorbitantly high heating bills.

Think about the older people on fixed incomes who have to heat their homes in the winter. How are they affording to live when energy prices have more than doubled? How do they cope with a $700 heating oil bill that was half that only a couple of years ago?

The cheaper way: bicycle.

Any trip of at most 15 km (not sure what that is in miles) EACH way is viable, assuming you have decent weather, for any semi-fit, able-bodied person. And if your commute is too great then how about splitting it between car and bike? Assuming enough vehicle space, bring your bike along, drive part way, park somewhere presumably cheaper than your destination, and finish your commute on two wheels.

The savings of biking on occasion might not be very noticeable at first, but it'll add up.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Apr 8 2008, 03:50 PM)
The cheaper way: bicycle.

Any trip of at most 15 km (not sure what that is in miles) EACH way is viable, assuming you have decent weather, for any semi-fit, able-bodied person. And if your commute is too great then how about splitting it between car and bike? Assuming enough vehicle space, bring your bike along, drive part way, park somewhere presumably cheaper than your destination, and finish your commute on two wheels.

The savings of biking on occasion might not be very noticeable at first, but it'll add up.

That's a nice thought but I use my car in my job and do about 1200 miles a month. I couldn't cycle that kind of mileage. laugh.gif

What kills me is that they raise the gas price's 1 day & 2 day's later they start lowering it again I think they like to play with our $$ keep this up & we won't have any $$ for anything sad.gif Last week I had less than 1/4 tank & I threw in $30.(@ $4.39 a gal.) that didn't even give me a full tank sad.gif I just don't travel around like I used to & I miss that yes.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2008, 10:43 AM)
Who out there uses oil heat in their homes? Heating oil prices have risen just like gasoline has. I have a 200 gallon tank in my basement, and during the winter it needs to be filled about once every two months. It used to cost about $300 to fill it. Last week's fill-up cost almost $700. The previous one in January cost $590.

And you never know when your tank is going to be filled -- they fill it when they think you need it -- so seeing those bills in the mailbox is always a nice surprise.

And natural gas heat has gone way up, too. Those customers are also getting slammed with exorbitantly high heating bills.

Think about the older people on fixed incomes who have to heat their homes in the winter. How are they affording to live when energy prices have more than doubled? How do they cope with a $700 heating oil bill that was half that only a couple of years ago?

Oh man 1001, i forgot to mention home heating oil. sad.gif (how the hell did i forget that !) I locked in at 2.59 a gallon this season which sucks ass but i know some people who are paying over 3.00 a gallon because they did not bother to lock in a price.

How or why i stared this thread, i have no idea, its depressing laugh.gif but maybe a little theraputic as well.

With the price of oil this season being what it is, i keep my house at 66 degrees while im home during my waking hours,(which is far colder then i would like it) and 62 degrees at night when we go to bed.(which is actually fine with me) If i had my way the heat would be on 70 while im awake, in the heart of the winter, but its just too expensive to justify that so i always a little less comfortable then i would like to be, but thats life.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2008, 11:43 AM)

We use Natural gas, and that is higher than it used to be.

I can't imagine being in your situation. sad.gif

The difference I found here is that when I was a single Mom, we were hardly ever home. The kids were at a sitters, or at their Dad's house and I was always at work. I use a programmed thermostat and it would drop during the day for 9 hours and heat up the house right before we got home, then drop again at night. Now, there is almost always someone home and the few hours during the day that no one is doesn't have a dramatic affect on the heating bill. (except when they crank it up instead of layering up)

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 8 2008, 12:00 PM)

Oh man 1001, i forgot to mention home heating oil. sad.gif (how the hell did i forget that !) I locked in at 2.59 a gallon this season which sucks ass but i know some people who are paying over 3.00 a gallon because they did not bother to lock in a price.

How or why i stared this thread, i have no idea, its depressing laugh.gif but maybe a little theraputic as well.

With the price of oil this season being what it is, i keep my house at 66 degrees while im home during my waking hours,(which is far colder then i would like it) and 62 degrees at night when we go to bed.(which is actually fine with me) If i had my way the heat would be on 70 while im awake, in the heart of the winter, but its just too expensive to justify that so i always a little less comfortable then i would like to be, but thats life.

$3.59/gallon last week. angry.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2008, 11:03 AM)

So, i guess you did not lock in ? unsure.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 8 2008, 12:07 PM)

I didn't know you COULD lock it in. sad.gif

It is getting ridiculous, I've put $250 US of gas in my truck in the last week. I drive a minimum of 75 miles per day. It's a 37 gal tank & gets about 9-10 mpg. Luckily Sunny usually drives it to work but this last week was a different story. I used to drive it everyday. I looked through my bank statements and realized I was spending almost $600 a month just on gas. Sunny & I switched vehicles and now I spend about $250-$300 a month on gas. I don't public transportation options or bike riding either as I use my car for work also.

We're all in the same boat.

Look on the bright side it could be worse.

Gal of milk: $4.50

Gal of coffee creamer: $13.56

Gal of beer: $15.90 (assuming a 12 pack is $18 after taxes)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 8 2008, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 8 2008, 12:07 PM)

I didn't know you COULD lock it in. sad.gif

The deal i was offered was 2.59 for the season and the price can not go higher, or 2.69 a gallon but if the price goes lower so will your price. I thought to myself, do you think people are idiots ? there is no way in hell its ever gonna go lower, so obviously i went with 2.59 a gallon. I actually know someone who locked in earlier then me at 2.39.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 8 2008, 12:09 PM)
It is getting ridiculous, I've put $250 US of gas in my truck in the last week. I drive a minimum of 75 miles per day.  It's a 37 gal tank & gets about 9-10 mpg.  Luckily Sunny usually drives it to work but this last week was a different story. I used to drive it everyday.  I looked through my bank statements and realized I was spending almost $600 a month just on gas. Sunny & I switched vehicles and now I spend about $250-$300 a month on gas.  I don't public transportation options or bike riding either as I use my car for work also.

We're all in the same boat.

Look on the bright side it could be worse.

Gal of milk:  $4.50

Gal of coffee creamer:  $13.56

Gal of beer: $15.90 (assuming a 12 pack is $18 after taxes)

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

ohmy.gif

Some more comments:

I wish I could take pub. transportation...but I have to drive into town to take the bus into the city doh.gif

And bicycle? In the Northeast? Good maybe 6 months of the year...and 15 miles each way is a lot for me. Maybe I could do so in the south where it's warm most months of the year.

Home heating fuel is outrageous. Not sure if my parents locked in a price, but they are self-employed, barely making ends meet...I literally think they are using their savings for effing OIL.

Diesel gas is super expensive, but diesel cars/engines last a lot longer than gas vehicles. They hold their value too, especially diesel trucks.

Finally, my boyfriend has sorta gotten around this whole mess by converting his diesel into a "veggie" truck. He gets free cooking grease from some peeps he knows who run a restaurant. He installed the veggie burner in his truck for maybe $3K? But, he drives for FREE, so it can pay for itself. Once in a while, he needs to put diesel in because it needs it to run it, but not often really. The only problem with this is it's a pain to actually make your own fuel out of it, transport it for long trips, etc. But, he is a farmer/contractor so he's used to working with his hands and it's not an issue for him. Another added bonus: Better for the environment too.

WAIT, ranton.gif one more comment: Has anyone else's fuel mileage gone DOWN ever since all gas now has a little ethanol in it? I started seeing 10% ethonol signs on the pumps and noticed a significant decrease in my mileage. It's not my car, I had it tuned up, filters changed and everything, and it's a 2005. I used to get 32 city/38 highway before this and now I get like 25 city/32 highway which SUCKS. They say ethanol gas is better for the environment, but how can it be if we need to fill up more often (i.e. burning more fuel) because we need to fill up more often?? rantoff.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 8 2008, 11:09 AM)

Gal of milk: $4.50

I guess its a good thing i dont drive a Cow ! ohmy.gif

doh.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Apr 8 2008, 12:05 PM)
$3.70 over here. but i can afford it yes.gif

What can anyone say davey, your just the man. old.gif poker1.gif notworthy.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Apr 8 2008, 12:05 PM)
$3.70 over here. but i can afford it yes.gif

How nice for you!