The Radiohead thread

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 24 2008, 09:44 AM)
Yes. I like the songs on In Rainbows better than OK Computer. Better melodies, better riffs...they're just better.

OK Computer is like Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. You keep hearing about how brilliant they are and when you listen to them you realize each respective band has released more "enjoyable" music. That's why I like In Rainbows and Revolver better.

So I do like OK better, but I agree about Revolver though.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far from it. There's been a few similarities, they usually open with "All I Need" and close with "House of Cards," but so far they've played about 45-50 different songs. And they supposedly have 70 rehearsed. I'm pumped for August 20.

There are already several great-sounding boots up on Dime from the May leg. I'm downloading Bristow, St. Louis, and Dallas. From the sample clips they posted, the band sounds amazing as usual. I hope people are still making consistently top-notch recordings like this when August rolls around.

For anyone who wants to hear it, here's a two-part Megaupload link to a FLAC version of a really top-notch 3-source audience matrix recording of the Dallas show from the May leg of the tour. Incredibly clear sound, and the band is terrific as always.

Disc 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=51YNHACK

Disc 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B384EPDS

Setlist:

All I Need

There There

15 Step

Bangers + Mash

Nude

Pyramid Song

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

The National Anthem

Dollars and Cents

Faust Arp

Videotape

A Wolf at the Door

Optimistic

Reckoner

Everything in its Right Place

Idioteque

Bodysnatchers

Fake Plastic Trees

Jigsaw Falling Into Place

House of Cards

Exit Music (For a Film)

The Bends

You and Whose Army?

Paranoid Android

Highly recommended.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 29 2008, 06:20 PM)
For anyone who wants to hear it, here's a two-part Megaupload link to a FLAC version of a really top-notch 3-source audience matrix recording of the Dallas show from the May leg of the tour. Incredibly clear sound, and the band is terrific as always.

Disc 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=51YNHACK
Disc 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B384EPDS

Setlist:
All I Need
There There
15 Step
Bangers + Mash
Nude
Pyramid Song
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
The National Anthem
Dollars and Cents
Faust Arp
Videotape
A Wolf at the Door
Optimistic
Reckoner
Everything in its Right Place
Idioteque
Bodysnatchers
Fake Plastic Trees
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
House of Cards
Exit Music (For a Film)
The Bends
You and Whose Army?
Paranoid Android

Highly recommended.

Thanks puppet!! Way cool! gives me something to listen to at work tonight trink39.gif

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Jun 14 2008, 05:37 PM)
http://radiohead.com/deadairspace/

cool vid on their homepage, covering Portishead's Rip

I'm just starting to get into Radiohead, I don't have any CD's but i'd like to get some of their music, they sound like a cool band

Start with The Bends and go chronologically from there. That's the only way to do it. Their first album isn't very good.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 14 2008, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Jun 14 2008, 05:37 PM)
http://radiohead.com/deadairspace/

cool vid on their homepage, covering Portishead's Rip

I'm just starting to get into Radiohead, I don't have any CD's but i'd like to get some of their music, they sound like a cool band

Start with The Bends and go chronologically from there. That's the only way to do it. Their first album isn't very good.

"Creep", "Vegetable", "Prove Yourself", and "I Can't" are worthy songs. I tend to cherry-pick even off The Bends too.

They were an entirely different band when they made OK Computer than they were before.

Yeah, but The Bends is still consistent and accessible enough to be the best place to start. I mean, if you want to start with Pablo Honey then by all means knock yourself out, but bear in mind that it's a 3/5 at best and everything they've put out since is straight-up indisputable 5/5 A+ 10/10 best-of-all-time level of stuff.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 14 2008, 09:28 PM)
Yeah, but The Bends is still consistent and accessible enough to be the best place to start. I mean, if you want to start with Pablo Honey then by all means knock yourself out, but bear in mind that it's a 3/5 at best and everything they've put out since is straight-up indisputable 5/5 A+ 10/10 best-of-all-time level of stuff.

I wouldn't rank The Bends that much higher than Pablo Honey, honestly. Pablo is probably a 4 out of 10, The Bends might be 6 or 7.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 14 2008, 11:07 PM)
You're clearly in the minority on that one.

Yes, but just saying, the point's not entirely indisputable.

I thought it was crazy when I was talking to someone I know about Radiohead and they said they didn't think much of In Rainbows.

I'll suggest the Bends as well. Generally the album receives superb reviews (5's on nearly all of the Wiki links and amazon) and also I usually like starting into a band with their "breakthrough" album; and this is it.

Fake Plastic Trees and My Iron Lung are two good introductory downloads if you're curious

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 15 2008, 11:03 PM)
That song is unbelievably gorgeous. Maybe Thom's single greatest vocal performance ever.

I wasn't slamming it either, just thought it was funny..........