The Radiohead thread

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. That is actually a really, really good best-of album. I'm not a big fan of greatest hits collections, but I've gotta say that's pretty impressive, though if EMI had access to In Rainbows, they could replace about half of that early stuff with newer, better material. Even still, I'm impressed.

Pleasantly surprised to see virtually all of my favorite 1993-2003 Radiohead songs on there..."Let Down", "Fake Plastic Trees", "How to Disappear Completely", "There There", "Idioteque", "I Might Be Wrong", "No Surprises"...sorry not to see "Optimistic" but that's the only conspicuous absence to me.

And in something ridiculous that basically only Radiohead would do, they've actually started their own social-networking site. A lot of bands make MySpace or Facebook pages, but they've made their own SITE for their fans. There's not much on it yet because they just launched it today, but it's going to be totally cool once it gets more stuff.

www.waste-central.com

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 4 2008, 10:16 PM)
And in something ridiculous that basically only Radiohead would do, they've actually started their own social-networking site. A lot of bands make MySpace or Facebook pages, but they've made their own SITE for their fans. There's not much on it yet because they just launched it today, but it's going to be totally cool once it gets more stuff.

www.waste-central.com

That's cool.

Here's mine if anyone wants to add me as a friend:

http://www.waste-central.com/profile/JamesU

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Apr 4 2008, 09:49 PM)
Meh, I don't think ANY greatest hits album can do Radiohead justice. That and there's 3 songs from Amnesiac, which is way too many. tongue.gif

Well of course, the best course of action is simply to purchase OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows, then follow those up with The Bends and Amnesiac, then get I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings and Hail to the Thief. Then maybe Pablo Honey and the EPs.

Amnesiac feels rushed. I like "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box", "Life in a Glass House", and "Pyramid Song", love "I Might Be Wrong", occasionally fancy "Hunting Bears" and "Like Spinning Plates", and am indifferent to the rest of the album. I have a friend who loves the whole album, but it feels like a mixed bag of hastily rearranged leftovers from Kid A to me.

Not coming on here to cause trouble, I just wanna state my opinion.

Until I started coming here I always considered Radiohead to be pretty much exactly the same as Coldplay, depressing and uninteresting guitar based Pop. I was quite surprised when everyone here was talking about them so I gave them a proper listen and it was my own believes that was confirmed, I was bored almost to tears by them and thought best if I just didn't bother anymore.

Well last night they played on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross over here in the U.K. they did two tracks of their new album (In Rainbows?). Once again I was so bored by them, I was just sitting waiting for them to go off, I was actually glad the second song was cut short by the credits. I have no problem with anyone here loving this band - and I know there's quite a few of you - but personally I just don't get it.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 5 2008, 08:41 AM)

Until I started coming here I always considered Radiohead to be pretty much exactly the same as Coldplay, depressing and uninteresting guitar based Pop. I was quite surprised when everyone here was talking about them so I gave them a proper listen and it was my own believes that was confirmed, I was bored almost to tears by them and thought best if I just didn't bother anymore.

Well last night they played on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross over here in the U.K. they did two tracks of their new album (In Rainbows?). Once again I was so bored by them, I was just sitting waiting for them to go off, I was actually glad the second song was cut short by the credits. I have no problem with anyone here loving this band - and I know there's quite a few of you - but personally I just don't get it.

I totally understand this (but not when it comes to Radiohead laugh.gif ). There are plenty of bands out there I don't get. Dream Theater, for instance, I acknowledge they are good at what they do, but I just don't get it. Try as I might, I personally can't find anything in their music that their fans worship and love. I guess my brain is not wired that way. They bore the hell out of me.

As for Radiohead, you obviously gave them a shot, you don't like them. No big deal. trink39.gif

Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 5 2008, 05:41 AM)

If you haven't heard Kid A, you really should. Kid A sounds exactly nothing like Coldplay.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 5 2008, 07:41 AM)

Me too man........other than OK Computer...........they bore me to death........

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 5 2008, 09:12 PM)

If you haven't heard Kid A, you really should. Kid A sounds exactly nothing like Coldplay.

I haven't actually. The ones I've heard are The Bends and O.K. Computer plus the few songs from In Rainbows that were on TV last night. What will be an easy song to find from Kid A on YouTube just so I can give it a try? I really don't wanna have to say I don't like them so I'm willing to give them this chance too.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 5 2008, 01:17 PM)

I haven't actually. The ones I've heard are The Bends and O.K. Computer plus the few songs from In Rainbows that were on TV last night. What will be an easy song to find from Kid A on YouTube just so I can give it a try? I really don't wanna have to say I don't like them so I'm willing to give them this chance too.

"Idioteque" probably. Or "The National Anthem".

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 5 2008, 04:17 PM)

Not from Kid A, but the video for Karma Police is a near-perfect visual for the song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Ay699qcSb4

My buddy and I wanna go see Radiohead and take our girlfriends as a concert-double date. So he asked her if she likes Radiohead, she said she'd never heard of 'em.

i gotta say, they make me schla03.gif . i really don't know how so many people like this. so much great music out in the world [old and new] and people like this. my 2 cent's

I have tried as well. This is a band that a lot of us feel we should like. When we don't get it at first it seems like we somehow missed something. Give me three songs that I need to listen to before I give up on this band. I will download them and listen to them several times before going confused13.gif . I really feel I need to give them a proper chance.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 6 2008, 05:52 PM)

I have tried as well. This is a band that a lot of us feel we should like. When we don't get it at first it seems like we somehow missed something. Give me three songs that I need to listen to before I give up on this band. I will download them and listen to them several times before going confused13.gif . I really feel I need to give them a proper chance.

Creep

Karma Police

Reckoner

Just IMO

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 6 2008, 08:52 PM)

This is way too hard, since they're really more of a "full album" band. That being said, I'll pick one song from each album that's worth noting to start with (Nothing really to mention from Pablo Honey and Amnesiac).

The Bends - Fake Plastic Trees

OK Computer - Karma Police

Kid A - The National Anthem

Hail to the Thief - There There

In Rainbows - Reckoner

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 5 2008, 12:41 PM)

Radiohead are a great band. I agree a lot of their music is depressing but they are certainly nothing like Coldplay, who are just a softer paler imitation.

You can't have heard the tracks Just, The Bends or Paranoid Android, certainly not boring, they are razor sharp.

You do it to yourself, you do

And that's what really hurts

Is that you do it to yourself

Just you and no-one else

You do it to yourself

You do it to yourself

heart.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You're so f***ing special

I wish I was special

But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo

What the hell am I doing here?

wub.gif

and they have the coolest videos

QUOTE (Huck @ Apr 8 2008, 01:56 PM)

Radiohead are a great band. I agree a lot of their music is depressing but they are certainly nothing like Coldplay, who are just a softer paler imitation.

You can't have heard the tracks Just, The Bends or Paranoid Android, certainly not boring, they are razor sharp.

I know Paranoid Android and I know Just and since The Bends must be off the album of the same name I've at least heard it. I can't explain why I can't get into this band, I dig Porcupine Tree who are just as depressing, if not more so, but with Radiohead it's just not happening. I know a lot of you can't understand it but then again I don't understand how someone can like Kiss but not Dream Theater (No names! laugh.gif )

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Apr 8 2008, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Apr 8 2008, 01:56 PM)

I know Paranoid Android and I know Just and since The Bends must be off the album of the same name I've at least heard it. I can't explain why I can't get into this band, I dig Porcupine Tree who are just as depressing, if not more so, but with Radiohead it's just not happening. I know a lot of you can't understand it but then again I don't understand how someone can like Kiss but not Dream Theater (No names! laugh.gif )

Kiss :shudder:

laugh.gif