Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

Great track. That 5/4 groove Gavin is hammering out is killer. I don't know how much of the album is unused stuff from back in the day and how much is newly recorded material, but that track is the PT we all know.

It’s also amazing how much Richard Barbieri contributes to the overall sound of any PT track…

Thought the opening was a Primus song. lol

This track is a fukking masterpiece. Gavin is a Mortal God. Speaking of Primus I've always been alternating my number 5 drummer all time with Tim Alexander and Gavin.

Jesus, even after seeing Tim nail all the drum parts on A Farewell To Kings, Gavin made my head spin after just one listen.

I've already ordered my vinyl box and my blu box on Burning Shed. CAN'T WAIT! 2022 ALBUM OF THE YEAR. I hope they come back to the USA.

Earl I don't know why but today I see you as a new sidekick for the 70's detective Frank Cannon.

• Like 1

Great track. That 5/4 groove Gavin is hammering out is killer. I don't know how much of the album is unused stuff from back in the day and how much is newly recorded material, but that track is the PT we all know.

It’s also amazing how much Richard Barbieri contributes to the overall sound of any PT track…

Thought the opening was a Primus song. lol

This track is a fukking masterpiece. Gavin is a Mortal God. Speaking of Primus I've always been alternating my number 5 drummer all time with Tim Alexander and Gavin.

Jesus, even after seeing Tim nail all the drum parts on A Farewell To Kings, Gavin made my head spin after just one listen.

I've already ordered my vinyl box and my blu box on Burning Shed. CAN'T WAIT! 2022 ALBUM OF THE YEAR. I hope they come back to the USA.

Earl I don't know why but today I see you as a new sidekick for the 70's detective Frank Cannon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtOO3UZfGxI

Hahahaha! Great theme music. Well this is about as bizarre as the new PT album cover.

John Wesley has confirmed he has had nor will he have any involvement in this album or upcoming tour.

That is a bummer. He was great with them. Surprising too. He opened for Steven on his Hand Cannot Erase Tour (Saw that tour and it as amazing).

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

John Wesley has confirmed he has had nor will he have any involvement in this album or upcoming tour.

That is a bummer. He was great with them. Surprising too. He opened for Steven on his Hand Cannot Erase Tour (Saw that tour and it as amazing).

That is a bummer. He should tour with the band.

He posted on Instagram or Facebook, #ivemovedon

It seems like he wasn't asked to be a part of the band.

That really stinks. He was great with them.

• Like 1

Bands are complicated dynamics because of the personal, artistic, and financial components. SW has been a part of many projects as guest/co-musician, producer, or mixing engineer. He sees music perhaps 'correctly' as an ebb and flow of ideas and players. Being locked into contract with other people must feel constraining, which is why his solo path may have been the best thing for him (and us) post 2010. We got new content instead of frustrated and/or diminished output had he stayed in what was becoming an unpleasant situation for him in Porcupine Tree. You can hear it on their last album, much of the spark from say Deadwing and In Absentia was leaving their sound. Not that The Incident was bad, it was just different in a kind of bland way. I do occasionally listen to the album, there's some solid tracks mixed with a lot of meh.

Point is we got two or three stellar solo albums at a point where we may have received nothing. Got to sample some awesome guest musicians on SW's solo work, several good tours. He could have very well went into quasi retirement and done surround mixes full time. All-in-all as fans I feel we have made out much better post-PT than with other bands who cease or take super long breaks. And now we get a nicely polished B-sides/rarities album and possibly a reunion tour. Really can't expect much more at this stage in everyone's careers.

Edited by stoopid

Bands are complicated dynamics because of the personal, artistic, and financial components. SW has been a part of many projects as guest/co-musician, producer, or mixing engineer. He sees music perhaps 'correctly' as an ebb and flow of ideas and players. Being locked into contract with other people must feel constraining, which is why his solo path may have been the best thing for him (and us) post 2010. We got new content instead of frustrated and/or diminished output had he stayed in what was becoming an unpleasant situation for him in Porcupine Tree. You can hear it on their last album, much of the spark from say Deadwing and In Absentia was leaving their sound. Not that The Incident was bad, it was just different in a kind of bland way. I do occasionally listen to the album, there's some solid tracks mixed with a lot of meh.

Point is we got two or three stellar solo albums at a point where we may have received nothing. Got to sample some awesome guest musicians on SW's solo work, several good tours. He could have very well went into quasi retirement and done surround mixes full time. All-in-all as fans I feel we have made out much better post-PT than with other bands who cease or take super long breaks. And now we get a nicely polished B-sides/rarities album and possibly a reunion tour. Really can't expect much more at this stage in everyone's careers.

In the In Absentia documentary he mentioned something about how he and Barbieri feel they hit their absolute peaks on In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet, and that in some ways spelled the end of Porcupine Tree because they did what they set out to do. It makes sense to me.

But here they go having a reunion :lol: I'm not complaining. Harridan slaps pretty hard.

• Like 2

In the In Absentia documentary he mentioned something about how he and Barbieri feel they hit their absolute peaks on In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet, and that in some ways spelled the end of Porcupine Tree because they did what they set out to do. It makes sense to me.

But here they go having a reunion :lol: I'm not complaining. Harridan slaps pretty hard.

I have no problems with PT getting back together whatever the reasons. Even if it's for the Ca$h.

My Personal Shopper will probably buy the *Deluxe Edition* .