Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

If Porcupine Tree were truly over, Wilson would say it. Of course he's going to talk about his solo work now that he's doing it. I can't just ignore the fact that no one in the band has said the band is over. That's pretty much what convinces someone about a band being finished. Besides, other members of the band have been talking about PT's future direction.

It's possible we won't see PT for another couple of years or so, but you're not convincing me that they're done just because Wilson is talking about how much he enjoys doing what he's doing now.

While PT is more like a band than any other of his projects-it's still HIS project and because the other members are talking about a future doesn't automatically mean there is one! I would wager that apart from Gavin the band is the other guys main source of current income and they would really hope for more PT because of this.

I don't have to convince you of anything. Just read those interviews and it becomes very clear, that while SW doesn't say PT is over, it is. He's bored with it and wants to move in a different direction. Fair play to him, It's his career, his music and while I like it, I like PT a whole lot more. Frankly, I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did and the level of success they achieved.

If Porcupine Tree were truly over, Wilson would say it. Of course he's going to talk about his solo work now that he's doing it. I can't just ignore the fact that no one in the band has said the band is over. That's pretty much what convinces someone about a band being finished. Besides, other members of the band have been talking about PT's future direction.

It's possible we won't see PT for another couple of years or so, but you're not convincing me that they're done just because Wilson is talking about how much he enjoys doing what he's doing now.

While PT is more like a band than any other of his projects-it's still HIS project and because the other members are talking about a future doesn't automatically mean there is one! I would wager that apart from Gavin the band is the other guys main source of current income and they would really hope for more PT because of this.

I don't have to convince you of anything. Just read those interviews and it becomes very clear, that while SW doesn't say PT is over, it is. He's bored with it and wants to move in a different direction. Fair play to him, It's his career, his music and while I like it, I like PT a whole lot more. Frankly, I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did and the level of success they achieved.

That's why No-Man and Bass Communion still have albums coming out........

Can't you see the difference though? He no longer wants the responsibility of being responsible for a band that can't fulfil his ambitions because of the compromise the process involves. Making new music for bass communion, no man and his current project is entirely different to making music for PT. Did you read those interviews, by the way?

It's like a couple where one of them needs some time alone, except what they really mean is they want to be with someone else and the someone else in this case is a different musical direction.

Think about it-why would you take a band like PT to the point of such critical acclaim and success reflected in 2 high profile (and successful) concerts to stop the momentum that had been achieved? Those gigs were the high point and such a fitting conclusion for PT- how could he take them any further?

Accept it, it's much less painful, believe me.

Agree. And I respect Steven for this choice even where I don't always enjoy the direction to the fullest.

I also don't think PT is done. It might be some years, but there will be new PT music down the road. He's just into other things right now, not unlike all of us. For a long while I listen mostly to Rush and then I don't much listen to Rush for maybe 6 or 7 months while I'm headlong (pun intended) into something else. I'm not always in the mood for this one thing. As a creator of music, I suspect it's that but even more magnified since it's your work...your process.

If he had to commit to it being done RIGHT NOW it probably would be, but who knows just how he'll feel in five years? Maybe in the future he meets up with Richard or John and they hang out some and decide off the cuff to do it all again. Maybe just a one off...maybe more. Perhaps it doesn't happen at all. But you can never say never. That much I've learned and seen in the music business. Farewell rarely truly means forever.

I'd be willing to lay down a sizeable wager with no time limit (I'd be a fool to say "in the next couple/few years") on there being a new studio album from Porcupine Tree at some point in the future.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Incidentally, there seems to be camps on this...as if some people feel the need to gloat that it's done or isn't. While I prefer the music of PT to his recent outings, I respect what he does and I admire the musicianship...even where I don't always connect with the songs. I certainly bear no grudges towards PT being put on a shelf, even as a huge fan. Likewise if in 5 years he said he was returning to focus on PT for the foreseeable future, I'd hardly get on with the "stick a fork in his jazz crap" snarky comments. It's gotten to the point where it seems like you have to choose one or the other and I don't see the need for that kind of thing myself. I'm happy he's out there creating music and if some of that means more to me than other projects, so be it.
  • Like 1

Incidentally, there seems to be camps on this...as if some people feel the need to gloat that it's done or isn't. While I prefer the music of PT to his recent outings, I respect what he does and I admire the musicianship...even where I don't always connect with the songs. I certainly bear no grudges towards PT being put on a shelf, even as a huge fan. Likewise if in 5 years he said he was returning to focus on PT for the foreseeable future, I'd hardly get on with the "stick a fork in his jazz crap" snarky comments. It's gotten to the point where it seems like you have to choose one or the other and I don't see the need for that kind of thing myself. I'm happy he's out there creating music and if some of that means more to me than other projects, so be it.

Nailed, enough said :goodone:

I agree. Taking sides is stupid. I want Steven Wilson to make the music that he wants to make. If that means that he'll reform PT next year, Great! If that means that his solo career will remain his main focus forever, Great! If that means that Bass Communion will put out 20 studio albums by the end of the month, Great!

• Like 2

If only I didn't think Wilson's solo stuff was so marginal. The soundscape thing is a real turn off to me. I liked it better when he had feeling in the music he wrote. Now he seems to just be writing old School eclectic Prog. But at least he has many fans who seem to enjoy it. Good for him and them.

It's not a case of gloating- simply making sense of the all the information thats available, including words from the horses mouth to arrive at a conclusion I BELIEVE to be true . Not saying it's the case here but certainly on the PT forum, there was a really strange vibe going on where some were talking as though they were speaking on behalf of Steven Wilson with so much denial about the evidence before their eyes. I would love more PT, I just don't think we're gonna get it. I would love to be proved wrong though!

If only I didn't think Wilson's solo stuff was so marginal. The soundscape thing is a real turn off to me. I liked it better when he had feeling in the music he wrote. Now he seems to just be writing old School eclectic Prog. But at least he has many fans who seem to enjoy it. Good for him and them.

Marginal?

I'd say it was mostly excellent.

Marginal?

I'd say it was mostly excellent.

Yeah, I just can't get into it. I tend to like harder rock any ways and since The Incident, SW has not nothing I would tell my friends about. In fact, the Incident was 3 of 5 stars to me. PT will just be a good memory for me now.
  • Like 1

It can be musically EXCELLENT and still not very compelling. I like music for more than how proficient or competent it is, although I realize that there are those who feel exactly the opposite. I mean, occasionally I'm left wow'd by some display of musicianship just purely based on how complicated or intricate it is or some such thing, but if it doesn't move me...ultimately I'll lose interest in it. And to me things need to be melodic and, to some degree, have a pulse too. Not that everything needs to be uptempo, but I think some songs can be too droning and too ambient at times. It's part of the reason that earliest PT isn't all that interesting to me. I'm not a "get high and listen to the 20 minute piece" kind of guy. I prefer song and structure and rhythm and flow that work in ways that move me. I don't know it til I hear it, but I certainly can recognize when it doesn't.

Songwriting is a tough, tough thing. Even extremely talented people can fall flat on their faces. Musicianship isn't enough. If only....

I'm NOT quoting Gene Simmons here as any kind of qualitative comparison AT ALL, so please don't think that, but he has a quote I've always liked: "Train wrecks are fun, but you can't tap your foot to them." That can apply to any kind of music, of course...and it underscores the idea that while there's no rule to songwriting, there are certain fundamental emotional triggers you look for when listening to a song. That experience, of course, is different for everyone I realize....

Look at Steven's heroes: guys like Robert Fripp, Scott Walker they take 10 years to release new albums, I wouln't be surprised if he wanted to act like them.

I'm ok with that. His solo albums are great, I think people are just attached to the "Porcupine Tree" brand name too much

I'm pretty sure that's not it. If his new stuff was coming out under the PT moniker I wouldn't "magically" be moved by it where I'm not so much now. I'm pretty sure I'd feel exactly the same. I really think people like the music. That can't be a shocking notion.

Of course.

Listen you Porky Tree apes! :madra: There's no chance of a Porky album this year! It's Steven Wilson time now! :nya nya:

And now that he's enlisted Guthrie "THE MAN" Govan on guitar expect to see the Guthmeister take care of guitar duties for PT in future! it's gonna be called PorcGovan Tree from now on! :guitar:

Edited by treeduck

And now that he's enlisted Guthrie "THE MAN" Govan on guitar expect to see the Guthmeister take care of guitar duties for PT in future!

I would certainly hope so. No offense to John Wesley, he's a very fine guitarist and an awesome singer, but he always screwed up the solos.

And now that he's enlisted Guthrie "THE MAN" Govan on guitar expect to see the Guthmeister take care of guitar duties for PT in future!

I would certainly hope so. No offense to John Wesley, he's a very fine guitarist and an awesome singer, but he always screwed up the solos.

Aye!

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Jeeez, does anyone here even listen to PT anymore? Worthy bump.

I still do not care much for solo SW. Luminol is probably the best tune he has released outside of PT.