Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 18 2012, 05:42 AM)

Why is it obvious Wilson sees a future for the band?
1) He stopped the PT bandwagon at a creative and commercial high point. That seems a very strange thing to do, build so much impetus and then stop completely with no definitive start up date.

I agree that the timing was a bit strange, being that PT had just come off doing a co-headlining tour with Coheed and Cambria, a tour that saw them playing in cities they had previously never played in, and likely got them some new fans, but Wilson is not a conventional guy. Does he ever really do the expected or what the average bear would do? Not really.

Feck me- is this the PT forum pt 2? I said on there some time ago PT is finished to howls of derision. Now, the comments here are nowhere near as snarky, but still have the same level of denial. Guys, PT IS over. You heard it here first, just remember that tongue.gif

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 18 2012, 01:10 PM)
Feck me- is this the PT forum pt 2? I said on there some time ago PT is finished to howls of derision. Now, the comments here are nowhere near as snarky, but still have the same level of denial. Guys, PT IS over. You heard it here first, just remember that tongue.gif

This is depressing news however at least Wilson will still be making records. Glad I saw them 4 times in my life.

PT over - rofl3.gif - from time to time I talk to Steven Wilson in person and believe it or not he will, for f**k sake, come back with PT.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ May 18 2012, 04:10 PM)
PT over - rofl3.gif - from time to time I talk to Steven Wilson in person and believe it or not he will, for f**k sake, come back with PT.

OK- so a musician who is well connected to SW re-asserts another claim by the manager that the band is more than likely over, is saying this for the hell of it?? As l said, SW knows that calling time on PT WILL alienate a lot of fans and have a significant impact on his solo career.

Sometimes smoke = fire.

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 18 2012, 04:10 PM)

Ok, so I guess you have a lot of sources close to the band to say that? Whatever Wilson does, he does. He's never been conventional and he never will be. So what if Porcupine Tree is given a breather? That doesn't mean it's over. What do you want from them? An album every year? I think Wilson was trying to avoid spending too much time in a band and wanted more time to devote to his solo efforts. In which case, fine. But if certain fans, such as yourself, don't like it, no one's forcing you into believing what Wilson has been saying.

We're more than likely going to hear news about Porcupine Tree. Maybe not in the near future, but within the next two years at minimum. Maybe we'll get a new album in late 2013/2014. Who knows? Just let Steven run around in his hamster wheel.

Um, Andy Leffe the bands manager issued a clarification some time ago over comments attributed to him that the future of PT was in serious doubt. Now, why would you issue a clarification over something you HADN'T said?

The latest claim could be pure b/s, who knows, but again is said to involve comments from Andy Leffe. SW, has worked with Anathema, who have also supported PT. So, 2 sources who happen to be very close to the band are casting doubt about the bands future. Fans who have spoken to SW have also quoted him as being very cool and vague about what happens next for PT.

You cite SW's unconventionality, as evidence to support the band has a future. Perhaps he's gonna be unconventional and say nothing, that concept works both ways.

Sure, he's said there will be PT in the future, but it's all been very vague and IF it does happen you're looking at 2014 at the earliest. Thats gonna be a 5 year gap! And l'm not sure if a band like PT would be able to recover the momentum they had. Another thing worth considering is how people can very quickly move on to the next new thing these days. lt's almost ironic that SW's rage against the disposability of modern music could work against him should he decide to cycle up the PT machine.

It's almost like the scenario in a long term relationship where one of the parties says l need my own space, where what they really mean is l want to be somewhere else.

I will re-iterate my point about SW alienating his fan base. IMO, lots of PT fans are kinda weird and seem to think they have either some kind of personal connection with him or feel they speak on his behalf. He's not going to call time on PT just yet because he needs that fan base to build his solo career. And PT fans being what they are, would take that as a personal betrayal because their investment in SW is so closely linked to their investment in PT.

Sure, it's speculation and conjecture on my part, so how about this? If PT do make another album, l'll buy you the regular CD. If they don't you can buy me the next rush studio CD after angels. That's how confident l am that PT is over.

Edited by Sin City

As far as the jazz thing goes, the member who is farthest away from being a jazz player is SW himself. He's an excellent songwriter and his craft suits his purpose perfectly, but his guitar playing is nowhere near the level as Gavin's, Richard's or Colin's level of skill on their own instruments. I think SW knows that, and is working through his jazz phase (with much more skilled guitarists) so he doesn't have to try to fake it with his main band when PT tours.

I think people are reading too much into this whole thing. I think if SW wanted to end PT, he would say PT is over. I seriously think he is so excited about his solo stuff that the thought of putting an end to it and going back into PT mode would be disastrous to his creative spark.

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 18 2012, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (Sin City @ May 18 2012, 04:10 PM)

Ok, so I guess you have a lot of sources close to the band to say that? Whatever Wilson does, he does. He's never been conventional and he never will be. So what if Porcupine Tree is given a breather? That doesn't mean it's over. What do you want from them? An album every year? I think Wilson was trying to avoid spending too much time in a band and wanted more time to devote to his solo efforts. In which case, fine. But if certain fans, such as yourself, don't like it, no one's forcing you into believing what Wilson has been saying.

We're more than likely going to hear news about Porcupine Tree. Maybe not in the near future, but within the next two years at minimum. Maybe we'll get a new album in late 2013/2014. Who knows? Just let Steven run around in his hamster wheel.

The Incident came out in '09... That would make a 5 year space between records. Do not like.

SW will get my scratched out for dollars again when a new PT record comes out, and not before.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ May 18 2012, 05:10 PM)

When his other stuff starts to get boring or not do as well, I can see him trying to re-assemble PT.

If it is over, i got to see them at Radio City 1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 21 2012, 04:27 PM)
If it is over, i got to see them at Radio City 1022.gif

I didn't get to see them anywhere. I must be getting old though, because as much as I like them, it doesn't really bother me. sad.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 21 2012, 01:22 PM)
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303495_4026049536688_1445014825_33471745_120718663_n.jpg

Funny pic. You know, there are rumors that SW is a little light in his loafers, but last I heard, he had a girlfriend.

cool.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ May 22 2012, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ May 21 2012, 01:22 PM)
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303495_4026049536688_1445014825_33471745_120718663_n.jpg

Funny pic. You know, there are rumors that SW is a little light in his loafers, but last I heard, he had a girlfriend.

cool.gif

I have wondered that myself.

adace1 posted this as it's own thread and I missed it but found it when I did a search. A demo from the In Absentia days is available online.

I just heard about it on Experiments in Mass Appeal over on The Dividing Line Broadcast Network. Here is the link from the other thread:

God Fearing Demo

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 2 2012, 02:34 PM)
adace1 posted this as it's own thread and I missed it but found it when I did a search. A demo from the In Absentia days is available online.

I just heard about it on Experiments in Mass Appeal over on The Dividing Line Broadcast Network. Here is the link from the other thread:
God Fearing Demo

Good song - thanks for the link.