Cheap Trick

ReRushed

For some reason, during my commute this morning I got hit by a wave of nostalgia and I remembered going to Tower Records and picking up a copy of Pulse magazine. What does this have to do the Cheap Trick you ask? I distinctly remember an issue that included a Cheap Trick retrospective that reviewed their early albums. I read the article and was amazed at how much, at the time, I didn't know about Cheap Trick. I immediately went out and purchased their first four albums and was blown away. Before that article I only defined Cheap Trick by their hits and At Budokon (which I always loved). After the perspective the article gave me I realized Cheap Trick was a legit and honest band. I also went through a similar epiphany with a Creem article about the Kinks. Anyway, this is why I appreciate critics and all those lists. You never know...
  • Like 5

For some reason, during my commute this morning I got hit by a wave of nostalgia and I remembered going to Tower Records and picking up a copy of Pulse magazine. What does this have to do the Cheap Trick you ask? I distinctly remember an issue that included a Cheap Trick retrospective that reviewed their early albums. I read the article and was amazed at how much, at the time, I didn't know about Cheap Trick. I immediately went out and purchased their first four albums and was blown away. Before that article I only defined Cheap Trick by their hits and At Budokon (which I always loved). After the perspective the article gave me I realized Cheap Trick was a legit and honest band. I also went through a similar epiphany with a Creem article about the Kinks. Anyway, this is why I appreciate critics and all those lists. You never know...

Great story RR...I love when that happens.

Cheap Trick is sure getting some love from TV these days. They were on a morning show and Directv is showing the LA concert and has it as a special program. I have recorded it, but have yet to hear it.

I have a renewed interest, similar to what happened with Yes a few weeks ago.

Several years ago, I received a Christmas present from my sister. It was an external hard drive loaded with all kinds of music. Mostly rock. There was no band I though was not present.

Guess what, only one album by CT and its the live at Budokon. So I kinda was pissed. It looks like i may have to buy some stuff. Any suggestions for top albums? Or links to music? TIA.

• Like 1

Cheap Trick is sure getting some love from TV these days. They were on a morning show and Directv is showing the LA concert and has it as a special program. I have recorded it, but have yet to hear it.

Several years ago, I received a Christmas present from my sister. It was an external hard drive loaded with all kinds of music. Mostly rock. There was no band I though was not present.

Guess what, only one album by CT and its the live at Budokon. So I kinda was pissed. It looks like i may have to buy some stuff. Any suggestions for top albums? Or links to music? TIA.

The 1977 debut album is essential. It's simply an incredibly impressive debut.

You also can't lose with either In Color or Heaven Tonight.

Also, Cheap Trick 1997 is kind of a rebirth. That album came out of nowhere.

Just get all three.

• Like 1

The 1977 debut album is essential. It's simply an incredibly impressive debut.

You also can't lose with either In Color or Heaven Tonight.

Also, Cheap Trick 1997 is kind of a rebirth. That album came out of nowhere.

Just get all three.

Thanks. I'm on it!

I think Gonna Raise Hell is one of the most underrated songs of all time.

Who's with me?

• Like 3

I think Gonna Raise Hell is one of the most underrated songs of all time.

Who's with me?

Could be the best song they ever did? Especially live when they can improvise!!!!!

• Like 2

Surrender is a great song.

I kept playing and nothing...then I played it tonight and it all hit me: perfect song.

I am enjoying Heaven Tonight a lot more than I thought I would.

Still unsure of the debut but I will come back to it.

I said I'd keep an open mind and I will say I really do enjoy this album a lot more than I did the first time.

In fact, some of it reminds me of a band I love, HIM, minus the gothic romance aspect.

I don't mind being proven wrong. I am not sure if this is the second album or not but I took another chance with it and it's brilliant.

I will say I get some strange vibes off it...it feels very sixties in parts and then almost new wave in others. I don't think I picked up on this the first time I tried playing this album.

• Like 3

I may have to look into this new one. Cheap Trick is a band that has never really been on my radar at all, but I am moderately interested, at this point.

Cheap Trick is totally worth digging into. There are a ton of great songs beyond the popular hits. They are a band that endured for a reason.

Much like Bon Jovi.

Not exactly.

Not like BJ at all!

They nail what they do and simpyl understand about their music.

Great band! :cheers:

Edited by rhyv

Anyone get this:

http://pre15.deviantart.net/711b/th/pre/i/2016/164/d/8/cheap_trick_new_parts_by_surrender74-d9za2uv.jpg

Only around 4,000 of these were made for Record Store Day

I love rarities, from any band I appreciate. It seems cool!

Surrender74

I heard this 1 in the car earlier today

9 minutes of pure heaven...

• Like 2

Surrender74

I heard this 1 in the car earlier today

9 minutes of pure heaven...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkD1pbhpDtQ

First cassette I ever bought was Dream Police. Have loved them ever since. Missed seeing them just a couple of weeks ago. :rage:

Funny thing about this song, I always picture Gene Simmons pissed that it wasn't a Kiss song! :laughing guy:

Edited by Mystic Rythm
  • Like 1