Famous Rush Fans

snowdogged

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 6 2008, 02:13 AM)
Sebastian Bach (is he still famous?), the Metallica guy that died in the 80s, Kim Thayil(sp?) of Soundgarden, some older rapper/producer-- WTF was his name?......

How do you know Sebastian Bach's name, but not Cliff Burton's?

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 6 2008, 08:48 PM)
Sebastian Bach (is he still famous?), the Metallica guy that died in the 80s, Kim Thayil(sp?) of Soundgarden, some older rapper/producer-- WTF was his name?......

Probably because Skid Row > Metallica.

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 6 2008, 12:49 PM)

ohmy.gif

yea, Metallica references Tom Sawyer on Welcome Home (Sanitarium) at around 4:00

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 6 2008, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 6 2008, 12:49 PM)

ohmy.gif

yea, Metallica references Tom Sawyer on Welcome Home (Sanitarium) at around 4:00

They also thank "Geddy, Alex and Neil of Rush" on their liner notes on Puppets (Great album!)

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 6 2008, 03:49 PM)

ohmy.gif

Amen to that! I really liked Skid Row's cover of "What You're Doing". They're one of the few bands that get lumped into that '80s genre of music I actually enjoy, Seb's a great voice!

Mike Piazza is also a Rush fan. Kim Thayil too, huh? I love Soundgarden, would've been cool to see them cover a Rush song or two. Cornell could've handled it.

Edited by AeroZach2112

QUOTE (AeroZach2112 @ Mar 6 2008, 06:19 PM)

ohmy.gif

Amen to that! I really liked Skid Row's cover of "What You're Doing". They're one of the few bands that get lumped into that '80s genre of music I actually enjoy, Seb's a great voice!

Mike Piazza is also a Rush fan. Kim Thayil too, huh? I love Soundgarden, would've been cool to see them cover a Rush song or two. Cornell could've handled it.

Sebastian Bach is an extremely easy name to remember-- a similarly named classical composer and a 'reality' show will do that. Cliff Burton isn't exactly a household name now, and wasn't when he was alive.

Metallica > than Skid Row. Nuff said.

I know at least one member of Soundgarden was a fan, thought it was Thayil. Maybe not?

Still don't remember the rapper.

So are any of the people we're mentioning hardcore fans, or at least fans of Rush's music beyond their 'classic' period? I can see most of them pulling out anything up to MP, maybe even Signals, but are any of them talking excitedly about songs on HYF, Presto or RTB?

Edited by Rushian King

I was at the second Wembley show on the R30 tour and I saw Stuart Cable who used to be the drummer in The Stereophonics. He was telling someone that he was at the previous nights show and how brilliant it was.

I've been told that Nickleback are huge RUSH fans. Hey! Whaddya expect from another Canadian band?! Three Doors Down is another band that are big RUSH fans as well. Afterall, Alex produced (at least) their 1st album. I also think it's safe to assume that just about every Canadian rock & pop artist is a RUSH fan. "Our Boys" have influenced so many of them over the years.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 6 2008, 05:48 PM)
The Barenaked Ladies are definetely weird, you can't really hear any Rush influence

rofl3.gif

In case you're not joking Grade 9 off Gordon has a little acoustic Spirit of Radio riff in it and a live Tom Sawyer section.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 7 2008, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 7 2008, 10:22 AM)
Pleasure Dome from the Van Halen LP F.U.C.K. is supposed to be a tribute to Xanadu.

No, Eddie Van Halen would never allow that

We're talking about a time before E.V.H. became a complete moron. laugh.gif

The Manic Street Preachers, there was a big article/interview in Classic Rock Magazine about them meeting our boys and what big fans they are of our beloved Rush. biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif

Not Cliff-era Metallica, no way.

Metal up your Ass (Kill em' All)

Ride the Lightning

Master of Puppets

It all starts sliding downhill a bit from there, with a giant weighted nosedive when the black album and especially Load, Reloaded, blah blah, came out.