There's another remake in the works

Jack Aubrey

OK, I've seen a lot of people express a lot of love in here for the film they're remaking (actually, reimagining might be a better term since they've changed the setting-though I doubt that will help ease any of the pain). All I can say is please, please, please don't shoot the messenger! You know I love you and I know this news will be upsetting to a lot of you and you have my deepest sympathies.

OK, take a deep breath and go to a happy place, because here we go.

The Hollywood Reporter says:

NEW YORK -- Veteran producer Bridget Johnson will produce "Bumped," a modern-day version of "The Breakfast Club," with McG protege Anna Mastro attached to direct from a script by Lizzy Weiss.

"Bumped" is a comedy-drama revolving around five twentysomethings -- including a corporate go-getter, a musician and a flirt -- who normally wouldn't be friends but who get to know one another when they're bumped from a flight and wind up stranded at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

The project marks the directorial debut for Mastro, who worked closely with director-producer McG on his "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and was an associate producer on his "Stay Alive."

Mastro also has developed and produced the CW's "Pussycat Dolls" series and, like McG, shot music videos.

The film will be financed independently and later set up at a studio; it likely won't shoot until the SAG strike situation is resolved. Johnson ("As Good as It Gets"), who was an exec at Touchstone as well as at James L. Brooks' Gracie Films, produced the upcoming Miramax release "Smart People."

John Hughes' 1985 film "The Breakfast Club" (with which "Bumped" has no formal association) was a generation-defining comedy that helped build the careers of actors like Emilio Estevez.

Speaking of remakes, I read somewhere that there will be a remake of "Poltergeist".

If there truly is a poltergeist curse, this remake will never see the light of day.

I went to my happy place but things darkened quickly...

What is with movie execs and their twisted fantasies about being stuck in airports?! I recall seeing ads last year for a movie Lewis Black was in about kids being stuck in some airport and the crazy, wacky fun-filled adventures that naturally would ensue.

Who is in these brainstorm movie plot idea meetings? Who?!

That made me real sad Jack.

I know this may feel a step too far but if you are 14 this may be a cool movie.

However I think it is another sign of laziness in the film industry.

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 3 2008, 12:51 PM)

What is with movie execs and their twisted fantasies about being stuck in airports?! I recall seeing ads last year for a movie Lewis Black was in about kids being stuck in some airport and the crazy, wacky fun-filled adventures that naturally would ensue.

I know, sweetie, and I am very sorry. Should we ever meet I'll buy you dinner to make up for it.

Plus when you see 'The Right Stuff' that should help make up for it as well.biggrin.gif

Oh, and if you haven't already seen it, please check out sometime the amazing HBO series 'From the Earth to the Moon'.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 3 2008, 04:24 PM)
Isn't everything either a remake or a sequel?

It sure is starting to seem that way, isn't it?

Given that summary, it doesn't even sound like a "remake." The only similarity is five strangers who sit around talking and become friends. In "The Breakfast Club," the high school setting was ultra-important... you can't just make the characters older and put them in an airport and have it work the same. One of the biggest themes of TBC was how cliques and peer pressure keep kids alienated from each other; that doesn't happen when you're in your twenties in an airport. Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 3 2008, 04:56 PM)
Given that summary, it doesn't even sound like a "remake." The only similarity is five strangers who sit around talking and become friends. In "The Breakfast Club," the high school setting was ultra-important... you can't just make the characters older and put them in an airport and have it work the same. One of the biggest themes of TBC was how cliques and peer pressure keep kids alienated from each other; that doesn't happen when you're in your twenties in an airport.

Well, I did say that it sounded more like a reimagining than a remake. Still, it's close enough.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 3 2008, 01:59 PM)
Given that summary, it doesn't even sound like a "remake."  The only similarity is five strangers who sit around talking and become friends.  In "The Breakfast Club," the high school setting was ultra-important... you can't just make the characters older and put them in an airport and have it work the same.  One of the biggest themes of TBC was how cliques and peer pressure keep kids alienated from each other; that doesn't happen when you're in your twenties in an airport.

Well, I did say that it sounded more like a reimagining than a remake. Still, it's close enough.

It sounds close-ish, but not close enough to tread on sacred John Hughes territory. I'm really not fussed about it - who knows, it might be a decent movie...

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 3 2008, 11:39 AM)
OK, I've seen a lot of people express a lot of love in here for the film they're remaking (actually, reimagining might be a better term since they've changed the setting-though I doubt that will help ease any of the pain). All I can say is please, please, please don't shoot the messenger! You know I love you and I know this news will be upsetting to a lot of you and you have my deepest sympathies.

NEW YORK -- Veteran producer Bridget Johnson will produce "Bumped," a modern-day version of "The Breakfast Club," with McG protege Anna Mastro attached to direct from a script by Lizzy Weiss.

"Bumped" is a comedy-drama revolving around five twentysomethings -- including a corporate go-getter, a musician and a flirt -- who normally wouldn't be friends but who get to know one another when they're bumped from a flight and wind up stranded at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

The project marks the directorial debut for Mastro, who worked closely with director-producer McG on his "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and was an associate producer on his "Stay Alive."

Mastro also has developed and produced the CW's "Pussycat Dolls" series and, like McG, shot music videos.

The film will be financed independently and later set up at a studio; it likely won't shoot until the SAG strike situation is resolved. Johnson ("As Good as It Gets"), who was an exec at Touchstone as well as at James L. Brooks' Gracie Films, produced the upcoming Miramax release "Smart People."

John Hughes' 1985 film "The Breakfast Club" (with which "Bumped" has no formal association) was a generation-defining comedy that helped build the careers of actors like Emilio Estevez.

Dear God...

Whether or not it is a strict remake or just a "reimagining", some new studio hack is still looking to the past to generate ideas because he can't come up with them on his own.

There are days when I hope Hollywood dies a slow death.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 4 2008, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 3 2008, 11:39 AM)

Dear God...

2 very fitting words lerxt. I kind of like these 2 too: Shit. NOOOOOOOOOO..... tongue.gif

There was talk of making an actual sequel back in the late 80s but luckily that never happened

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 3 2008, 03:59 PM)
Given that summary, it doesn't even sound like a "remake."  The only similarity is five strangers who sit around talking and become friends.  In "The Breakfast Club," the high school setting was ultra-important... you can't just make the characters older and put them in an airport and have it work the same.  One of the biggest themes of TBC was how cliques and peer pressure keep kids alienated from each other; that doesn't happen when you're in your twenties in an airport.

Five people who otherwise would not be friends brought together by circumstances beyond their control...Sure, it may not be exactly like high school cliques, but its close enough with the socio-economic stratification they've mentioned. It like high school, but in The Larger Bowl.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 3 2008, 03:20 PM)

I know, sweetie, and I am very sorry. Should we ever meet I'll buy you dinner to make up for it.

... and booze. I have to drown my sorrows in something. First you tell us about the Pamela Anderson/Denise Richards movie and now this! What are you doing to us Jack?!

I shudder to think what's next. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 5 2008, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 3 2008, 03:20 PM)

... and booze. I have to drown my sorrows in something. First you tell us about the Pamela Anderson/Denise Richards movie and now this! What are you doing to us Jack?!

I shudder to think what's next. tongue.gif

Next is the original Planet Of The Apes remake. Oh yeah, they did that already. Damn you waffen093.gif Tim Burton

I just thought of a great idea for a movie. A popular guy in his thirties calls in sick from work. He then calls his neurotic friend who really is sick and gets him to spend the day with him getting into all sorts of shenanigans. Meanwhile his boss is suspicious he's not really sick and so he spends the whole movie investigating but getting nowhere.