Dark Star Orchestra

tangy

Well I got dragged out last night by some old bros from college to see Dark Star Orchestra. The kept raving how great they were but I really went out more to see them than the show.

To call DSO a cover band is somewhat misleading as they have a very

unique take on things.

Each night they reproduce as faithfully as they can a different Grateful Dead show from a certain year. Last night was

Hampton Roads Coliseum, Hampton, VA (3/22/87)

Hell in a Bucket

Sugaree

It's All Over Now

West L.A. Fadeaway

El Paso

When Push Comes to Shove

Cassidy

Deal

Sugar Magnolia

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Estimated Prophet

drums

The Wheel

Black Peter

Sunshine Daydream

Baby Blue

( stronger second set IMO )

as they announced at the end of the show. I was more than impressed when my friend actually figured it out about halfway thru the first set.

"Sounds like its shaping up to be a hampton show, probably 87"

Sure enough he was right and make it more tripping for me is I was in attendance at the original show back in 1987!!

Anywas for deadheads or just those who wondered what the dead were about these guys come highly recommended. The sound is really good.

These guys are masters of their craft and I guess its a testament to how many hippies we have here in town, that they typically play 2 nights back to back. Not only that but at $25, it was the most expensive show yet for me at the orange peel.

wheres my tie-dyed underwear? cool10.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 29 2008, 05:03 PM)

Hell in a Bucket
Sugaree
It's All Over Now
West L.A. Fadeaway
El Paso
When Push Comes to Shove
Cassidy
Deal

Sugar Magnolia
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Estimated Prophet
drums
The Wheel
Black Peter
Sunshine Daydream

Baby Blue

Sure enough he was right and make it more tripping for me is I was in attendance at the original show back in 1987!!

Sorry Tang, I missed that one, but caught the last show they did in Hampton that March. (The story I have about tickets is unbelievably true, but too long for this thread.)

That was my first Dead Show, and the most impressive song was Terrapin Station. The interaction w/ the audience had me hooked from that day on.

As for the show you listed...I liked the first set better. wink.gif

El Paso alone put it over the top.

BTW...I fuigure Apetersvt will be here shortly w/ his comment, since he saw them near Richmond a few nights ago. Here's the set list from that show:

Set 1

NFA

TLEO

Lazy L>

Supplication

Mission In The Rain

Mama Tried

Jack-A-Roe

Blow Away

Esau

Brown Eyed W.

Music Never Stopped

Set 2

Dark Star>

After Midnight>

Dark Star>

Playin'>

Alligator>

Drums>

Space>

St. Stephen>

Alligator>

St. Stephen>

Attics>

Throwing Stones

Touch Of Gray

Sweet set list, and similar to a few shows I saw, including one at Hampton. I like the first set on this one better too. trink39.gif

(Jack-a-Roe is one of my all time favs, though Attics is akin to Rush pulling Entre Nous out for the S&A Tour.)

For those of you that don't get it, you won't get it. The magic of those shows will never be recreated. wink.gif

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Feb 29 2008, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 29 2008, 05:03 PM)

Hell in a Bucket
Sugaree
It's All Over Now
West L.A. Fadeaway
El Paso
When Push Comes to Shove
Cassidy
Deal

Sugar Magnolia
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Estimated Prophet
drums
The Wheel
Black Peter
Sunshine Daydream

Baby Blue

Sorry Tang, I missed that one, but caught the last show they did in Hampton that March. (The story I have about tickets is unbelievably true, but too long for this thread.)

That was my first Dead Show, and the most impressive song was Terrapin Station. The interaction w/ the audience had me hooked from that day on.

As for the show you listed...I liked the first set better. wink.gif

El Paso alone put it over the top.

BTW...I fuigure Apetersvt will be here shortly w/ his comment, since he saw them near Richmond a few nights ago. Here's the set list from that show:

Set 1

NFA

TLEO

Lazy L>

Supplication

Mission In The Rain

Mama Tried

Jack-A-Roe

Blow Away

Esau

Brown Eyed W.

Music Never Stopped

Set 2

Dark Star>

After Midnight>

Dark Star>

Playin'>

Alligator>

Drums>

Space>

St. Stephen>

Alligator>

St. Stephen>

Attics>

Throwing Stones

Touch Of Gray

Sweet set list, and similar to a few shows I saw, including one at Hampton. I like the first set on this one better too. trink39.gif

(Jack-a-Roe is one of my all time favs, though Attics is akin to Rush pulling Entre Nous out for the S&A Tour.)

For those of you that don't get it, you won't get it. The magic of those shows will never be recreated. wink.gif

So you were at the 3/24/87 show in Hampton? Me too. I caught all 3 shows, in hampton that year.

I just spoke with my buddy who went again last night who said they played the 3/23/87 show last night!

I MISS THE DEAD SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH.

Last night, me and my buddy put on my mountainview, ca "View from the Vault" dvd.

While the wives were babbling on and on and on, we just kept drinking Yingies and remembering the good old days!

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Mar 1 2008, 01:48 PM)
I MISS THE DEAD SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH.
Last night, me and my buddy put on my mountainview, ca "View from the Vault" dvd.
While the wives were babbling on and on and on, we just kept drinking Yingies and remembering the good old days!

trink39.gif

These guys are really amazing, I am a huge Deadhead and if you like the Dead I would highly recommend you see these guys live. Last summer I saw them outside on the riverfront what a fantastic night. I do not post here much but view a lot and I am glad to see there are some fellow heads here trink39.gif

QUOTE (hammerhead2112 @ Mar 4 2008, 10:01 PM)
These guys are really amazing, I am a huge Deadhead and if you like the Dead I would highly recommend you see these guys live. Last summer I saw them outside on the riverfront what a fantastic night. I do not post here much but view a lot and I am glad to see there are some fellow heads here trink39.gif

I actually traded some Rush boots for the Maples Pavillion set from Feb, 1973. That trade was facilitated w/ the help of TRF. trink39.gif

Goes to show, you don't ever know... cool.gif

Hey steelcaressed if you are interested check out archive.org and click on live music. You can stream soundboards and download audience recordings of the Dead and a lot of other bands. All this is with the Bands approval, up until last year you could download the boards of the dead also. The band pulled all shows off but gave in to fan pressure and put them back on but no boards. You need to check out this site great music, you can download DSO shows and I have gotten a lot of Derek Trucks shows from here

QUOTE (hammerhead2112 @ Mar 4 2008, 11:07 PM)
Hey steelcaressed if you are interested check out archive.org and click on live music. You can stream soundboards and download audience recordings of the Dead and a lot of other bands. All this is with the Bands approval, up until last year you could download the boards of the dead also. The band pulled all shows off but gave in to fan pressure and put them back on but no boards. You need to check out this site great music, you can download DSO shows and I have gotten a lot of Derek Trucks shows from here

Thanks man. I'll definitely check it out. I have to figure out how to use audacity as well. I have heard you can use that program to record streaming audio.

I'll find the time someday.

trink39.gif

Of course I have to chime in here.

Been meaning to see DSO for a few years and then first saw them last summer in Richmond (I couldn't guess the show but at least I correctly predicted a spring tour '79 show. In fact I got the month and state correct.)

I also saw them last Monday in Richmond where they actually opened a brand new venue which will be an awesome upgrade to our local music scene.

SteelCaressed... thanks for posting my setlist for me to save the trouble. The encore was Sisters and Brothers. This show was an original setlist so no point guessing. It was pretty much obvious with the opening number of Not Fade Away. Nobody in the crowd around us could think of any show that opened that way

I'm planning on visiting my good college buddy in Denver in April (who we saw numerous GD shows in the past). DSO happens to be in town the weekend I'm going. We already got tickets.

I definately recommend them also. It's a great time.

Tangdog,

I noticed they had two Asheville shows on the schedule and was wondering if you were going. I guess I shoulda given you a heads up just in case.

Is the Orange Peel a good venue?

Also, Rob 'Bob Weir' from Dark Star Orchestra was a member of a Compuserve Grateful Dead forum that I was a part of back in '94. I still have many a show from tapes vines that were seeded by him.

His member name was King Bee. I was The Eleven.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 5 2008, 05:56 PM)
Tangdog,

I noticed they had two Asheville shows on the schedule and was wondering if you were going.  I guess I shoulda given you a heads up just in case.

Is the Orange Peel a good venue?

yeah, I consider the peel to be a good venue. Nothing special in terms of a facility as its an old nightclub but its got a great schedule ,top notch microbrews for $4, most shows are standing room only although some are seated. Less than 10 miles from my house. I think the sound is good there.

I really liked the DSO show and think I will be inclined to catch at least one night the next time they come to town.

Can't get "The Wheel" out of my mind ever since the show............

Dark Star is awesome. Love the Dead! Phil Lesh is the heart of the Dead. Phil and friends Last tour was phenominal. Im with all you heads here best music on planet Earth. Also check out Levon Helm and RCO allstars new years eve 77 from the palladium ....great show. If you havent got Levon`s new cd Dirtfarmer ......get it. Great Cd won the grammy for best traditional folk album. May be my oppinion, but place it against the Foo fighters album that won album of the year and Levon would have won that category too. Swear Danko and Manuel (RIP) must have been somewhere close by when Levon put that masterpeice together. Absolutely addicting album start to finish. cool10.gif

Archived