Breaking Bad

ReRushed

(spoilers)

Very Shakespearean Tragic Finale -

**Two minor characters - Badger and Skinny Pete - speaking for the audience:

"You know, I don't exactly know how to feel about all of this." "For real, yo, the whole thing felt kind of sketchy, like, morality-wise."

**Using another set of minor characters, Gretchen and Elliot, to carry the story beyond the scope of the play -- delivering the treasure to the son, innocent of his father's sins.

**Lydia killed with poison.

**Everyone dies, bloody violence.

**The anti-hero accepts his transgression "I did it for me. I liked it." and therefore his fate -- sliding the gun to Jessie.

When Walt finally admits to Skyler why he did it, or kept doing it, he accepted himself as "breaking bad"... It was no longer about a sympathetic science teacher who justifies his crimes as "for my family" -- it was about a good man who became a criminal because he liked how if felt, the power, the rush, the payoff.

Walt adapted so quickly to the dark Machiavellian morality in a criminal

endeavor -- remember the early episode where they had to dispose of a body with acid. Then watching Jane die (knowing he was rescuing Jessie to be used for his own ends). Many, many more.

Great finale!!

• Like 1

The finale was perfect. When Walt admitted to Skyler that he liked it, I thought back all the way to season 1 when he was screaming in his car after he blew up Tuco's place...so many great scenes right from the beginning. f***ing hell, I'm gonna miss it. Edited by Storm Shadow
  • Like 1

It's done. It's wrapped up. And like all great art it can be revisited again and again. I can only see myself returning to Breaking Bad like I do a great book or a great movie. I'm not disappointed it's over, I'm elated that it's complete and defined.
  • Like 3

It's done. It's wrapped up. And like all great art it can be revisited again and again. I can only see myself returning to Breaking Bad like I do a great book or a great movie. I'm not disappointed it's over, I'm elated that it's complete and defined.

It was beautiful, wasn't it? Completely satisfying. It ended like a great novel.

Bravo, Gilligan and company!

• Like 1

I've never seen the show. I don't get the channel . :eyeroll:

What kind of TV package do you have? AMC should be one of those channels available on even the most basic TV package. You know there are alternative ways to watch a TV show if you don't get the channel, right?

Edited by J2112YYZ

Watched it last night after one of the interns downloaded it for me. What an ending to a perfect story! I really liked the fact that the pace of the final episode was similar to that of the rest of the series. No rush to get it done and no cramming of a million explanations in the last minute.

I saw an interview with Anna Gunn where she said she was happy with the end and that "every character got what they deserved in the end", and that´s exactly how I felt about the final episode.

• Like 1

It was beautiful, wasn't it? Completely satisfying. It ended like a great novel.

Bravo, Gilligan and company!

Aye. Awesome ending. Except Marie remained unharmed :) :)

• Like 1

The finale was perfect. When Walt admitted to Skyler that he liked it, I thought back all the way to season 1 when he was screaming in his car after he blew up Tuco's place...so many great scenes right from the beginning. f***ing hell, I'm gonna miss it.

It was brilliant the way Walt came clean. Nice shot too in that scene, Skylar on the pohone then camera moves to reveal Walt is behind the column. SO good.

The final scene with Jesse was perfection. The ending was most certainly fitting for the series, even if it does seem a little too happy for the tone the series set. That being said, lots of great moments like with the two "assassins". I loved it. It's one of the best series finales I've ever seen.

Anyone else feel that there should have been a few open to interpretation/loose threads in the ending as opposed to literally tying up every single thing in this episode?

• Like 1

And bring on "Better Call Saul" now. Since they announced this one I keep thinking they will eventually fit in a scene where Saul is in a supermarket or any public place and a happy family - the Whites pre-Walt´s cancer - passes by unnoticed.
  • Like 1

I've never seen the show. I don't get the channel . :eyeroll:

I don't either. However, Netflix has everything up to the last half of this season and there are a myriad of sites google will give you if you search for "Watch Breaking Bad online"

The final scene with Jesse was perfection. The ending was most certainly fitting for the series, even if it does seem a little too happy for the tone the series set. That being said, lots of great moments like with the two "assassins". I loved it. It's one of the best series finales I've ever seen.

Anyone else feel that there should have been a few open to interpretation/loose threads in the ending as opposed to literally tying up every single thing in this episode?

I agree...people are asking "so how exactly did Walt poison Brock?", or saying "they could have explored more Walt´s relationship with Gretchen and how/why it ended" etc etc. I say leave it for the fans of the series to connect the dots. If they tried to explain EVERYTHING the last episode would feel like a tutorial, and not a drama series.

• Like 1

I agree...people are asking "so how exactly did Walt poison Brock?", or saying "they could have explored more Walt´s relationship with Gretchen and how/why it ended" etc etc. I say leave it for the fans of the series to connect the dots. If they tried to explain EVERYTHING the last episode would feel like a tutorial, and not a drama series.

I liked that those things weren't explained. Poisoning a kid with a flower that looks like a berry? Why does this need to be explained? It wouldn't be hard to figure out a dozen different ways Walt could have done it. I haven't heard anyone asking about the relationship...personally I found that they explained it quite well for anyone who thinks about what happened even a little.

To me that was the only downside to it all, too much explanation. So many answers condensed into an hour felt like many scenes were meant to be in 2-3 different episodes. I think that killing Lydia would have been one of those things. I thought the shot of going down the tea was fair indication that something was odd about it. All that was needed was a quick mention of Ricin in the next few minutes and done, everyone should have understood it.

Now I really need to get my hands on the series on disc. If I rewatch the series on Netflix I'll end up going over my bandwidth cap like I did when I started watching it. :P

Someone tell me i wasn't the only one who cried like a big manly baby once they kicked on "Baby Blue"...

I'm glad Vince took care of the most important issues...sure there's a couple of ends left "untied"...but I honestly don't think i could have thought up anything better than what i saw in this finale. To see Walt free Jesse and then take his last few steps admiring what's left behind of his personal legacy...really pulled at my heart. I was "team Walt" throughout the series, and to see in his eyes how he had a look of acceptance, accomplishment, and a final sigh of relief in knowing he did what he could, even though he destroyed so much of what he was working so hard to keep safe...that's what really got the waterworks going (of course after a solid 15 minutes of holding them back during Walt's scene at Skyler's apartment.)...I look forward to the day i show my future kids this show...i know it will still hold its relevance and power for years to come.

...Felt so inspired afterwards, i thought i'd finish up my Heisenberg portrait...ended up with a Jesse to go with it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3676/10047618376_705dd49e5c_n.jpghttp://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/10047703253_fecda25dda_n.jpg

Someone tell me i wasn't the only one who cried like a big manly baby once they kicked on "Baby Blue"...

I'm glad Vince took care of the most important issues...sure there's a couple of ends left "untied"...

What was left unanswered? We know exactly what happened to each character that set foot on the show.

I'm glad Vince took care of the most important issues...sure there's a couple of ends left "untied"...

What was left unanswered? We know exactly what happened to each character that set foot on the show.

I put "untied" in quotes for a reason...

I haven't found a sarcasm font yet...

I've heard a lot of folks who are wrapped up in the whole Brock/Andrea thing...apparently not touching on that in the finale rubbed a few people the wrong way...Some assumed Gretchen and Elliot were just bullshitting Walt...thus leading to people grouping all the "What happened to everyone else?" in the same category as loose ends left untied...I've been hanging onto this show since the pilot aired...I've found that people who sometimes jump ahead or dont go back and rewatch episodes tend to ask those kinds of questions...not really understanding the writing standpoint of Vince and where the show needed to end....I like to hear everyone's opinions and thoughts of this show...i feel thats what has really made it such a phenomenon (aside from the obvious talent in acting and writing)...I've compared being addicted to Breaking Bad to being a Rush fan...sometimes if you're friends don't get it...you just have to force feed it to them for their own good. :smash:

• Like 1

That final season really got me depressed. He went from a loving family man who was putting himself on the line into a criminal chemist who everyone hated. There's debates on whether he's a sociopath or not. I'd say essentially he is, but he did care about his family.

I don't think they should have gone for the whole "I did it for me" / die with his "true love, the meth lab!" sort of ending. I don't buy into that pretext one bit. It's a slap in the face. I did love the finale otherwise though because the rest of it shows his selfless intentions.

It's a sad way to end the show. It's really sad, it makes me tear up thinking about it actually.

For those of you wanting more details on each episode, check out the box sets of each season. There are tons of extras, and almost all episodes have extended features with the writers and actors explaining what they meant / how they felt with certain scenes etc.