Breaking Bad

ReRushed

This week couldn't be longer

At least you don't have to wait until Monday night to watch it. I need to get up super early Monday mornings so I can't really wait until the show airs, wait 30-60 minutes for it to be uploaded and then watch it unless I want to be a zombie the morning after. I really can't wait to see how all this plays out.

Brilliant gameplay to protect Skylar at the end there. Everything he did in the last 20 minutes of the episode was entirely calculated to save Skylar. The phone call did nothing to incriminate her, and in fact painted himself as a violent, intimidating threat to her. This will work to her favor if the police investigate her involvement in his empire. Kidnapping Holly drew the police protection in, in the first place. He knew the moment he took her that he would be returning her. Walt's gamesmanship never stops.

I think he's going to find out that the blue stuff is back on the market... then I think he'll go after the Nazis with the M60, and save the ricin for Jesse. The fly needs to be swatted.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Brilliant gameplay to protect Skylar at the end there. Everything he did in the last 20 minutes of the episode was entirely calculated to save Skylar. The phone call did nothing to incriminate her, and in fact painted himself as a violent, intimidating threat to her. This will work to her favor if the police investigate her involvement in his empire. Kidnapping Holly drew the police protection in, in the first place. He knew the moment he took her that he would be returning her. Walt's gamesmanship never stops.

I think he's going to find out that the blue stuff is back on the market... then I think he'll go after the Nazis with the M60, and save the ricin for Jesse. The fly needs to be swatted.

100% exactly what I was thinking. Walt is and always has been a genius...(usually) always thinking ahead...Just like Hank said "You're the smartest guy I ever met"....Although the only way I could see him finding out that his product is back on the market would be if one of the shipments to the Czech Republic somehow got confiscated and he sees it on the news or something...but then again...i know not to make real assumptions with this show...somehow they always find a way to make all our guesses close, but not close enough.

100% exactly what I was thinking. Walt is and always has been a genius...(usually) always thinking ahead...Just like Hank said "You're the smartest guy I ever met"....Although the only way I could see him finding out that his product is back on the market would be if one of the shipments to the Czech Republic somehow got confiscated and he sees it on the news or something...but then again...i know not to make real assumptions with this show...somehow they always find a way to make all our guesses close, but not close enough.

Saul's got loose lips at times.

But that line "You're the smartest guy I've ever met, but you're too stupid to see he's made up his mind ten minutes ago."... that line is ringing in my head right now. So chilling.

Drained. Spent.

Agree that Walt's phone call was completely calculated. My wife thought he was just going all power crazy, but he was acting that way to protect her and incriminate himself. It was in line with his "I'm the one who knocks" bravado, but this wasn't chest-puffing....it was a last ditch effort to protect them. He knows he is lost to them, so all he can do now is shield them from himself the best he can.

Walt's severed his ties for good.

Good lord. I wanted to yell, cry and vomit all at the same time. I've never seen anything like it.

The weight of 5 seasons of lies all crashing down in a single brutal, powerful episode.

Walt's phone call at the end (I swear for a brief flash of time I really thought he'd snapped and was going to kill Holly to torture Skyler) was quite a moment. A lot of that rage was real while also being a ruse. I can see him feeling all of what he described for a long time, even before he broke bad. Years of pent up feelings set loose yet also saving his family. Just amazing work and go ahead and give him the Emmy now. And Gunn. And Paul.

Poor Jesse. Once and for all Walt hates him, blames him for Hank's death and the fallout. And oh my god, I literally yelled af the tv when Walt skewered Jesse with "I watched Jane die..." WOW! Cold as ice!

And to a point he's right. Jesse stays quiet or leaves town then none of this happens. Jesse, the rabid problem dog on a leash. I'm convinced now that the ricin is for Jesse and the gun is for Uncles of Anarchy.

This hour of tv was the best, most tightly focused played out hour of any entertainment you're likely to find for a long time.

Walt had lost everything and he knows it's all his fault. I think he needs to save Jesse. If there's one thing that is worse than the results of Walt's decisions it's the Nazi's. But they're Walt's fault too.

This show is as brilliant as a television show can be. The bar is now set VERY high.

• Like 2

This episode has ruined every other show for me.

Yeah, it really has. I haven't seen anything touch this season's emotional and visceral heft. Not even close. I'm sitting on the edge of my couch (literally on the very edge) and just bouncing from one season-making scene to the next. Last night's really made me heartsick. There wasn't a wasted moment. Even the beginning is just poignant as hell (and the only "break" you get from the tension that's bridging last episode and this before throwing you right back into the gun battle). This show prides itself on its dark and witty humor and the only room for it last night was the music as Walt rolled his barrel to that fellow's house; the briefest pause to catch your breath before being pummeled once again.

Unrelenting...truly.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I got my mom into this show recently and she powered through the entire series on Netflix and Amazon Instant in time to watch this episode with me and the wife. All three of us were just sitting there like holy shit. Afterwards, I watched a couple of beyond terrible b-horror movies because there was just no point in trying to watch something good.

Walt had lost everything and he knows it's all his fault. I think he needs to save Jesse. If there's one thing that is worse than the results of Walt's decisions it's the Nazi's. But they're Walt's fault too.

This show is as brilliant as a television show can be. The bar is now set VERY high.

I'd have to agree with you. His unresolved business is likely trying to save the closest thing he has left to family.

In all fairness this show seems to have made up for the lack of any visible standard on television from the last few years. Not only is it exceptional from recent television (not saying much) but it is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

The blue stuff is the most important thing left for Walt. It is his signature- his identity. It's the last vestige of his Empire. When the blue stuff starts turning back up, Walt is going to end up with one last bug to crush. He will have to shoot through the nazis first, but then he will appear to be Jesse's savoir before one final act of revenge by poisoning him.

Jesse is DEA_.

Agreed. I've heard & read theories on Walt saving Jesse from the Uncles of Anarchy...I simply do not see that.

I think Walts at a place now where he will kill Jesse once he finds out he's alive. As far as he knows he's already dead. My presumption is that as he prepares to return to NM and kill Todd's gang he deduces/discovers Jesse's alive. With their history over the ricin it seems very plausible that its for Jesse.

The thing with this show is that the writing follows threads to their natural conclusions. No goody, warm fuzzy feelings just because that's what we want to happen but, as we've seen, shit goes down because that's how shit happens. If we know anything about Walt it's that he wants his money back for his family. I can see him figuring out a way, possibly through Saul, of leaving it to them (maybe even Marie) once he gets it back from Todd.

If Walt can beat Tuco, Mike & Gus (luck or no luck) then he can beat Uncle Jack. Though he's likely to not live long or at all after that confrontation.

I watched it again. I am going to miss this show so much when its off the air.

They did it the right way. One of the many many strengths of Breaking Bad is the short seasons. I won't miss the show when it's off the air because it's an epic story. I imagine I will watch over and over in my remaining years. Much like the Godfather movies. It's EPIC. It's among the BEST. It's apart of our culture.

• Like 1

Well, it is official. The 14th episode of Season 5 of Breaking Bad just aired Sunday night (Ozymandias) and it is the highest rated episode in television history. Currently there are over 20,000 votes in on Imdb.com and it has scored a perfect 10. This has never been done before. They need a minimum number of votes and then an average is done. Since they round to the nearest tenth, The score after calculation from voters must be greater than 9.95. Additionally Breaking Bad is now second on the all time TV ratings only behind Planet Earth, a documentary. Additionally It has just been named the Highest Rated TV show in History in the 2014 Guinness Book of World Records based on it 99/100 Metacritic score (based on seasons 4 and 5 I believe). No other show has had such critical praise per Metacritic.

Congratulations Vince Gilligan and writing staff and actors. You all deserve the praise and accolades.

Edited by vital signz