Hardest Rush song to play...

yyz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By tor on the drums....cannot do the off beats and Hemipspheres is hard at times...

for guitar- heh spirit of radio....the beginning is hard. every song has its hard times thats for sure!

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 16 2005, 11:02 AM)
None are, but if I had to choose, I'd have to say Bravado on drums. The ending is nuts.

I concur.....i'm getting the hang of it tho....soon i'll have it down 1287.gif

None are, but if I had to choose, I'd have to say Bravado on drums. The ending is nuts. 

I would have to agree with Kazzman...Since I've been playing Rush for 10 years...none are really "hard" to play. But the ending on Bravado is somewhat difficult...LIVE-->Different Stages

Edited by yyzyy

I got my bass 9 months ago, and I can play the entire counterparts album! biggrin.gif yay!

653.gif

What's the hardest on the bass... (Starts counting on his fingers) The bass solo on La Villa Strangiato, The Big Money... in fact, the entire power windows album, Limbo has it's tough moments.... Wow, this is harder than it should be

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jan 16 2005, 06:12 PM)
I got my bass 9 months ago, and I can play the entire counterparts album! biggrin.gif yay!

653.gif

What's the hardest on the bass... (Starts counting on his fingers) The bass solo on La Villa Strangiato, The Big Money... in fact, the entire power windows album, Limbo has it's tough moments.... Wow, this is harder than it should be

What? .... dude, you must be extremely talented.

On bass, Ceiling Unlimited is very difficult, and I have been playing for 30 years. Especially if you try to sing too.

On Guitar, the only challenging things for me is fingering some of the unique chords that ALex uses. If you don't stay on them, they leave you.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 16 2005, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jan 16 2005, 06:12 PM)

653.gif

What? .... dude, you must be extremely talented.

Yeah, really. Must be amazing. My friend got his bass like 3 years ago and he still can't play that many Rush songs.

QUOTE (BULLSEYE FOREVER @ Jan 16 2005, 11:35 PM)
Well I have been playing guitar for over 20 years.........and I guess the most tricky song of Rush's for me to learn was Natural Science,Test for Echo.........all the other ones I learned,but it took patience and practice

Indeed. Practice and patience are essential in playing difficult music. Probably the most needed skills in my opinion, including desire. trink39.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 16 2005, 11:00 PM)
Well I have been playing guitar for over 20 years.........and I guess the most tricky song of Rush's for me to learn was Natural Science,Test for Echo.........all the other ones I learned,but it took patience and practice

Indeed. Practice and patience are essential in playing difficult music. Probably the most needed skills in my opinion, including desire. :cheers:Indeed

trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (BULLSEYE FOREVER @ Jan 17 2005, 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 16 2005, 11:00 PM)

Indeed. Practice and patience are essential in playing difficult music. Probably the most needed skills in my opinion, including desire. :cheers:Indeed

trink39.gif trink39.gif

THREE CHEERS TO THAT!!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif yes.gif

As someone already said, it's Alex's unique voicings that I find trip me up. Sometimes it's a combination of these and a rapid sequence of chord changes that does my head in.

The little sequence in Big Wheel where you go through E, F#addB, Bsus2, F#/A# and G#5 ends up with my fingers like a rat's nest!

Been playing guitar, bass, and keys for 28 years. I learned the basics first, discovered RUSH, and embarked on a lifelong fascination with their music. Regarding guitar, in the beginning I found the big open chords Alex uses quite challenging as well as some of the riffs and solos. Serious dedication, desire, and always seeking new knowledge made those challenges rather easy to play. For bass, again in the early days, I found La Villa, YYZ, and the Freewill solo intimidating. Keys were never that difficult, just finding the right suonds. Nowadays, I don't find anything that difficult to master. Of course, I must say that I prefer to work smart (rather than too hard biggrin.gif ) so I purchased a Tascam CD-GT1 Guitar Trainer and cut the note-for-freakin-note learning time down to an average of about an hour for each song attempted.

Currently, my group is rotating some earlier tunes through the songlist (Fly By Night, Spirit, and Limelight). Damn, I love to play those songs!

Peace.

2.gif

i dont know about drums or bass, although i have a bass, i havent had it very long...on guitar, probably freewill. that solo is INSANE!

On drums, I think Subdivisions would be hard because of the meter changes and Tom Sawyer would be hard because of its meter changes and because of its rapid hi-hat pattern. On bass, YYZ and La Villa Strangiato sound equally difficult. Finally on guitar, YYZ and La Villa also sound equally difficult.