LED ZEPPELIN vs PINK FLOYD

EmotionDetector

If each band re-united for one show only, which would you rather see?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. If each band re-united for one show only, which would you rather see?

• LED ZEPPELIN
    • PINK FLOYD

QUOTE (slambozzio @ Feb 1 2008, 12:27 AM)
Led Zeppelin for me.

Pink Floyd don't ad-lib at all in their gigs (i've seen them twice live) they just play stuff off the album note-for-note confused13.gif

Now don't get me wrong, i LUV Floyd ... but i reckon LZ would be a better gig to catch 1022.gif

I have many Pink Floyd ROIOs and there were some gigs where they improvised a bit and stretch some songs to longer lengths (Pigs Three Different Ones would be as long as 20 minutes on the Animals tour and Shine On Parts 6-9 would be anywhere from 17 to 24 minutes live depending on the mood of the band). David Gilmour would not play the solos as on record live (his solo deliveries were always different). Rick Wright's keyboard solos changed nightly. Since they were the main musicians in PF, they play from their soul and were improvisors. Nick Mason and Roger Waters tended to stick by the rule book though Mason would have his moments to play different fills. I suggest you look for some Floyd ROIOs from 1971-77 as that was prime PF live. Also, Gilmour has been known to f**k up a lyric or two. Waters did before he used the vocal track.

Zep became note-for-note as of the 1979/1980 tour and the shows were unpredictable cos of the drugs and alcohol intake of Page and Bonham. Punk changed everything for everyone.

1st choice - Zeppelin with Bonham

2nd choice - Floyd (Wright, Mason, Waters, Gilmour)

3rd choice - '07 reunion Zeppelin

4th choice - Floyd with all of those extra 'members' on stage.

Any of those options would be awesome to me.

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 31 2008, 10:58 PM)
Floyd, without question. What I've seen of Zeppelin live I've never liked. Their studio work is amazing, but their attempts to replicate it live fall short. Floyd, on the other hand, translates very well live.

Ever see the Led Zeppelin DVD? If not, that may change your mind.

trink39.gif

This shouldn't even be a contest. Led Zeppelin anytime. They have the greatest guitarist, the greatest vocalist, the second greatest bassist, and had the greatest drummer. Jason Bonham is really good now as their drummer.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Feb 7 2008, 10:37 PM)
This shouldn't even be a contest.  Led Zeppelin anytime.  They have the greatest guitarist, the greatest vocalist, the second greatest bassist, and had the greatest drummer.  Jason Bonham is really good now as their drummer.

Here is my rankings of whom I'd like to see reunited:

Pink Floyd (Gilmour/Mason/Waters/Wright lineup. I know I saw the PF 1987 lineup in 1994 but this would be the best. Also, Wright, Mason and Waters want to play again. Gilmour is reluctant)

Genesis (Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett/Rutherford lineup. I saw the three man era reunion last year on September 11 and that rocked. The five man lineup would kick ass too but it's a shame Peter Gabriel is so focused on World Music and moving at a snail's pace that it won't happen. Steve Hackett will only play if Peter is there. Also, Peter really is reluctant to go back to singing about Musical Boxes and Supper's Ready at his age)

Supertramp (Davies/Hodgson/Helliwell/Siebenberg/Thomson lineup. They split ala Beatles as Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson's wives hated each other and their writing skills were so different to each other. Dougie Thomson quit after Rick Davies broke his word that no Hodgson songs would be played without Roger. This reunion won't ever happen)

Styx (as long as it's the DeYoung/Shaw/Young tangent with either Glen Burtnik or a fully healthy Chuck Panozzo and Todd Suchermann. Ricky Phillips and Lawrence Gowan can kiss my ass (Mr Bad English bass man and the unknown dude who is to Styx what Ray Wilson was to Genesis. Dennis DeYoung wanted back in Styx as far back as 2000 but JY and Tommy used Dennis' illness against him to throw him out. Recently as last year, Chuck Panozzo wants to play with Dennis and Styx again. However, JY is the one who wants to re-write Styxtory and JY claiming Dennis will sue again (Dennis didn't want to sue Shaw and Young but was forced to after he was excluded from decisions regarding the band name). If Pink Floyd can play with Waters again, why can't Styx's famed personnel)

Led Zeppelin (Jason Bonham is now what he should have been in the 1980s before he almost wound up like his dad but is now appears to be a health nut since cleaning his hide up and the reunion would be cool)

Van Halen (the REAL original line up of Eddie, Alex, David and Michael. No disrespect to Cartman, I mean Wolfie, but we want the real thing not Sham Halen. Van Halen (Eddie, Alex, Dave and Mike), Van Hagar (Eddie, Alex, Mike and Sam), Shit Halen (Eddie, Alex, Mike and Gary), SHAM HALEN (Eddie, Alex, Dave and Wolfie)

I saw the reunited Iron Maiden in 2000, reunited Judas Priest in 2005, original KISS reunion in 1996, 1998 and 2000, the Dio-era Black Sabbath last year, I have seen all of The Who's reunion tours save 2000 and 2004 as I lacked funds.

Triumph is reuniting. I'd like to see the original Queensryche lineup reunite again but Chris DeGarmo loves the family life.

Edited by floydfanatic111

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 8 2008, 12:28 AM)

Styx (as long as it's the DeYoung/Shaw/Young tangent with either Glen Burtnik or a fully healthy Chuck Panozzo and Todd Suchermann. Ricky Phillips and Lawrence Gowan can kiss my ass (Mr Bad English bass man and the unknown dude who is to Styx what Ray Wilson was to Genesis. Dennis DeYoung wanted back in Styx as far back as 2000 but JY and Tommy used Dennis' illness against him to throw him out. Recently as last year, Chuck Panozzo wants to play with Dennis and Styx again. However, JY is the one who wants to re-write Styxtory and JY claiming Dennis will sue again (Dennis didn't want to sue Shaw and Young but was forced to after he was excluded from decisions regarding the band name). If Pink Floyd can play with Waters again, why can't Styx's famed personnel)

Yeah that would be my dream come true because I'm 16 so I've never seen the Shaw, Young, DeYoung, healthy C. Panazzo, J. Panazzo lineup. But Todd Sucherman is really good and I think Lawerence Gowan adds alot to their live shows. I've seen them 7 times with their current lineup but I doubt if they will ever invite Dennis DeYoung back.

I've seen both bands in their their prime but I'd go with Pink Floyd.

David and Roger are pretty much still on top of their game. Not sure about Nick.

Robert and Jimmy, not so much. Not sure about JPJ.

I'd buy a ticket just to see Pink Floyd play Sheep, then leave the stage.

Edited by custom55

Floyd by a small margin.

Floyd captivate me. Zep lose me at times, not as much as Yes can, but still. I've always thought Zep were just a bit off from what I wanted them to be. Floyd are exactly what I want them to be.

• Like 1