King Crimson rules.

Finbar

I'm curious as to how an individual can 'drive to 1981' to quote Robert Fripp of King Crimson.

That's a lot of miles to put on a vehicle for sure.

Guess one would have to pick up a league of gentlemen and a few roches along the way......not to mention a fine session bassist/Stickist and a Bowie/Zappa tour alumni....

not to mention the String Quintet.
  • Like 1

My friend Steve and I apparently are going to see Crimson in September. He's never seen them (something he can't quite believe because he's been aware of them forever)... and I've only seen them once (1995).

Can't wait!!!

I'll be at the L.A. show on Sept. 3. Have your people call my people if you'd like to get together before or after the show to have beers and talk music... Rock on!

0617172303_zpsuabw5hma.jpg

• Like 2

My friend Steve and I apparently are going to see Crimson in September. He's never seen them (something he can't quite believe because he's been aware of them forever)... and I've only seen them once (1995).

Can't wait!!!

Going to be a lot different than the double trio.

Definitely will.. that's one of the reasons I am looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Can't wait!!!

That's the beauty of King Crimson, isn't it?

Can't wait!!!

Don't know about you, but what I witnessed at The Met was flat out a religious experience. As much as I like the era they focused on, it was never a favorite of mine and I never witnessed about 70 percent of the set live before.

Except for maybe In The Court Of The Crimson King, the whole set was totally brought to life. Totally destroyed by that performance. I'm going to pull some of the live stuff from that era off of the shelf this weekend to see if it stirs me any more than usual.

I'm curious as to how an individual can 'drive to 1981' to quote Robert Fripp of King Crimson.

That's a lot of miles to put on a vehicle for sure.

Guess one would have to pick up a league of gentlemen and a few roches along the way......not to mention a fine session bassist/Stickist and a Bowie/Zappa tour alumni....

Fripp played for the Roches after 1981...although perhaps I don't understand the quote.

Here's something of interest.

A Romantic's Guide To King Crimson by The Mastelottos

Pat Mastelotto is an American rock drummer and record producer who has worked with King Crimson, Mr. Mister, XTC, and The Rembrandts, and many others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJ6HosDmzw

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Here's something of interest.

A Romantic's Guide To King Crimson by The Mastelottos

Pat Mastelotto is an American rock drummer and record producer who has worked with King Crimson, Mr. Mister, XTC, and The Rembrandts, and many others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJ6HosDmzw

Watched the beginning sequence on women (and progressive music in general). I think the band matters a lot, my mother liked some prog like Yes, Alan Parson's Project, (arguably) The Moody Blues and even some ELP. But stuff like Dream Theater, King Crimson, Rush, etc didn't interest her at all. The typically more masculine sounding bands seem to appeal, surprise surprise, to men. I think trying to trick anyone into liking something [because of a handful of tracks out of an entire catalog of the band's music that might appeal to them] is not doing them any favors.

That said, my GF loves metal and far out metals me (and I'm not ashamed to admit it). So there's always the exceptions and the genres that defy this. Prog and metal are often very different beasts, musically. They can both be loud and aggressive, but melodic elements and musical 'design' matter a lot in who ends up gravitating towards the music. Progressive can be overly complex, angular, and even unpleasant (tension). Traditional metal tends to just speed up/slow down to accomplish the mood, where prog will use odd time signatures, dissonant chords, and strange arrangements to accomplish the same thing. That quality about progressive music in general is usually why fewer people gravitate toward it. It's "off-putting".

Edited by stoopid