I QUIT!

sullysue

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 29 2010, 03:49 PM)
HOW IN THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS MANAGING THIS?????
I want to quit - I really do - and I only smoke about 1/2 pack/day to start with!
I managed about 9 hours a few weeks back before caving. I really don't want to do Chantix - expensive as hell copay, for one, plus I know too many recidivists.
Part of it, I know, is just breaking associations. Like not smoking while driving, for one.

Holy crap, Mara. That is me, to a T. I know I could quit. I mean, hell, I can make it all day at work without one. No problem. Those triggers KILL me! A pack lasts me the good part of a week. But, I just can't seem to let go. I'm not ready. I don't think I could if I tried. I'd only end up feeling like a loser for not being able to accomplish it.

And, Chantix was a nightmare for me. Literally. And, I had moments where I was really close to passing out. Not good.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 29 2010, 04:18 PM)
I want to quit - I really do - and I only smoke about 1/2 pack/day to start with!
I managed about 9 hours a few weeks back before caving.  I really don't want to do Chantix - expensive as hell copay, for one, plus I know too many recidivists. 
Part of it, I know, is just breaking associations.  Like not smoking while driving, for one.

Holy crap, Mara. That is me, to a T. I know I could quit. I mean, hell, I can make it all day at work without one. No problem. Those triggers KILL me! A pack lasts me the good part of a week. But, I just can't seem to let go. I'm not ready. I don't think I could if I tried. I'd only end up feeling like a loser for not being able to accomplish it.

And, Chantix was a nightmare for me. Literally. And, I had moments where I was really close to passing out. Not good.

It took me 2 1/2 years to get to the point I am today! Do the math...that is a lot of days of trying and failing and trying and failing and...well you get the point!

What finally did it...I don't know about where you live but around they have these commercials that graphically show the effects of smoking. That my girlfriend reached over 2 years quit, I still remembered one of her attempts from 12 years prior and my oldest daughter was routing for me!!!

You NEED to be ready and no matter how good that drag makes you feel, that breath of fresh air feels so much better!!!!

Can I also tell you that I would have cronic bronchitis and some form of pneumonia at least 2 times a year...HAVE NOT had either in over a year!!!!!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 29 2010, 05:18 PM)
I managed about 9 hours a few weeks back before caving.  I really don't want to do Chantix - expensive as hell copay, for one, plus I know too many recidivists. 
Part of it, I know, is just breaking associations.  Like not smoking while driving, for one.

Me too, at work. I catch myself wanting one every now and then, but as long as I am busy it's not a bother. At home I do not smoke indoors, so if I've got stuff to do I don't just drop everything and run outside to light up.

The ones I feel I "gotta have":

after I get up, while driving, and while walking the dogs. That's it. I don't even have the post-mealtime or cigarette-with-coffee joneses. (I broke the mealtime association when my husband and I first started seeing each other because I didn't want him to know).

Oh, and the times I've been on prescription pain meds for dental work and post-hip surgery - I smoked like mad. That stuff does cause a craving.

Smoke-free for 94 days, 1 hour, 43 minutes and 33 seconds.

2,164 cigarettes not smoked.

$756.70 saved.

NOPE! Not One Puff, Ever!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 11 2010, 11:44 PM)

$756.70 saved.

NOPE!  Not One Puff, Ever!

At that pace, you'll save almost $3,000 in your first smoke-free year. That's a lot of money in only a year. Talk about incentive to quit.

Yes, I know...easy for the non-smoker to say. But we're talking about $3,000!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 12 2010, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 11 2010, 11:44 PM)

$756.70 saved.

NOPE!  Not One Puff, Ever!

At that pace, you'll save almost $3,000 in your first smoke-free year. That's a lot of money in only a year. Talk about incentive to quit.

Yes, I know...easy for the non-smoker to say. But we're talking about $3,000!

f*ckin hell that's a lot of bread ! I've seen some round-the-world-airfare tickets (those tickets where you pick any 6 cities to visit) around that price. Well done GR! 1022.gif

I just quit smoking today. Smoked my last cigarette this morning. I'm going cold turkey, without the aid of pills or patches. I've tried to quit lots of times, but I really want to succeed this time.

Wish me luck!

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 18 2012, 09:21 PM)
Sometimes I think of smoking for a while just to see if I could will myself to quit.

Its the test of ultimate will...

It's easy to quit when you just smoked for a while. But when you have smoked for many years, it really is a test of ultimate will.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 18 2012, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 18 2012, 09:21 PM)
Sometimes I think of smoking for a while just to see if I could will myself to quit.

It's easy to quit when you just smoked for a while. But when you have smoked for many years, it really is a test of ultimate will.

Good luck with that. I pray (hope?) for your success. smile.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 18 2012, 08:15 AM)
I just quit smoking today. Smoked my last cigarette this morning. I'm going cold turkey, without the aid of pills or patches. I've tried to quit lots of times, but I really want to succeed this time.

Wish me luck!

You can do it, man! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 01:36 AM)

Wish me luck!

Thanks goobs! trink39.gif

This is my second day without cigarettes. I feel great! Woke up this morning, had a nice breakfast instead of a cigarette, and then went out for a run!

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 19 2012, 03:45 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 01:36 AM)

Wish me luck!

Thanks goobs! trink39.gif

This is my second day without cigarettes. I feel great! Woke up this morning, had a nice breakfast instead of a cigarette, and then went out for a run!

WOOHOO!

Good luck to all those trying to quit. Tomorrow is my 6 month anniversary of not smoking. That's the longest I've gone without in nearly 40 years! And this time feels really different than the times I tried to quit before; I feel confident that it will be permanent because I learned of a technique (on the Led Zep forum of all places, LOL) that works for me. I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread so would like to share with you all. ------

It's called EasyWay by Allen Carr. Sorry I don't have the link to their website at hand, try a google search. There are 3 ways to get their program -- a seminar held in a few major cities, his book (which I found online in PDF form for free!) and through their webcast which is what I did because I wanted to stop smoking immediately. It's just a talk/cognitive behavior therapy but something about it works like none of the other treatments ever had, it's miraculous really.

It was the best thing I have EVER done. Sure, I've gained some weight but figure I can try to get that off slowly with more exercise (which I now LOVE to do for the first time in my life) and change in diet.

And congrats to all you EX-smoking Rush fans!!!

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 21 2012, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 21 2012, 05:26 AM)
Four days without cigarettes! This is hard!  wacko.gif

Habits like this are all in the mind. You have to keep your brain occupied so you don't think about it.

That is sound advice. yes.gif

I've broke some annoying habits (nothing as big as smoking or alcohol) and that is the way to go.

A good idea could be to find a new hobby to occupy your time. smile.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 21 2012, 07:26 PM)
Four days without cigarettes! This is hard! wacko.gif

Keep it up. I haven't smoked since January. After the first few weeks it definitely gets easier. This is my 3rd time quitting but a big difference is that I'm just not around many smokers these days...I'm not blaming them one bit but you know how it is.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 21 2012, 05:26 AM)
Four days without cigarettes! This is hard! wacko.gif

Keep going! I can tell you from all kinds of experience I have with the effects of smoking that it's well worth it.

You can do it!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 24 2012, 03:16 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 19 2012, 05:21 AM)

No, that'd be the test of ultimate stupidity.

Why not both?