Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

The Owl

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bill Bruford punched Squire's face once because he was so irritated. He also said that when he was called to audition as the drummer he was led to believe he'd be joining a jazz band.

I met Bill Bruford after seeing him perform at Sculler's Jazz Club. I loved his sarcasm when he'd make comments about one thing or another, such as comparing an American audience with an English one.

He told me that he loved working on Burning for Buddy and gave high praise for Neil's efforts on that album.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Jan 3 2008, 11:28 AM)
Did you know that most of what you think is Steve Howe in Union is actually Jimmy Haun?

Not only that, but at no time was the entire band playing together - either on the album or the tour. Jon Anderson was essentially going back-and-forth between the ABWH band and the 90125 band. "Union"? They weren't united! The review of the Union concert I saw was titled "No." laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 3 2008, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Jan 3 2008, 11:28 AM)
Did you know that most of what you think is Steve Howe in Union is actually Jimmy Haun?

Not only that, but at no time was the entire band playing together - either on the album or the tour. Jon Anderson was essentially going back-and-forth between the ABWH band and the 90125 band. "Union"? They weren't united! The review of the Union concert I saw was titled "No." laugh.gif

I think there were some songs they all played on while on stage. Heart of the Sunrise and Awaken come to mind.

As for Onion...I mean, Union, the four Yes songs were were supposed to have Anderson's singing dubbed over them, like Squires vocals were dubbed onto the ABWH stuff. That was such a hybrid album...maybe we should call it Prius, instead!

I love the ABWH album. Jon is in especially good voice, there. smile.gif

But once again, it looks like I'm the only one who likes Teakbois! ohmy.gif (Seriously, why all the Teakbois hate? confused13.gif ) I'm starting to think I'm the only one in the world who likes that song! laugh.gif

My other faves are Brother Of Mine (great vid too biggrin.gif ) and Order Of The Universe. smile.gif

But it isn't a Yes album...not without Chris. no.gif

I am giving this thread a much needed bump. I included this as a joke option in the Floyd vs. Yes poll. And it seems this whloe album is getting alot of hate.

I think this album was awesome, even the live album that accompanied this tour.

ABWH "An evening with Yes music plus"

i like it, do i love it? no. since i have not listened to it in a long while i will give it another spin trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 3 2008, 10:24 AM)

But once again, it looks like I'm the only one who likes Teakbois! ohmy.gif (Seriously, why all the Teakbois hate? confused13.gif ) I'm starting to think I'm the only one in the world who likes that song! laugh.gif

I like it too! It's so dorky, but it always makes me smile. I think my fave track off that album is "Fist of Fire," though.

A friend of mine who's a huge Yes fan played ABWH for me and was rather sheepish about it. I think he was expecting me to hate it. He was really surprised when I told him I liked it.

Related: I never get tired of hearing about Yes drama. For some reason all the pettiness is hilariously funny to me. And there is nothing more awesome than some choice Bill Bruford sarcasm. It's easily as glorious as his drumming. laugh.gif

I have a very long video of the band as they talk about their career from the very beginning to more recently (35th Anniversary tour) and see now some of the mention of the disaster that Union became. Rick Wakeman said he especially hated "Union" threw it onto the Florida Interstate after hearing it the first time. Bill Bruford also said it was a disaster of an album.

But Rick did say that the Union tour was a really good tour. One of the more interesting things was the very obvious conflict between Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin. Steve Howe said in the video that Trevor was playing in parts of classic Yes songs when there was a reason there no guitar in those particular parts.

I hear Trevor Rabin is an ass and control freak.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Jan 3 2008, 11:16 AM)
For this album, I was able to look past the fact that Steve Howe was barely on it, that his guitar sound/tone was horribly thin and compressed, and that he was in England while the other three guys were in the Caribbean during the recording. They would mail tapes to him, and he would record his parts and mail them back. Maybe his parts made it, maybe they didn't. If read interviews with Howe where he has said he had great parts for Fist of Fire that never made it on the album. The "In the Big Fream" documentary trys to make it look like Howe was there, that he was in the studio while the rest of the guys were playing Cricket, but that was just some clever editing.

I had very low expectations going into this album. And, they were all confirmed. Right off the bat, it was obvious to me that the musical environment of the late 80's was just about the worst place that the classic lineup of YES could be forced to work. I don't know the technical jargon necessary to give an accurate accounting of what's going on here with the production....but, I sum it up with one word - 'sterile'. Same deal as with Presto, and during the same exact year, it seems like they wrote a bunch of songs and then deliberately drained all the life out of them with a sterile production job.

I think that the specific copy I have here might even be compounding the damage. Mine says Arista- BMG special product. And, the reason I'm wondering about the distribution is because there's absolutely no bass frequencies at all on this recording. Even the guitars are missing all bottom-end. THIN as an anorexic lass on diuretics. Thank goodness, Squire wasn't a part of this project. Because all of his work would have been wasted on this super thin mix anyhow. There's decents moments of creativity scattered throughout the album. Few and far in between, but they're there. But, something like Teakbois is enough to drive a man to murder. It's awful and I want to stab it repeatedly....The ABWH tunes on 'Union' are far superior to everything here, with the exception of Order of the Universe. And, say what you will about that album, but at least it doesn't make me want to kill.

QUOTE (Maestro @ Aug 13 2008, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 11:03 PM)
I should hear this.

yes.gif

It's worthwhile.

no.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 13 2008, 06:35 AM)
QUOTE (Maestro @ Aug 13 2008, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 11:03 PM)
I should hear this.

yes.gif

It's worthwhile.

no.gif

Come now, it has a FEW redeeming characteristics... i.e., it's not ALL that bad, really, is it? Afterall, it's still prog.

It's funny, but I liked that album at first, but then I just couldn't get into it.

However, "Themes", the opening track, has some of the best Wakeman playing I've heard.

"Birthright"? I can't get past Jon Anderson speaking in some foreign tongue and I'm assuming it's aborigine since the song has to do with Australia's independence from England (or something)

"The Meeting" is also a good tune. Like I said earlier, Rick Wakeman played this song on his solo tour back in 2003.

"Teakbois" is like Yes trying to do the Loveboat theme. It just ain't right.

The other tunes I can't even remember but I am not interested in playing it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 2 2008, 03:40 PM)
I'm not crazy about this album. Even though it's technically not a Yes album, it's tough to listen to this and not think, "How much better would this have been if Chris Squire were there?"

goodpost.gif

Although I've taken a liking to the song Birthright...Prolly cos of Wakey's keys in it...

Oh man, I think I've only listened to it like once or twice. It's alright - I'll try and listen to it this weekend.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 14 2009, 01:47 PM)
Oh man, I think I've only listened to it like once or twice. It's alright - I'll try and listen to it this weekend.

Get back to us once you can take a good impression

Archived