Coheed & Cambria

The Dali

right that song sucks...

here's the kind of thing i'm referring too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbx6rGNmvB0

That one and:

Coheed are better band now that successfully incorporates 80's, prog, and emo stuff into a quality package. Though I do agree that the 1st album is way better the second one by alot

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 17 2008, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 17 2008, 09:20 AM)
See, I think this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWd2QQTGJs0

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2dYicFvLac

are their best songs. They were more post-hardcore back then. I don't like this type of stuff though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y96koKa2PSE

Heard the term artistic growth?

In Storm's defense, their "artistic growth" has been fairly limited. My friend played their newest album (Good Apollo II, No World For Tomorrow, whatever the f***ing title is) in the car today, and it reminded me how completely bland and full of filler it is. It's like they did a second, worse take of Good Apollo I. Which wasn't THAT bad.... Second Stage and In Keeping Secrets are good records though.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Feb 17 2008, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 17 2008, 09:20 AM)
See, I think this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWd2QQTGJs0

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2dYicFvLac

are their best songs. They were more post-hardcore back then. I don't like this type of stuff though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y96koKa2PSE

Heard the term artistic growth?

So if I don't like their new stuff it means I'm against artistic growth? Come on now man, I'm all for a band trying new stuff. I love what Rush did in the 80s for example. I just don't think Coheed have grown in particularly good direction, just gotten more derivative. Here let me use some Finbars so nobody gets mad though. smilies-8579.png smilies-8579.png smilies-8579.png smilies-8579.png smilies-8579.png

Edited by Storm Shadow

Never heard any of their music before so I gave a listen to the songs people have linked to and 062802puke_prv.gif . Sorry there's nothing in those songs I'd want to listen to again. Someone mentioned Alien Ant Farm. They're like a bad version of them. I'd rather (please don't make me) listen to Good Charlotte. Do Coheed have any ROCK songs in their repertoire? How about some acoustic stuff?

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 20 2008, 12:09 AM)
Never heard any of their music before so I gave a listen to the songs people have linked to and  062802puke_prv.gif .  Sorry there's nothing in those songs I'd want to listen to again. Someone mentioned Alien Ant Farm. They're like a bad version of them. I'd rather (please don't make me) listen to Good Charlotte. Do Coheed have any ROCK songs in their repertoire? How about some acoustic stuff?

I dig them.

One of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlaUq-MzNQ

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Feb 17 2008, 12:34 PM)
Coheed are better band now that successfully incorporates 80's, prog, and emo stuff into a quality package. Though I do agree that the 1st album is way better the second one by alot

There's no emo in their music.

And to the guy who asked if they have "rock" or "acoustic" songs... raising that question proves you've never actually listened to them.

QUOTE (The Dali @ Dec 27 2007, 12:37 PM)
This may have been discussed previously, but since I'm a newbie and didn't find it in the search records I thought I'd throw it out there...

Any Rush fans like Coheed and Cambria? I just got into them about 2 months ago (I was watching some music channel and their recent song The Running Free came on and I was hooked)... I liken them to a mixture of Rush and Iron Maiden with fewer solos.

Just wondering what people think out there... later.

i heard that when someone said "hey you've been compared to Rush" they replied "we've never heard rush" lol

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 20 2008, 10:32 PM)
And to the guy who asked if they have "rock" or "acoustic" songs... raising that question proves you've never actually listened to them.

Uh, I never said I did. Read my post again. I said I listened to the songs that people had linked to on this thread. That's it. That's why I asked if people had links to other songs that could be of interest to my ears.

To appease you I've gone back and listened to StormS and OSull's (as well as Joshua's) song picks again. I was harsh. A Favor House Atlantic and Ten Speed are OK pop tunes, although nothing I'm going to lead myself to listening. Mother Superior starts off swell but again doesn't sustain itself. Their brand of rock is muted, even when they decide to rock. It's a little too cool10.gif for my taste. Maybe live their music comes alive? The vid for Delerium Trigger implies this.

BTW, the songs I listened to sound emo-ish to me. Whether they actually are or aren't would mean I'd have to care enough about emo (pro or con) to distinguish a difference.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 21 2008, 01:47 PM)
BTW, the songs I listened to sound emo-ish to me. Whether they actually are or aren't would mean I'd have to care enough about emo (pro or con) to distinguish a difference.

Emo is nothing more than that exact sound, I wasn't using Emo as a derogatory word (I actually LIKE some of it) just an umbrella term for a specific sound no more or less relevent than something like "New Wave". In my other post I was a bit hard on AFHA I actually really like that song.

If you don't like those I can't think of anything else that would grab you immediatly, Coheed are pretty consistant quality wise for better or for worse here's one you could give a try I guess:

The Crowing; Ignore the video

So I recently went on a trip with someone who was listening to some of their stuff, and I have to revise my opinion a bit...second and third album aren't as bad as I thought. There's still some stuff that annoys me though, and I'd still take the first album over anything else they've done.

QUOTE (The O' Sullivan Factor @ Mar 21 2008, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 21 2008, 01:47 PM)

Emo is nothing more than that exact sound, I wasn't using Emo as a derogatory word (I actually LIKE some of it) just an umbrella term for a specific sound no more or less relevent than something like "New Wave". In my other post I was a bit hard on AFHA I actually really like that song.

If you don't like those I can't think of anything else that would grab you immediatly, Coheed are pretty consistant quality wise for better or for worse here's one you could give a try I guess:

The Crowing; Ignore the video

If C & C are a good example of emo, then I guess emo is not for me. Their music isn't loud/fast/heavy/depressing/catchy enough for me.

bumper.gif

Just getting into this band myself, after a recommendation of some people that I work with.

I've got their first 3 albums, and will be picking up the most recent pretty soon..

Claudio Sanchez's voice is a bit of an acquired taste, (it took me a while to get used to his voice) but the playing is there, and is really great..

I would really like to see this band live. (I missed Bonaroo, even though I live a half hour from where it takes place)

Another Question.......... for those of you who have "Neverender" Live... There are like a million versions of that thing.. which is the best one for under 30 bucks.. ( I would like the ultra delux...but its outta the price range)

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 18 2009, 07:11 PM)
bumper.gif

Just getting into this band myself, after a recommendation of some people that I work with.

I've got their first 3 albums, and will be picking up the most recent pretty soon..

Claudio Sanchez's voice is a bit of an acquired taste, (it took me a while to get used to his voice) but the playing is there, and is really great..

I would really like to see this band live. (I missed Bonaroo, even though I live a half hour from where it takes place)

Claudio Sanchez's voice is a bit of an acquired taste. . .

He sounds like a little girl that got kicked in the balls.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 20 2009, 05:32 AM)
bumper.gif

LOL

but read that back to me and tell me what's wrong Jack! wink.gif

.........aside The music is great, and the vocalist has grown on me... I'd imagine Geddy's voice had to grow on alot of people as well.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 20 2009, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 20 2009, 05:32 AM)
bumper.gif

LOL

but read that back to me and tell me what's wrong Jack! wink.gif

rofl3.gif