Holiday Cooking

Pags

i just took out of the over Caramel 'N Chocolate Pecan Bars that I made.

Once they have sufficiently cooled, I will let you know whether they are any good or not. I got the recipe inside a Land O Lakes stick butter package and decided to make them in lieu of the sugar cookies I usually make at Christmas.

Still have to understand what Xmas menu will be this year but, alas, since my mother and my aunties left this valley of tears the homemade tortellini are just a distant memory.....
  • Like 1

Still have to understand what Xmas menu will be this year but, alas, since my mother and my aunties left this valley of tears the homemade tortellini are just a distant memory.....

I love tortellini, especially homemade! Searched in desperation for a genuine Italian restaurant when I came out here and could not find one. The first one I went into, I asked for Veal Saltimbocca alla Romana and they said "Huh?" Okay, how about Veal Parmesan? Fine. What do they bring me? One of those nasty fabricated veal things and not an actual cutlet. Awful. Dessert time was no better. I asked for tortoni, and was told "Never heard of it."

• Like 1

i just took out of the over Caramel 'N Chocolate Pecan Bars that I made.

Once they have sufficiently cooled, I will let you know whether they are any good or not. I got the recipe inside a Land O Lakes stick butter package and decided to make them in lieu of the sugar cookies I usually make at Christmas.

These Caramel 'N Chocolate Pecan Bars are absolutely delicious! :)

I love tortellini, especially homemade! Searched in desperation for a genuine Italian restaurant when I came out here and could not find one. The first one I went into, I asked for Veal Saltimbocca alla Romana and they said "Huh?" Okay, how about Veal Parmesan? Fine. What do they bring me? One of those nasty fabricated veal things and not an actual cutlet. Awful. Dessert time was no better. I asked for tortoni, and was told "Never heard of it."

Well, I've never even heard of 'tortoni'....

• Like 1

Well, I've never even heard of 'tortoni'....

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: So much for its authenticity! But you will find it on most Italian restaurant menus here in the States.

I miss making the amount of cookies I used to with the kids to help me. We had a lot of good recipes! Sugar cookies, sugar cookies with sprinkles, molasses cookies, snickerdoodles, something everyone in Pittsburgh calls Russian tea cakes (although they are not cakes), and some type of pastry my friend's aunt taught us to make with a flat cookie on the bottom, cookie with a hole cut out on the top, and apricot preserves in the middle. Kind of like a thumbprint cookie, but different. And also my grand aunt's Austrian horseshoe cookies!

I'm making myself hungry!! I will probably only do sugar cookies and molasses cookies this year.

ANOTHER thing I used to do for the holidaze that I no longer have time for! Was hardcore into holiday cookie making, and 4 kinds: Russian Tea Cakes (which were also known as Mexican Wedding Cakes), peanut butter cookies, Monster Cookies (chocolate chip w/nuts, raisins, rolled oats, cocounut, and M & M's), and Lebkuchen (a German spice cookie with candied fruits).

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

Cornish game hens for Christmas. We made cabbage rolls today...and they were delish!

Cabbage rolls - are you talking about Golumpki, stuffed cabbage?

Rice & sausage stuffed cabbage leaves, cooked in tomato sauce.

http://ralphsag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/vt-recipe-e1376064474394.jpg

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Cornish game hens for Christmas. We made cabbage rolls today...and they were delish!

That's the same thing - you can use chopped meat or pork sausage. :)

That's the same thing - you can use chopped meat or pork sausage. :)

Good stuff!

^^^ :drool:

The home is filled with the smell of garlic, as the game hens are beginning to roast. Rice stuffing...and whatever else. Also :drool: .

Let the wine flow!

• Like 1