Working out & Eating Healthy

double bass chick

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 14 2008, 06:47 AM)
I struggle with eating enough vegetables, too. I'm slowly developing more of an appreciation, though, as I explore the whole foods idea. Part of me still has to MAKE myself eat right (for my son's sake, to set an example) but I'm adding more recipes each week that are healthy AND taste good.

Case in point: I made a vegetarian stuffed pizza last night - sauce, mushrooms, spinach, and mozzarella - and held my breath while my son took a bite. He said, "It's great, mom!" and ate his whole piece.

Whew! smile.gif

Hey that's great! Your pizza sounds yummy. I do not have any issues with vegetables. The more, the merrier.

But, I can always use new ideas. We need like a pinned food/dinner idea topic thread. Would anyone else be interested in this?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 14 2008, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 14 2008, 06:47 AM)
I struggle with eating enough vegetables, too.  I'm slowly developing more of an appreciation, though, as I explore the whole foods idea.  Part of me still has to MAKE myself eat right (for my son's sake, to set an example) but I'm adding more recipes each week that are healthy AND taste good.

Case in point: I made a vegetarian stuffed pizza last night - sauce, mushrooms, spinach, and mozzarella - and held my breath while my son took a bite.  He said, "It's great, mom!" and ate his whole piece.

Whew!  smile.gif

Hey that's great! Your pizza sounds yummy. I do not have any issues with vegetables. The more, the merrier.

But, I can always use new ideas. We need like a pinned food/dinner idea topic thread. Would anyone else be interested in this?

I have a weird taster. unsure.gif In my college genetics class, we did a test to see who could taste a compound called PTC. It's a genetic trait. Out of a class of 30-something, I was the only one who was a "taster." I think I pick up on flavors that some people don't notice in veggies. But, I'm getting there. smile.gif

Here's a link to our cooking thread. Let's keep it active!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...ndpost&p=253551

I need to get more Iron still I think... I got a blood test done when I was 13 (I'm 18 now) that said I needed more Iron and I kind of forgot about it... but my mom got tested and she needs more Iron and I was reading a pamphlet they gave her and it just kind of registered 'oh ya!' I was just reading through the symptoms... being female, bitchin' periods, weakness, lazy... whatever it was. I tried getting enough but I don't even think I eat that much to get 100%. I can't even remember if I ate dinner... I think I just picked left over broccoli out of a bag and had a cake that almost made me puke.. okay now I'm just drunk and rambling.

But the good news is I've gained 2 pounds!! I've been trying to get up to 125 from 118... it's been difficult... I eat a lot compared to what I used to but my metabolism just has sped the hell up I think. I'm going to the doc's in a few weeks so we'll see.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 14 2008, 09:43 AM)
I have a weird taster.  unsure.gif  In my college genetics class, we did a test to see who could taste a compound called PTC.  It's a genetic trait.  Out of a class of 30-something, I was the only one who was a "taster."  I think I pick up on flavors that some people don't notice in veggies.  But, I'm getting there. smile.gif

I'd never heard of this until about 6 months ago when my nephew's class did it. Did you use that little strip of paper-stuff? Out of every one in my sister's house (sis, BIL, niece and nephew) only nephew and my brother-in-law could taste that little strip. My sister and niece both said it tasted like paper, while my BIL was desperately trying to get the taste out of his mouth.

I just read that drinking 2-4 cups of green tea a day can help boost your metabolism and help you lose weight, is this true. Cause if it is, then bring on the green tea. Im having a lot of problems with my thyroid right now and I need something to help jump start my metabolism.

QUOTE (TheBlonde @ Apr 30 2008, 09:51 AM)
I have a weird taster.  unsure.gif  In my college genetics class, we did a test to see who could taste a compound called PTC.  It's a genetic trait.  Out of a class of 30-something, I was the only one who was a "taster."  I think I pick up on flavors that some people don't notice in veggies.  But, I'm getting there. smile.gif

I'd never heard of this until about 6 months ago when my nephew's class did it. Did you use that little strip of paper-stuff? Out of every one in my sister's house (sis, BIL, niece and nephew) only nephew and my brother-in-law could taste that little strip. My sister and niece both said it tasted like paper, while my BIL was desperately trying to get the taste out of his mouth.

Yes, exactly. Everyone in my class sat there with the paper on their tongues, looking bored...and as soon as it touched my tongue, I was going, "BLECH!!!" It was like chewing an aspirin.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 30 2008, 07:57 AM)
I just read that drinking 2-4 cups of green tea a day can help boost your metabolism and help you lose weight, is this true. Cause if it is, then bring on the green tea. Im having a lot of problems with my thyroid right now and I need something to help jump start my metabolism.

You probably aren't going to like my answer... I really think the only true way to boost your metabolism is through exercise. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to drink green or black teas as I've heard both have health benefits.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 30 2008, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (TheBlonde @ Apr 30 2008, 09:51 AM)

Yes, exactly. Everyone in my class sat there with the paper on their tongues, looking bored...and as soon as it touched my tongue, I was going, "BLECH!!!" It was like chewing an aspirin.

I can also taste it. We did an experiment in Biology 101 I remember. Everyone placed the strip on their tongue and a few people went, "I sort of taste something" but the professor said, "No, you'll know it if you can taste it." I put the strip in my mouth and ran to the sink feverishly trying to remove the nastiest taste I've ever tasted out of my mouth. I would describe the taste more like licking a car tire that has been dragged through a field full of farm ick.

QUOTE (izzy @ Apr 29 2008, 09:32 PM)
I need to get more Iron still I think... I got a blood test done when I was 13 (I'm 18 now) that said I needed more Iron and I kind of forgot about it... but my mom got tested and she needs more Iron and I was reading a pamphlet they gave her and it just kind of registered 'oh ya!' I was just reading through the symptoms... being female, bitchin' periods, weakness, lazy... whatever it was. I tried getting enough but I don't even think I eat that much to get 100%. I can't even remember if I ate dinner... I think I just picked left over broccoli out of a bag and had a cake that almost made me puke.. okay now I'm just drunk and rambling.

But the good news is I've gained 2 pounds!! I've been trying to get up to 125 from 118... it's been difficult... I eat a lot compared to what I used to but my metabolism just has sped the hell up I think. I'm going to the doc's in a few weeks so we'll see.

Be careful with iron; make sure you need a supplement before you add one. Too much can cause all sorts of nasty problems, the least of which is wicked constipation. In fact, I think iron toxicity can be fatal. Correct me someone, if I am wrong.

QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 30 2008, 02:16 PM)
I would describe the taste more like licking a car tire that has been dragged through a field full of farm ick.

That's pretty much how my BIL described it also, with emphasis on the ick. Rotten sewage was also something that came to his mind. I was curious as to whether or not I would taste it, since my sister couldn't. But I think I'll pass. tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 1 2008, 01:20 PM)
I can work out and eat at the same time, with a little juggling thrown in as well...

joker.gif

You must be related to a woman who attended a gym I used to frequent. I say "attended", because you couldn't call what she did a workout.

She only came in about 2x/month, and always had a shopping bag full of food with her. She and her bag of goodies would make their way to a treadmill, where she would proceed to walk, munching steadily, until all of the food was gone. This usually took about an hour and a half. Afterwards, the treadmill would be covered in Twinkie crumbs, loose chocolate chips, the occasional stray wrapper, what have you.

I suppose it's better than plopping your butt on the sofa to eat a big bag of junk food, but still. . . confused13.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 30 2008, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 30 2008, 07:57 AM)
I just read that drinking 2-4 cups of green tea a day can help boost your metabolism and help you lose weight, is this true.  Cause if it is, then bring on the green tea. Im having a lot of problems with my thyroid right now and I need something to help jump start my metabolism.

You probably aren't going to like my answer... I really think the only true way to boost your metabolism is through exercise. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to drink green or black teas as I've heard both have health benefits.

Agreed.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 1 2008, 08:49 PM)
I can work out and eat at the same time, with a little juggling thrown in as well...

joker.gif

You must be related to a woman who attended a gym I used to frequent. I say "attended", because you couldn't call what she did a workout.

She only came in about 2x/month, and always had a shopping bag full of food with her. She and her bag of goodies would make their way to a treadmill, where she would proceed to walk, munching steadily, until all of the food was gone. This usually took about an hour and a half. Afterwards, the treadmill would be covered in Twinkie crumbs, loose chocolate chips, the occasional stray wrapper, what have you.

I suppose it's better than plopping your butt on the sofa to eat a big bag of junk food, but still. . . confused13.gif

that is the funniest thing i have ever heard rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif working out with snacks......what is the point of that?

joker.gif

That would make me feel sick if I tried it...

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Adrianne @ Jun 1 2008, 12:04 PM)

joker.gif

wacko.gif

I feel sick just reading about it! 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 1 2008, 04:21 PM)

joker.gif

wacko.gif

It was weird. You couldn't help staring. You'd think she would be a little self-conscious about it.. .

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 1 2008, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 1 2008, 04:21 PM)

joker.gif

wacko.gif

It was weird. You couldn't help staring. You'd think she would be a little self-conscious about it.. .

Ne'er a crumb or do I leave...

trink38.gif