Working out & Eating Healthy

double bass chick

Validating the Benefits Of a Personal Trainer for Women

Does having worked with a Personal Trainer increase the likelihood those women will select an adequate resistance when training alone? Researchers at the College of New Jersey say... YES!

Forty-six women with prior resistance training experience participated in the study, which was published in the Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. Nineteen had worked with a Personal Trainer for at least 3 months prior to the study, and 27 had been resistance training for an equivalent time period independently. Using the chest press, leg press, seated row and leg extension machines, participants were asked to choose a resistance that could be performed for 10 repetitions.

Results showed that the PT group self-selected resistances that were on average ~51.4% of 1RM, nearly 10% higher than the non-PT group who chose weights that were ~42.3% of 1RM. In addition to the main findings, max strength for leg press and leg extension exercise was greater for the PT group, but not chest press. Interestingly, the women who worked with a PT reported consistently using 3 sets of 15-20 repetitions, while the non-PT groups reported doing 3 sets of 10-15 repetitions.

Strength researchers suggest that although beginners may benefit from using a resistance equivalent to 45% of their 1RM, as training age increases so must intensity to sustain progress. Consequently, more advanced trainees require 60-80% of 1RM to improve strength and hypertrophy, up to >85% in the most highly trained individuals.

Surprisingly, the women in the current study who were self-trained self-selected intensities that were more than 10% lower than the untrained women in a similar study published nearly one year ago. Unfortunately, although the women who had worked with a Personal Trainer used a greater resistance in this study, their self-selected resistance was still lower than is necessary for stimulating adaptation.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, I've been trying to do some cardio 4-5 times a week (ok only for the last week) but it's a start.

I'm off for about 15 minutes while I try this work out thing. Maybe I'll pop in an old VHS of sweating to the oldies after.

God, I feel old and outta shape. trink39.gif to building up some stamina.

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 20 2008, 09:36 AM)
ok, I've been trying to do some cardio 4-5 times a week (ok only for the last week) but it's a start.

I'm off for about 15 minutes while I try this work out thing.  Maybe I'll pop in an old VHS of sweating to the oldies after. 

Hey, starting off exercising 4-5 times a week is an amazing start. Most people and doctors would probably recommend at least three times a week so you're obviously a little more serious and motivated. It can be rough in the beginning because you don't see fast results, the ol' bod gets sore and as you mentioned, it's hard to sustain a certain level of exertion in the beginning. I found that it took me a long time to build up my stamina. But over time it does build up and anyway you just plain get used to exercising. Plus, the upside is you get to eat more because your metabolism is faster.

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 20 2008, 09:46 AM)

I'm off for about 15 minutes while I try this work out thing.  Maybe I'll pop in an old VHS of sweating to the oldies after. 

Hey, starting off exercising 4-5 times a week is an amazing start. Most people and doctors would probably recommend at least three times a week so you're obviously a little more serious and motivated. It can be rough in the beginning because you don't see fast results, the ol' bod gets sore and as you mentioned, it's hard to sustain a certain level of exertion in the beginning. I found that it took me a long time to build up my stamina. But over time it does build up and anyway you just plain get used to exercising. Plus, the upside is you get to eat more because your metabolism is faster.

Thanks. smile.gif

Right now it's just getting on the stupid stair stepper & it's too cold to go outside and try something more fun.

maybe by the time the warm weather hits, I can handle some time doing something more fun..... sports with the kidlings, roller blading, biking....

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 20 2008, 10:10 AM)
Thanks. smile.gif

Right now it's just getting on the stupid stair stepper & it's too cold to go outside and try something more fun.

maybe by the time the warm weather hits, I can handle some time doing something more fun..... sports with the kidlings, roller blading, biking....

I hear you. I'm quick to blame the weather for not wanting to get out and go running. "It's raining," "It's cold," "It's windy," etc. But because I have this unnatural love affair with food, I have to get out and go running. It's so much more fun to get out when the weather is nice though. It's the best motivator!

Stair steppers are nice. They're great for working the backside. I keep trying to remind myself to take stairs instead of elevators and escalators.

I'm off for about 15 minutes while I try this work out thing. Maybe I'll pop in an old VHS of sweating to the oldies after.

good for you Sunny!

getting there IS half the battle

keep it up girl!!

work it!

kishug.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 18 2008, 05:25 PM)
Thing is, there's a good number of people who join gyms specifically to meet people. I've belonged to co-ed gyms and a women-only gym. The women-only gym was good because everyone left everyone alone and no one tried to look "pretty." The co-ed gyms are murder. Lordy. Women in full-on makeup, sporting matching gym outfits (pants MUST match top) wearing perfume. Cuz nothing is sexier than a woman drenched in sweat with mascara running down her face while the lovely aroma of strong perfume and perspiration fills the air around her. Plus the men are watching you and that just gets creepy. Big time creepy. I actually contemplated joining a new co-ed gym but the guy leading me around, showing me the equipment kept winking at me while explaining that since I don't have manly testosterone, of which he had an overabundance of, I really didn't need to know how to use all the machines. You know, have to keep looking like a girl and stuff. Oy. I just go running outdoors now. Much easier.

laugh.gif That is too funny! Typical though. I don't think having so many mirrors in the place helps either. The overflexing is hysterical. "Testostris Maximus". laugh.gif

Thanks for the info LadiRushfan. That was an imformative read biggrin.gif

Thing is, there's a good number of people who join gyms specifically to meet people. I've belonged to co-ed gyms and a women-only gym. The women-only gym was good because everyone left everyone alone and no one tried to look "pretty." The co-ed gyms are murder. Lordy. Women in full-on makeup, sporting matching gym outfits (pants MUST match top) wearing perfume. Cuz nothing is sexier than a woman drenched in sweat with mascara running down her face while the lovely aroma of strong perfume and perspiration fills the air around her. Plus the men are watching you and that just gets creepy. Big time creepy. I actually contemplated joining a new co-ed gym but the guy leading me around, showing me the equipment kept winking at me while explaining that since I don't have manly testosterone, of which he had an overabundance of, I really didn't need to know how to use all the machines. You know, have to keep looking like a girl and stuff. Oy. I just go running outdoors now. Much easier.

laugh.gif That is tooo funny! Typical though. All the mirrors in the place sure don't help any. The overflexing is hysterical. "testostris maximus" laugh.gif

Thanks for the info Ladirushfan! An insightful read biggrin.gif

Treeduck you crack me up laugh.gif Was that the gym you trained at for the 78' Olympics??

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Feb 21 2008, 11:48 PM)

laugh.gif That is tooo funny! Typical though. All the mirrors in the place sure don't help any. The overflexing is hysterical. "testostris maximus" laugh.gif

Thanks for the info Ladirushfan! An insightful read biggrin.gif

Treeduck you crack me up laugh.gif Was that the gym you trained at for the 78' Olympics??

That's right, the duck olympics...and I could have had a ton of gold medals if I'd not been disqualified for six counts of illegal feather grease...

ph34r.gif wacko.gif angry.gif biggrin.gif

I never goto the gym... I used to for a few years I used to work out 3 times a week for a couple hours each time because I had nothing better to do, but there was always a bunch of creepy guys or 'tards from my school that I knew so I just stopped going. Now I just go for walks, but screw running and all that other junk, the only time I run is to catch the train or a bus... good enough for me anyways.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this book in another thread, but I'd like to recommend it to you ladies. It's called French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano. I recently bought my own copy after originally checking it out from the library, and I've been struck once again by what a difference there is between how Americans eat and how Europeans eat.

This book is a lot of fun to read, and it has some really great tips about how to change your lifestyle without a bit of deprivation - it's all about balance and making wise choices. It was quite a revelation in my mind to think about it this way: putting the best possible food into your body (not junk or tons of sugar) is actually a way to pamper yourself.

Anyway, pick up this book if you're interested in a truly healthy lifestyle without deprivation.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 17 2008, 11:23 AM)
I can't remember if I've mentioned this book in another thread, but I'd like to recommend it to you ladies. It's called French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano. I recently bought my own copy after originally checking it out from the library, and I've been struck once again by what a difference there is between how Americans eat and how Europeans eat.

This book is a lot of fun to read, and it has some really great tips about how to change your lifestyle without a bit of deprivation - it's all about balance and making wise choices. It was quite a revelation in my mind to think about it this way: putting the best possible food into your body (not junk or tons of sugar) is actually a way to pamper yourself.

Anyway, pick up this book if you're interested in a truly healthy lifestyle without deprivation.

I've seen that book! There's also the book, "Skinny Bitch" that's supposedly funny and gives good hints/tips.

I don't necessarily subscribe to certain diet plans or whatnot. I think different approaches work for different people. For me, I prefer to eat whatever I want but in moderation. I don't deny myself anything. What's the fun in that?! However, because I don't deny myself, I have to go out running everyday and I go every single day for at least an hour. So I guess I do sort of follow the regimen in the Guiliano book then?? Hmmm... maybe I will peruse it for some tips.

I never work out and I always eat what I want. I also don't weigh too much but the pounds are finally packing on. I weigh 125, if I get to 150 I will start eating healthy and working out. The only other time I weighed 125 was 9 months pregnant. For 33 years I was 105, starting to bother me.

I just got back from the organic food store and I found some good stuff today. smile.gif

Organic strawberries and bananas - I mean, sure they cost $350.00, but it's worth it, right? wacko.gif

Some organic "pop-tarts" (cherry pomegranate) and trail mix, some Greek yogurt to use as a starter in my new yogurt maker, and a water bottle that filters as you drink. I always drink bottled water and I hate having to toss so many bottles every day (well, recycle).

Also, I bought some Agave nectar. Anybody use that for sweetening? I tasted it and it was really good, so I'm hoping to adapt it for use in recipes.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 26 2008, 12:43 PM)
I just got back from the organic food store and I found some good stuff today. smile.gif

Organic strawberries and bananas - I mean, sure they cost $350.00, but it's worth it, right? wacko.gif

Also, I bought some Agave nectar. Anybody use that for sweetening? I tasted it and it was really good, so I'm hoping to adapt it for use in recipes.

biggrin.gif

Have never tried Agave nectar as a sweetener. But I'm curious about it. When you try it, let us know what you think.

The "organic" places can be on the pricey side (depending on what you're buying) but I also find the best things there! Do you have a Trader Joe's by you or a PCC? I love, love, love Trader Joe's. They're the best. It's the only place I buy snacking things. Have you ever tried Pirate's Booty or Snapea Crisps? It's nearly impossible for me to not eat an entire bag of either in one sitting.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 26 2008, 03:43 PM)
I just got back from the organic food store and I found some good stuff today.  smile.gif

Organic strawberries and bananas - I mean, sure they cost $350.00, but it's worth it, right?  wacko.gif

Some organic "pop-tarts" (cherry pomegranate) and trail mix, some Greek yogurt to use as a starter in my new yogurt maker, and a water bottle that filters as you drink.  I always drink bottled water and I hate having to toss so many bottles every day (well, recycle).

Also, I bought some Agave nectar.  Anybody use that for sweetening?  I tasted it and it was really good, so I'm hoping to adapt it for use in recipes.

biggrin.gif

Funny you should mention the agave nectar. I just tried it for the first time this past Sunday. I think I'm going to buy some and try using it in place of honey. Not that there's anything wrong with honey, but the agave wasn't as strongly sweet. It just had a more pleasant flavor to it.

Berries are particularly susceptible to pesticides. They don't have the same thick outer skin that other fruits like bananas have -- berries soak all those pesticides right in. You can get away with non-organic bananas (though organic ones don't spoil as fast), but organic berries are key.

And you know those pop-tarts rule. Less sugar + more real ingredients = YUM. drool1.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 26 2008, 03:21 PM)
I just got back from the organic food store and I found some good stuff today.  smile.gif

Organic strawberries and bananas - I mean, sure they cost $350.00, but it's worth it, right?  wacko.gif

Also, I bought some Agave nectar.  Anybody use that for sweetening?  I tasted it and it was really good, so I'm hoping to adapt it for use in recipes.

biggrin.gif

Have never tried Agave nectar as a sweetener. But I'm curious about it. When you try it, let us know what you think.

The "organic" places can be on the pricey side (depending on what you're buying) but I also find the best things there! Do you have a Trader Joe's by you or a PCC? I love, love, love Trader Joe's. They're the best. It's the only place I buy snacking things. Have you ever tried Pirate's Booty or Snapea Crisps? It's nearly impossible for me to not eat an entire bag of either in one sitting.

Yeah...pricey is right! Ouch!

We don't have a Trader Joe's here in East Buddha. We just got a Whole Foods fairly close to where I work, but JEEZ...talk about pricey.

If I was rich, I'd open a Trader Joe's. I'll bet one would do well here...

I will report back on the nectar. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 26 2008, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 26 2008, 03:21 PM)

biggrin.gif

Yeah...pricey is right! Ouch!

We don't have a Trader Joe's here in East Buddha. We just got a Whole Foods fairly close to where I work, but JEEZ...talk about pricey.

If I was rich, I'd open a Trader Joe's. I'll bet one would do well here...

I will report back on the nectar. smile.gif

Whole Foods is a really good place, definitely! The ones by me have the best beer selections, but they make you walk through the stinky cheese to get to the beer.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 26 2008, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 26 2008, 03:43 PM)

Some organic "pop-tarts" (cherry pomegranate) and trail mix, some Greek yogurt to use as a starter in my new yogurt maker, and a water bottle that filters as you drink.  I always drink bottled water and I hate having to toss so many bottles every day (well, recycle).

biggrin.gif

Funny you should mention the agave nectar. I just tried it for the first time this past Sunday. I think I'm going to buy some and try using it in place of honey. Not that there's anything wrong with honey, but the agave wasn't as strongly sweet. It just had a more pleasant flavor to it.

Berries are particularly susceptible to pesticides. They don't have the same thick outer skin that other fruits like bananas have -- berries soak all those pesticides right in. You can get away with non-organic bananas (though organic ones don't spoil as fast), but organic berries are key.

And you know those pop-tarts rule. Less sugar + more real ingredients = YUM. drool1.gif

I'd read that about berries. scared.gif

Those pop-tarts RULE. 1022.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 26 2008, 01:29 PM)

Whole Foods is the priciest by far. But they are soooo nice. Trader Joe's looks like some mom and pop shop compared to Whole Foods. Their selections are really good though. I rarely go. They have good tea I recall.

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 26 2008, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 26 2008, 01:29 PM)
We don't have a Trader Joe's here in East Buddha.  We just got a Whole Foods fairly close to where I work, but JEEZ...talk about pricey.

Whole Foods is the priciest by far. But they are soooo nice. Trader Joe's looks like some mom and pop shop compared to Whole Foods. Their selections are really good though. I rarely go. They have good tea I recall.

The produce department is like a garden...

<sigh>

laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 26 2008, 04:25 PM)

1-0-0-1 is right.

i recently read an article in Fitness magazine (april 2008 issue) that said if your concerned about pesticides and fertilizers, one way to manage the expense is to limit your organic purchases to fruits and veggies that have the highest chemical load when conventionally grown.

the dirty dozen: (starting with the worst) peaches, apples, bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, lettuce, imported grapes, pears, spinach and potatoes.

for a complete list go to www.foodnews.org

use common sence. buy organic versions of foods whose skins are highly nutritious, and that your likely to eat. conversely, the thicker the peel or rind, the safer you are to go conventional.

also, don't forget your local farmers market. not only are you helping out your fellow neighbor, you'll also be decreasing the distance your food has to travel to reach your plate.

another tip: eat what's in season.

I haven't tried stevia. I keep shying away for some reason.

The agave nectar was a big hit at my house, though. We had some on toast, and I also used it to sweeten my homemade yogurt just a little.

smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 31 2008, 04:31 PM)
I haven't tried stevia. I keep shying away for some reason.

The agave nectar was a big hit at my house, though. We had some on toast, and I also used it to sweeten my homemade yogurt just a little.

smile.gif

You think the agave would work for making sweet tea? Or would you have to use a lot of it to make it sweet enough, which would not be very cost effective given how expensive it is?