Working out & Eating Healthy

double bass chick

Hey everyone! Is anyone here into working out & eating healthy? I changed my bad habits about 8 years ago & feel like a teenager. I have so much energy & feel great.

There are a couple of books that really changed my life. His name is Don Colbert. He has been on the best seller list. He is a Doctor & nutritionist. He has got several books out, but there are 2 that helped me immensely. Toxic Relief & What you Don't Know May Kill You. These books are wake up calls. I did a month & 1/2 Full detox/liver cleanse about 8 years ago & I do one every year. It healed me of Chronic Fatigue-COMPLETELY! Anyway, Just wanted to pass on some info biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi dbc

glad you're feelin so much better!

I've changed my eating habits over the past month. I've joined Slimming World ( UK ) and i've lost 7lb so far. Feelin good cuttin out the junk! Have had a couple of ' i want chocolate' moments which i have indulged. I think if you deny yourself all the time, then yr body will want it even more and then have a major blowout.

good luck with yr new active life! 653.gif

QUOTE (RockAngel @ Nov 26 2007, 11:51 PM)
Have had a couple of ' i want chocolate' moments which i have indulged. I think if you deny yourself all the time, then yr body will want it even more and then have a major blowout.

Cravings can even be helpful signals from the body!

A sudden craving for salty can mean that your body needs a touch more.

When you need a bit more protien, you might be drooling over peanut butter or some kind of meat.

Desires for something citrus might be your body saying "Vitamin C, please!"

Not saying that every craving is a signal of some sort of 'need'...

Sometimes ya just needs the chocolate! LOL

But those too, need to be satisfied now and again. When you change your eating habits, esspecialy if you're cutting things out... the body has been used to getting a lot more, and so the cut sends a signal that says "Conserve all calories!" 'Starvation mode', it's sometimes called, even if there's no danger of that happening. LOL. It's probably a survival thing from way back, when the next meal depended on a sucsessful hunt...

But indulge now and then, and the body says... "Oh, no problem!" And the occational 'splurge' can even help you drop a few more!

I don't know how exactly it works, but I've seen it happen. Many times.

interestingly enough, i was thinking the other day of starting a thread in here for the woman on diet, nutrion, and exercise...

we can use this one!

altho Riv had already started a thread on this board that i have posted a plethora of information in...

(here ya go: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8565 )

having one in here surely couldn't hurt!

most of the information i have and read is gender specific, so i hesitate posting it in the SWOLE thread because i don't think or know of too many of the NWW here go into the champion players section of the board.

being in the 30+ catagory wink.gif ... i personally do not feel it sucks one bit! (rolinda... dazed025.gif ) in fact, it has only been within the last 10 - 13 years since i started a regular routine of exercise and eating right!

honestly... i look and feel better now that ever before

i'm looking forward to being a regular contributor to this thread!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/7_5_138.gif

I've been working out regularly and eating healthy for well over a year now. I've been able to maintain my weight without trying too hard because of that. Being 5', if I put on a few pounds, it shows right away. The secret is to keep at it. yes.gif Never give up your good habits! no.gif

I started running in February and have pretty much stuck to it. I've also been doing yoga since September, and I love it! The yoga has really helped with core strength, and while I haven't lost a lot of weight, I've found that my waist is a bit smaller.

I'm 5'7" and nowhere NEAR petite, but I guess I'm pretty happy with how I look. Usually. For the most part. Sorta. laugh.gif

As far as eating...I do my best, but I'm not immune to the lure of the dark god, Chocolate. Sometimes you just gotta. yes.gif I don't eat a lot of salads, because lettuce just doesn't agree with me. Overall I do okay. No junk food or sodas. Lots of water. As little red meat as possible.

I looooooove how people b*tch about 30!!!!!!!!!!! wacko.gif fing.gif (It's all relative, eh?!?) laugh.gif

My energy levels increase every day that I walk at least several miles. If I need to skip a day here and there, I dramatically notice the sluggishness and fatigue creeping in. Walking helped me to recover from a debilitating back injury. Exercise also helped me to stop the medications the doctors prescibed for me, which I found were keeping me from my recovery.

I do keep to a rather strict nutritional program. I'm on a vegetarian diet - - no meats, fish, or eggs - - I do eat a little dairy with a splash of skim milk in my coffee or cheese on a pizza now and then. I don't eat white sugar (no sweets) fried foods, or most processed foods. I eat at least four apples a day for a natural sugar fix.

My diet probably sounds severe to most people, but trust me, it's worth the restrictions to feel fifteen years younger than I actually am. My blood pressure and cholesterol levels are so low that the doctors insist on repeating tests because they don't believe them.

GG - - I find it amusing that we both began our exercise regimens in February - - Mmmmmmmmm - - wouldn't have to do with the released rumors of the new album and tour, eh?!?!?!?! z7shysterical.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Nov 28 2007, 12:01 AM)
I looooooove how people b*tch about 30!!!!!!!!!!! wacko.gif fing.gif (It's all relative, eh?!?) laugh.gif

It certainly is. Try being 41! wacko.gif

I generally eat healthily and try to get to the gym a couple of times a week. But right now I'm working really hard - it's my last week at work before I start a completely new job - and haven't had time to exercise apart from going walking last weekend.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to keep colouring my hair, or whether to go grey. fists crying.gif Putting sensitizers on my scalp for no reason other than vanity seems on the one hand foolish, and on the other entirely necessary! laugh.gif

QUOTE (edie @ Nov 27 2007, 07:26 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Nov 28 2007, 12:01 AM)
I looooooove how people b*tch about 30!!!!!!!!!!! wacko.gif  fing.gif (It's all relative, eh?!?) laugh.gif

It certainly is. Try being 41! wacko.gif

I generally eat healthily and try to get to the gym a couple of times a week. But right now I'm working really hard - it's my last week at work before I start a completely new job - and haven't had time to exercise apart from going walking last weekend.

At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to keep colouring my hair, or whether to go grey. fists crying.gif Putting sensitizers on my scalp for no reason other than vanity seems on the one hand foolish, and on the other entirely necessary! laugh.gif

rofl3.gif I was 41 a looooooooong time ago!!! z7shysterical.gif You're toooooo cute!!!

bekloppt.gif edie!!!!!! 2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users): Tortoise and Hare, edie

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 27 2007, 12:15 PM)
I have to be careful dieting after some borderline eating disorder issues from a while back. sad.gif

gah me too. Winter is the worst because it's so damn cold out (Toronto area...) and I don't like to go outside to walk whatever I ate off, so I get tempted not to eat. sad.gif I can't wait until summer.

I'm one of those weird ones that has trouble keeping weight on, I had to gain weight to get into the military. But I have always been active. I played two sports in high school, picked up running 5 and 10k's while in the Navy, quit that after damaging ligaments in my ankle and discovered my real love: cycling. But I think that is a big key to fitness...finding something that you truly enjoy doing. I will be over six thousand miles on my bike by the end of this week, but when I look back at those miles many were errands around town, commuting to downtown from the 'burbs when I worked outside the home and such. I found ways to get on my bike, plus, it helped not having to pay for gas!

As for diet, I don't eat much red meat, no soda or highly processed foods, but I inhale lots of veggies, chicken, fish, fruit and pasta (I need the cards!). It must work, because I have gotten my husband to lose over seventy-five pounds in the last eighteen months. He is so excited to have to go shopping for smaller pants! laugh.gif tongue.gif Oh, but I do have a weakness for good chocolate!! Scharffenberger 63%... drool1.gif

Do you ladies notice though, as the seasons change, so does your eating? Now that snow is flying through the air, I am craving more heartier meals, chili and stick-to-yer-ribs stuff like that.

P.S. I am 37yrs old, but still get carded! confused13.gif

Great responses you guys thanks for sharing.

Ya, the trick is to not be too extreme and unrealistic. For the last 8 years I have been on the 90/10 or 80/20 eating plan. I hate using the word Diet because it's really called a lifestyle change. It's not about being skinny it's about being healthy. ( There is obviously a healthy weight for every height we should try to be). 80 or 90% of the food I eat is the best, Beans, fresh steamed Veggies that are still a little firm, fruit (everything but especially Blueberries, Rasp, Blackberries, straw etc...), nuts, Salmon, Sardines, Free-range chicken, almond butter, 2 to 3 quarts water a day etc.......Also very important is that I juice. Fresh juices. If you guys don't do this, you should really try it. VERY HEALTHY. I have a Jack LaLane & a Juiceman. I juice fresh cabbage, Broccoli, Carrots, Beets, Apples, Celery, Cauliflower, etc... Also I buy powdered Greens & Cod Liver Oil. It's sounds disgusting, but once you give it a little time & keep doing it. Not only will you really enjoy it, but your body will automatically crave the good stuff. You will feel fantastic!

I haven't drank soda in 8 years. My 10 to 20% will be the occasional scoop of ice cream, pizza, taco's, (the "not so good stuff") in slight moderation so I won't crave it. It really balances everything out. Along with working out & taking Quality vitamins, not the cheap stuff. There is a difference in vitamin quality. I have found that Solgar vitamins are some of the most potent. They are a little pricey, but worth it. You can only get them at a health food store, not a grocery store.

I love Dark Chocolate with 70% cacoa or higher. It's actually has more antioxidents than blueberries which is a lot. Only if it's 70% or higher. (There again I don't eat too much of that either. You can over do a good thing also). I also use Stevia sweetner which is all-natural from the health food store. It is 200 times stronger than sugar & is VERY healthy for you. It is very high Alkaline. Splenda is not natural. People are so deceived by that. If you need to sweeten something you should use Stevia. It is a ground up herb that tastes great IMO.

Regular table sugar is very toxic to your body. If you must have it, don't eat so much at one time which makes your blood sugar hike up unhealthily. Have small quantities every so often & eat it slow..

NO HYDROGENATED OIL!!!!!! DEADLY!! A lot of it stay's in your body & has a hard time coming out.

Anyway, I will get off my soap box now laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Edited by double bass chick

Considering I'll be 30 in a few years..... scared.gif (I can't believe it, time flies yes.gif ) my eating habits aren't that bad. I definitely make an effort to eat well, and of course I slip up every now and then. But I take my vitamins and exercise on a regular basis, even if it's just 30-45 minutes on the treadmill. Sodas are my weakness, and I'm really trying to cut down on those. tongue.gif

QUOTE (izzy @ Nov 27 2007, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 27 2007, 12:15 PM)
I have to be careful dieting after some borderline eating disorder issues from a while back.  sad.gif

gah me too. Winter is the worst because it's so damn cold out (Toronto area...) and I don't like to go outside to walk whatever I ate off, so I get tempted not to eat. sad.gif I can't wait until summer.

hug2.gif

great info dbc! and i agree, the word "diet" needs to be deleted out of our vocabulary....

it IS a lifestyle change

it IS eating healthier

i just read yesterday in my FITNESS mag that you can likely skip the multi if your consuming at least 1800 calories a day AND you are eating habits are generally balanced & helathy. ...meaning... lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, healthy fat & protein. if you're cutting calories, you then should take the multi.

but, by the same token, your body excretes most everything on a daily basis, so supplements & vitamins can't hurt.

grabbing the opportunity to exercise whenever you can is better than not doing it all together. i work out at LEAST 2 times a week. sometimes more, sometimes less....

hey man, life gets in the way, ESPECIALLY with the holiday season kicking into high gear!

any effort that is made... your body will thank you for it!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/smileys/thwhistling.gif

I need to eat better and exercise.

But I LIKE food. And I LIKE candy http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/smileys/thlollipop.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Nov 28 2007, 08:37 AM)
But I LIKE food. And I LIKE candy http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/smileys/thlollipop.gif

Oh, honey...me too! You gotta live a little, sayin'? Life's too short.

It's all about moderation. And I definitely practice moderation.

Sometimes.

blush4.gif

laugh.gif

Earlier this year, I cut out fast food (feeding kids in a hurry) and some soda. I started eating salads sprinkled with pine nuts, sunflower seeds, and craisins. Those are so good. I switched to eating chicken.

I have lost some weight, altho I don't weigh myself. I walk whenever I can, and maintain a horse. (good excersize)

Soda and coffee are my huge weaknesses.

I forgot to add, most of my pants I can now just pull off my hips without unbuckling them. I need to go shopping, but I hate shopping. If I eat anything more rich than what I have been doing, I feel so icky inside. I actually crave healthy stuff now.

Before my accident, I was running a couple miles a day and doing a lot of bicycling.

I need to get back to that.

Edited by Alsgalpal

Ya, before I did ,"THE CHANGE", I used to drink coke & sprite- a lot. I started first to cut out the coke because of the caffiene. It would give me irregular heartbeats & make me shake. I still drank Sprite, but the sugar content in both of them is just as bad. So I stopped them all together. 40 to 45 grams of sugar in a soda ? Insane. No wonder I felt like crap. Caffeine exhausts the adrenal glands, the phosphate depletes calcium from your bones, & the sugar depletes vitamins & attacks your immune system bigtime.. I tasted my husbands coke about 2 years ago just to see what it would taste like again & it almost made me sick. Extreme sweet & syrupy. I will stick with my water & de-caffinated Green tea. No love lost there laugh.gif

All I know is that all of this has cut my Anxiety & Stress down to nil & I sleep like a baby.

Anyone heard of Ezekiel bread? biggrin.gif

Yeah I gotta get back into shape. Been off on sick leave for too long sad.gif

I'm getting into pilates though, has anyone here tired that and if so does it really work?

Also Im trying to watch what I eat more.

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Nov 28 2007, 10:36 AM)
Anyone heard of Ezekiel bread? biggrin.gif

yes.gif

Very good.