Dexter!

Ya_Big_Tree

To the finales credit the very ending scene was actually good... It's definitely effective. Ambiguoity is the best way to leave your audience, it leaves them speculating and makes a lasting impression.

My take: I don't believe he's still killing - I think he's leading an empty life of regret, sorrow, and isolation as a lumberjack. And to me, that's the perfect ending to this all, even if the entire rest of the season was shit and only poked more plot holes into this joke of a show.

If he were still killing, now just as a lumberjack under a different alias - well, can we suddenly expect season 9 next year then? And Harry's gone, we know that from episode 11, so he's killing innocent people now? No, it really doesn't work. Or I mean - it wouldn't if this show decided to start to making sense. But it doesn't, so again: unequivical ending, have fun interpreting.

• Like 1

*******SPOILERS BELOW**********************

If I ever recommend this show to anyone, I would tell them to stop watching after season 4. Seriously, this is the ending we get after eight seasons? f**k Scott Buck who completely ruined this show. I always hate when they have a main character die in a show for no other reason than they just wanted to have a big death to end the show or a season with. That's exactly what they did here. Of the two main characters, the wrong one died. I can't believe Dexter doesn't get caught for being the bay harbor butcher and there is no indication that he was even under suspicion for anything except in season two and a little bit with Quinn back in season five.

So, somehow were supposed to believe Dexter survived driving his boat into the hurricane? I mean it's possible someone else was out on the water and saved him but he faked his own death so he could start new somewhere, so why would he risk anyone seeing him? I doubt anyone else would be out on the water with the hurricane approaching like that since everyone was evacuating Miami. So Dexter was able to survive but swimming away from the storm? Give me a break.

Deb's death makes the least sense of all. I guess because of shooting Leguerta you can say maybe she did need to pay for that but she was put in a bad position there having to choose between Leguerta and her brother. Deb was always the good one on the show and the one who always pulled through no matter how tough things were. Her character deserved a better then to have it end like that. Dexter should be the one who died or has to pay for the things he's done. Though I guess him living on with all those memories might be payment enough in the writers eyes. Also, Dexter is just able to walk into the hospital, cut off Deb's life support then wheel the body out and carry it to his boat without anyone noticing? I know people were preparing for the hurricane but somebody should still be there to keep an eye on things. I didn't like Deb getting tossed into the water by Dexter just as if she was on the same level as all the murdering scum Dexter dumped into the water before. No proper funeral or burial for her at all?

Some of the worst writing I've ever seen this season.

• Like 3

Writing was mediocre but there were some incredibly powerful images. I think a lot of them went over the heads of many viewers.
  • Like 1

Writing was mediocre but there were some incredibly powerful images. I think a lot of them went over the heads of many viewers.

As bad as the season was, and as bad as the season finale - the scene where Dexter takes a last look at Deb did get to me a bit. About as much as this show could get to me. This and the final scene in comparison to what could have been thoug is just pathetic.

The Dark Passenger Rises

I just hope the dark passenger could fin some peace in his future life, because he wasn't looking good in the last scene. How anyone could live all his life killing and live a normal life...

The only thing over viewer's heads was just what the hell was going on this season. Or how someone survives swimming in a hurricane. Powerful images can easily be manufactured but a coherent storyline, interesting plot lines any realistic actions are much more satisfying. Oh, and ending up a lumberjack. Never satisfying unless you sell paper towels.

• Like 1

The only thing over viewer's heads was just what the hell was going on this season. Or how someone survives swimming in a hurricane. Powerful images can easily be manufactured but a coherent storyline, interesting plot lines any realistic actions are much more satisfying. Oh, and ending up a lumberjack. Never satisfying unless you sell paper towels.

Wrong. Truly powerful images are based on archetypes that transcend a single culture. Basic plots are comparative chicken scratch. Shakespeare, for example, certainly didn't get by on plots. He stole many of them. He was a poet and wiz with imagery both in the language and on the stage.

I think you missed a great deal of what Dexter was about. Your loss.

some explanations on some questions about the last episode from the producers :

http://tvrecaps.ew.c...s-finale-recap/

I got a question for the producers -- how did you screw up so bad?

They phoned in most of the last season.

That last episode sucked, and I loved the show.

Wrong. Truly powerful images are based on archetypes that transcend a single culture. Basic plots are comparative chicken scratch. Shakespeare, for example, certainly didn't get by on plots. He stole many of them. He was a poet and wiz with imagery both in the language and on the stage.

The potential for "powerful images" were there...Deb dying should have been emotionally powerful but was completely lacking in, well, anything. Perhaps we are saying different things? Whatever. This once great series was totally gutted of any impact on the viewers and other than Dexter's awful decision to abandon his son with another serial killer, no impact on the cast. Makes zero sense. The circuitous and nonsensical storylines completely robbed Dexter, as a show, as a narrative, of any satisfying or realistic conclusions.

Yes he's a tragic figure all alone and paying for his many sins. But it was such an absurd contrivance. But please enlighten me, enlighten us all how this final season and series finale was really high art that is over my head and I'm just too simple to grasp the significance of Dexter's sacrifice...or whatever the hell. Or don't. It doesn't matter. The show lost its way years ago and was way overdue to end and to end it with such weak and stupid storytelling was a shame.

The potential for "powerful images" were there...Deb dying should have been emotionally powerful but was completely lacking in, well, anything. Perhaps we are saying different things? Whatever. This once great series was totally gutted of any impact on the viewers and other than Dexter's awful decision to abandon his son with another serial killer, no impact on the cast. Makes zero sense. The circuitous and nonsensical storylines completely robbed Dexter, as a show, as a narrative, of any satisfying or realistic conclusions.

Yes he's a tragic figure all alone and paying for his many sins. But it was such an absurd contrivance. But please enlighten me, enlighten us all how this final season and series finale was really high art that is over my head and I'm just too simple to grasp the significance of Dexter's sacrifice...or whatever the hell. Or don't. It doesn't matter. The show lost its way years ago and was way overdue to end and to end it with such weak and stupid storytelling was a shame.

Yeah, I agree with some of this, particularly about the other story lines. I hope you don't watch Game of Thrones because those may drive you insane.

Yeah, I agree with some of this, particularly about the other story lines. I hope you don't watch Game of Thrones because those may drive you insane.

Well unlike Dexter, Game of Thrones already has it figured out how it's going to end. They aren't going to pull something stupid out of nowhere last minute unless Martin really goes insane