Why-Why-Zee or Why-Why-Zed?

Magnus

Zed, no question about it. Since it's a Canadian airport, saying 'why why zee' is wrong, IMO.

Up here in the Great White North, we also call a Chevy Z28 a Zed28, and the BMW Z3 or Z4 is a Zed3 or Zed4.

Isn't Zee Dutch for lake? tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 2 2007, 01:22 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 1 2007, 09:13 PM)
I have heard Geddy say Zee, sorry.

Hmm...on some bootlegs I've heard Geddy say zed! wacko.gif

Maybe it depends where he is! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Nov 2 2007, 12:11 AM)
I hate that pronounciation... not to denounce the people who pronounce it that way, but it sounds so stupid to me. YYZee is how I say it.

I feel the same about the Zee pronounciation. smile.gif

Yeah, it's definitely Y-Y-Zed. The boys are Canucks, and in Canada, we always say Zed, not Zee.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/arleen2112/TRF/flags233ra-4.gif

Except for one unforgivable time when Andy Frost of Q107 -- a classic rock radio station located right in the heart of Toronto -- said, "And that was Rush, live from their Exit...Stage Left album, performing Y-Y-Zee."

Don't worry, my goons got him for that!

yes.gif ... confused13.gif ... unsure.gif ...

QUOTE (Magnus @ Nov 1 2007, 06:41 PM)
I'm not interested in how *you* say it; I want to know how Geddy, Alex and Neil say it--the authoritative answer!

They say zed because they're Canadian, but they've also said in interviews that they don't care how people say it. They can call it zed or zee.

im english and i say YY Zee. zed is an ugly way of saying ZEE. it dosnt flow that well, does it? and you get toung tied if you try saying it repeatedly. as you do. then again, when i was younger i used to watch dragon ball 'zee' and i suppose i picked it up like that.

is bravado Bra-vah-do or Bra- Vaaa- Do?

QUOTE (Rush! @ Nov 2 2007, 08:37 PM)
I always though the whole YYZed thing was a play on words with Geddy's nickname. Zed/Ged.

unsure.gif

It's because it's the code for Toronto airport, isn't it?

I remember being very excited on arriving in Toronto and discovering this when I found YYZ on my luggage tag. biggrin.gif

How dopey am I? I thought they renamed the Toronto airport code to YYZ as a tribute to Rush...

And if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you... wink.gif

You say to-may-to; I say to-mah-to

You say po-tay-to; I say po-tah-to

To-may-to... to-mah-to

Po-tay-to... po-tah-to

Let's call the whole thing off!

In Canada we pronounce it as Zed by I call the American band Zee Zee Top. Ultimately, people are going to read the letters as they were taught them. Not a big deal really.

I thought it was pronounced "kickass"

why why zee

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 2 2007, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 2 2007, 05:45 AM)
I am a Zee person as well.

Can't it be both?  Because technically it's the same.  Still the last letter of the alphabet.

In that case, I'll start saying "Zed Zed Top" will I? laugh.gif

It is Y-Y- Zed, as that is the way they pronounce it. I heard Geddy with my own ears call it this on the Moving Pictures and Signals tours.

Incidentally, the only ones who pronounce it Zee are Americans or those taught English by an American.

Well, I am English taught by English and I pronounce it (for this song title anyway) YYZee

QUOTE (Mindcore @ Nov 3 2007, 05:40 AM)

In Canada we pronounce it as Zed by I call the American band Zee Zee Top. Ultimately, people are going to read the letters as they were taught them. Not a big deal really.

Ya no shit.

• Like 1

QUOTE (RushRushRush @ Nov 4 2007, 01:24 PM)
I'm Canadian and say it YYZee... It just sound right to me. I never liked that Us Canadians say Zed.. Even in the alphabet it sounds stupid!! The song has a nice flow and then.... ZED. Ewww~!

Get out of our country. tongue.gif