Why-Why-Zee or Why-Why-Zed?

Magnus

And why does everyone assume Red Barchetta is inspired by a Ferrari?

Because it's a reasonable assumption to make.

Not really. Not when you consider the meaning of the word 'barchetta'. And the fact that Neil like most writers try to be ambiguous in the words they use.

People always try to search too hard for the meaning of things and take it too far.. Which I guess brings us back to the original thread topic lol

6:47 bitches!!! hahaha :P

this is actually a cool interview!

Show me a video of a Parisian calling Paris "Paree", and I'm still not saying it that way. Unless you're talking about names of people, people say names in their own language, not in the original language.

Not really. Not when you consider the meaning of the word 'barchetta'.

"Small boat". It's completely unreasonable to think the song is about a boat, of any size.

Even without the live versions of the song having Geddy introduce the song being "about a car", there are plenty of clues in the song itself that the vehicle in question is a car.

It's reasonable to assume that the song is set in the future and thus it's reasonable to assume that the car is from the past, and wouldn't you know it, there just happens to have been a model of car, created by Ferrari, no less, called Barchetta.

Like I said, it's reasonable to assume Ferrari.

• Like 3

Show me a video of a Parisian calling Paris "Paree", and I'm still not saying it that way. Unless you're talking about names of people, people say names in their own language, not in the original language.

I've never heard anyone refer to the city of El Paso as 'The Step'.

Edited by KenJennings

I've never heard anyone refer to the city of El Paso as 'The Step'.

That's because the name in English is El Paso. See, it's easy to figure out the rules!

"Small boat". It's completely unreasonable to think the song is about a boat, of any size.

Even without the live versions of the song having Geddy introduce the song being "about a car", there are plenty of clues in the song itself that the vehicle in question is a car.

It's reasonable to assume that the song is set in the future and thus it's reasonable to assume that the car is from the past, and wouldn't you know it, there just happens to have been a model of car, created by Ferrari, no less, called Barchetta.

It doesn't hurt that Peart has explicitly said it's about a Ferrari Barchetta.

And they show pictures of a ferrari live when they play the song, IIRC.

I'm still chuckling at the idea that Neil's use of the name Barchetta in a song about a car is supposed to be ambiguous.

I'm still chuckling at the idea that Neil's use of the name Barchetta in a song about a car is supposed to be ambiguous.

I read the short story it's based on "a nice morning drive" I believe and there was no mention of small boats.

Ambiguous in the sense that it has to do with simply a car as opposed to a certain model of car.

As far as I know a Barchetta is a certain Italian style of sports car. Ya Ferrari made a model called a Barchetta but so did Fiat and probably many others.

Not sure where small boats come in when it's a song about a car but whatever.. Sorry I brought it up lol

Haven't seen that one. Guess I'm wrong if that's true..

He's said it in interviews, in Ghost Rider (I think he even said the song was about a specific year and model in there) and to the author of the short story (who had an MG in mind IIRC).

JARG brought up a "little boat" because that's what barchetta means in Italian.

Even if it's not true, you're wrong to disagree that assuming Ferrari is reasonable. Even if the assumption turned out to be wrong, it's still reasonable. It's a song about a car, the title of the song uses the word Barchetta. Ferrari makes a Barchetta. There's nothing unreasonable to assume the song was inspired by the Ferrari.

He's said it in interviews, in Ghost Rider (I think he even said the song was about a specific year and model in there) and to the author of the short story (who had an MG in mind IIRC).

JARG brought up a "little boat" because that's what barchetta means in Italian.

And I did that in direct response to "Not when you consider the meaning of the word 'barchetta'".

Even if it's not true, you're wrong to disagree that assuming Ferrari is reasonable. Even if the assumption turned out to be wrong, it's still reasonable. It's a song about a car, the title of the song uses the word Barchetta. Ferrari makes a Barchetta. There's nothing unreasonable to assume the song was inspired by the Ferrari.

There's no assumption. It's long established fact. Is there a less ambiguous song title in the catalog?

A Nice Morning Drive, written by Richard S. Foster (inspired the song)

Ferrari 166 S (was the imagined car in the song)

The song, "Red Barchetta", a futuristic story of man against an oppressive society, was inspired by Richard S Foster's "A Nice Morning Drive", a short story published in November, 1973 issue of the magazine Road and Track. In the original article, the protagonist drove an MGB. A former MGB owner himself, Rush lyricist Neil Peart exercised a little artistic license in changing the hero's car from an MGB to the car of Peart's dreams, the Red Barchetta, providing the song an eminently more stylish name.

"a red Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta (the 'hero' of an old Rush song, 'Red Barchetta')". - Neil Peart, Ghost Rider, pg. 132
  • Like 1

Rush says YY zed, I say YY Z

As a canadian I read YY Z as YY Zed! :P